Georgia Tech at Duke, Jan 26, 9pm, ESPN

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It was simple tonight they executed down the stretch and we didn't. Cost us in a tight game.
Mmm, partly true. We played poor offense most of the night, primarily due to lack of ball movement. Meanwhile, they made lucky shots down the stretch and got foul calls that were no calls earlier in the game.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner’s team is much improved offensively. His defenses have been consistently good. However, he has to learn how to manage player minutes and how to use the bench to rest his best players and the threat of the bench to motivate his best players.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The fatigue excuse is weak. We should have been up 10 at half and extended the lead to where it didn’t matter. I’m not sure if it was game plan or execution, but that was the worst offensive effort we’ve put together in a while against a fairly pedestrian defensive effort from Duke. Not much to be happy about after that showing.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Mmm, partly true. We played poor offense most of the night, primarily due to lack of ball movement. Meanwhile, they made lucky shots down the stretch and got foul calls that were no calls earlier in the game.
The game was tied with less than two minutes and then we didn't execute while they did.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The game was tied with less than two minutes and then we didn't execute while they did.
My point is that it had nothing to do with “down the stretch.” We didn’t really execute well all night outside of a short stretch in the second half. Poor showing overall should be the takeaway, not that we played well and fell apart

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this view. The sad part is we may be watching the team we built for 5 years to make the tourney fall flat. This was a big game for that goal. Still obtainable but the eye of the needle is getting smaller.

One thing I continue to wonder about is why we don't run sets to get Devoe catch and shoot shots. He is a great shooter and a below average guy trying to get his own shot or drive the paint.

Thought we would win this one. Hard to watch outside of Jose.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We can play Howard or Saba. Both have the ability to contribute. Just we had to commit to getting them adjusted early and we didn't. We went all in on a short bench tiny ball. It paid off in some games and has hurt us the last 2.
Does anyone know how the progression of David Didenko is going? I can't recall seeing him on the court.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this view. The sad part is we may be watching the team we built for 5 years to make the tourney fall flat. This was a big game for that goal. Still obtainable but the eye of the needle is getting smaller.

One thing I continue to wonder about is why we don't run sets to get Devoe catch and shoot shots. He is a great shooter and a below average guy trying to get his own shot or drive the paint.

Agree on Devoe. His contributions are disappointing. Also, I don’t understand why we didn’t lean on Jose at the end of this game. He was the only bright spot on offense and we just sent him the corner in several sets where he didn’t touch the ball for more than a second. Seemed crazy given how he was playing

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree about devoe. He should be a catch and shoot guy. But even when he does get open looks, I have never seen such a good shooter that is so hesitant to shoot the ball. I can’t count how many good shots he has passed up during his time here. I think part of the problem is that he seems to me to have a very slow shot wind up and release, so he has to be beyond wide open to get his shot off. It’s probably too late now, but I wish someone could coach him to get his shot off much more quickly.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
You have to get Devoe in the game. I not sure what you are trying to do/ prove. It’s just mind-boggling. I don’t care how much he is struggling. He basically didn’t play like the last 11 mins. It’s just so stupid. I can’t understand it. I wish fans could ask coaches those questions. He is one of your best players. Gotta play him.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
You have to get Devoe in the game. I not sure what you are trying to do/ prove. It’s just mind-boggling. I don’t care how much he is struggling. He basically didn’t play like the last 11 mins. It’s just so stupid. I can’t understand it. I wish fans could ask coaches those questions. He is one of your best players. Gotta play him.
If you send Pastner an email, he will answer it personally.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Not having James Banks is killing us. God I wish we didn’t appeal that first year. We got destroyed on the glass.
Jose is now become my second favorite GT basketball player ever! Might even pass Kenny before the year is done. I’ve never seen a kid give as much as him on the floor! I selfishly hope he and Moses use that free year next season. Of all the kids, he just seems like the type that would want it.
Devoe...... Idk if he’s halfway out the door or what but he looks like he just doesn’t want it anymore. Head down all the time, terrible decisions most of the time. He went from expecting big shots from him to being completely shocked if he makes something happen. Major disappointment.
Usher looked good in spurts. High motor all the time. I swear he should play Tight End lol.
Bubba is playing great all around ball. I’d like to see him use the free year as well.
Just a disappointing loss to a team we should have beaten by 10+....
Saturday vs FSU is an absolute must win!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Pastner’s team is much improved offensively. His defenses have been consistently good. However, he has to learn how to manage player minutes and how to use the bench to rest his best players and the threat of the bench to motivate his best players.
You put in the bench players (beyond Khalid and Kyle) and we typically start giving up a lot of points and not scoring many points. How do you suggest we counter that?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I kinda liked the new black and white stripe unis that Duke rolled out for this game.

We still have Duke and UVA in Atlanta later this year, which can get us on the other side of the bubble.

We have definitely got some late game issues to work out though. I'm a big believer in the trio of Usher, Wright, and Alvarado and if we can get some hot hands early, we're a hard team to beat.