Georgia Tech @ Duke (-17.5)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I thought I remembered that. All the GT drama queens act like Duke has b-slapped us around for years. That game was a stalemate until we decided to turn the ball over three times in a row.
Honestly they have 4 out of the last 5 years.
14 points in 18, 24 points in 17, thank god JT played out of his mind in 16, 13 points in 15, 14 was a weird game. But unfortunately Coach Cut has had our number the last few years.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I thought I remembered that. All the GT drama queens act like Duke has b-slapped us around for years. That game was a stalemate until we decided to turn the ball over three times in a row.
14 points in 18, 24 points in 17, thank god JT played out of his mind in 16, 13 points in 15, 14 was a weird game. But unfortunately Coach Cut has had our number the last few years.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If Coach Cut could stop CPJ’s offense, when CPJ unquestionably knew his own scheme inside and out and we ran it better than virtually anyone else, I don’t think Coach Cut will have any trouble figuring out what to do to stop our schizophrenic offense that even we don’t understand yet, much less execute with any rhythm or regularity.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He may have installed an option this year since he has a mobile QB. He doesn't run it much. Turnovers beat them against Pitt. Pitt got pressure on them and we have to do the same to have a real chance.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He may have installed an option this year since he has a mobile QB. He doesn't run it much. Turnovers beat them against Pitt. Pitt got pressure on them and we have to do the same to have a real chance.

I suspect it began as a way of preparing for us, maybe good vs good, and then moved into the rotation.

vpisu ran some triple, at least against us, a few years ago

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It was really odd to see Duke in our previous TO formation. I don't recall seeing it against Pitt.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
We have been here for years. Some of you guys have really short memories. Again, they have won 4 out of 5 by an average of 14.25 ppg. Being 17 point dogs isn't really that bad considering the recent history. Seems you guys are more upset about perception than actual results. This is the first year where losing to Duke is actually understandable.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well, three out of the past five years, the ACC scheduling gods gave Duke a bye the week before they played us in BDS. Add to that one year where they played a tune-up game against Army—while we were playing a tough away game against VT—the week before they played us. Oh, yeah...and in the fifth of those recent matchups, we played #11 Notre Dame the week before we played them.

I mean, for crying out loud...the last time Duke played in BDS and DIDN’T have a bye was 2010. Let that sink in a bit...

If, by “having our number”, you really meant “having Swofford’s number, along with some compromising photos”, you would have been correct. Cutcliffe couldn’t have had a better setup for playing us if he had set the schedules himself (and I’m not entirely sure he didn’t do just that).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
They have installed a play that is a copy of PJ flexbone with A and B back formation. I didn't notice it against Pitt but saw it the game before. Not sure if they used cut blocking or zone but they sure ran it. That tells me that Cut has some respect for what PJ ran. Also Duke has played Army so they have studied it. I will not be surprised if they run it again st us some after the Citadel.

Duke's scope in its use is very limited but the rocket toss and QB follow have worked well for them in select situations. Cutcl is using it to make D's spend time in game prep and it is used sparingly like the wildcat. He is definitely not changing his O to copy CPJ, but has selected a small portion of it to add to his O. tools.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Well, three out of the past five years, the ACC scheduling gods gave Duke a bye the week before they played us in BDS. Add to that one year where they played a tune-up game against Army—while we were playing a tough away game against VT—the week before they played us. Oh, yeah...and in the fifth of those recent matchups, we played #11 Notre Dame the week before we played them.

I mean, for crying out loud...the last time Duke played in BDS and DIDN’T have a bye was 2010. Let that sink in a bit...

If, by “having our number”, you really meant “having Swofford’s number, along with some compromising photos”, you would have been correct. Cutcliffe couldn’t have had a better setup for playing us if he had set the schedules himself (and I’m not entirely sure he didn’t do just that).
Maybe...... But I think Paul let this game get to him mentally. Bye week/prep game whatever. The product we put out there was bad.
I’m not saying what I says to **** on PJ. I loved his offense. I’m just calling it his Vegas and betters see it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have watched Duke a couple of times. They have solid lines on both sides of the ball. I think that alone spells trouble for us. I think their skilled position players are comparable to ours. They have a Senior QB who is average but unfortunately can escape the pocket and hurt you. Our QB is learning on the job. Their defensive linebackers are probably a little bit more talented than ours and our secondary is probably a tad better than theirs.

I think what gives a lot of us Tech fans pause is the results ytd out of this team. You can blame that on a lot of factors but at the end of the day, they just have not been good. There is no one on God's green earth that would love to see us get this thing turned around more than me. I have to tell you at this point I will believe it when I see it. Until I do, I think the current line is probably pretty accurate and may even be a little optimistic in our direction.

Go Jackets!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Maybe...... But I think Paul let this game get to him mentally. Bye week/prep game whatever. The product we put out there was bad.
I’m not saying what I says to **** on PJ. I loved his offense. I’m just calling it his Vegas and betters see it.
I get what you’re saying, and I tend to agree. I’d even take it further and say that the whole team let Duke (specifically Cutcliffe) get to them mentally—and that certainly magnified the advantage that Duke was getting from the conference.

That being said though, I think that if Duke hadn’t gotten consistent schedule advantages over us in the last five years, our record against them would have been more like 4-1 (or maybe 3-2), rather than 1-4.