Georgia Tech at Duke, Jan 26, 9pm, ESPN

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
* At some point in the second half, I noticed us running some very interesting 5 out motion. I've never seen us run it before. It looked a little like what Gonzaga is doing. I'd be very curious to see it it's something we continue. I need to go back and watch it again to try to figure out what I we were trying to do.

* I think Khalid needs more minutes generally. He's an elite defender and did a nice job on Hurt last night. I'm not sure how capable he would be to guard FSU's oversized point guard, but I'd try it.

/

What I better never see is Jose or Bubba guarding him.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WOW, I didn't see the game but looked at stats--it looked A LOT like uva game--Devoe and Mo shooting badly-Jose dominating- too few guys getting too many minutes AND-we lose at end.

This team is dangerous but limited-too erratic shooting, too small overall to defend (got killed on REBs last nite), and too short a bench--get worn out.
What really bothers me is this is the best Pastners got and what about NEXT yr.Devoe MIGHT be back but he is a real enigma now .Who knows about him next yr.We lose a BUNCH of talent in Srs.Fr don't do well in this league.Unless we get guys to stay or transfers, big trouble ahead.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
WOW, I didn't see the game but looked at stats--it looked A LOT like uva game--Devoe and Mo shooting badly-Jose dominating- too few guys getting too many minutes AND-we lose at end.

This team is dangerous but limited-too erratic shooting, too small overall to defend (got killed on REBs last nite), and too short a bench--get worn out.
What really bothers me is this is the best Pastners got and what about NEXT yr.Devoe MIGHT be back but he is a real enigma now .Who knows about him next yr.We lose a BUNCH of talent in Srs.Fr don't do well in this league.Unless we get guys to stay or transfers, big trouble ahead.

I've had a feeling for a while that Devoe just might be a grad transfer after this season. I hope not, but...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Blame me for the loss. I was doing some tax work and didn't turn to the game until the 3 minute mark. I jinxed us. My bad.:bag: I am highly superstitious when it comes to games. I don't change seats, go to the bathroom, or tune in late to a game etc if we are doing well. I broke this last night. Forgive GT Nation.
You had help. I was completely unprepared to have the game go on ESPN News. Missed the first 3-4 mins, a death sentence for all of GT sports when that happens.

At Vag my wife got me running late and don’t think I tuned in until halfway thru the 1st half. Very sorry fan performance on my part.

I own both losses and will do better.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You had help. I was completely unprepared to have the game go on ESPN News. Missed the first 3-4 mins, a death sentence for all of GT sports when that happens.

At Vag my wife got me running late and don’t think I tuned in until halfway thru the 1st half. Very sorry fan performance on my part.

I own both losses and will do better.

I thought we all agreed that @Supersizethatorder-mutt wasn't allowed in the chat until after the first half? He most certainly was in the chat in the first half and we had a terrible first half and eventually lost.

It's no one's fault but his. He obviously does not care about being a responsible GT fan.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Jose is now become my second favorite GT basketball player ever! Might even pass Kenny before the year is done. I’ve never seen a kid give as much as him on the floor! I selfishly hope he and Moses use that free year next season. Of all the kids, he just seems like the type that would want it.
If anyone hasn't watched it already, the postgame presser will only add to the fan love of Jose. Struck me as sincere in trying to take the blame for the outcome because of a couple turnovers (obviously ridiculous) and was effusive about no moral victories. Big performance, big heart, great leader.

(Bottom of this link)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My bigger concern is who is going to step into the Alvarado leader, lift up his teammates, role next year? We are gonna be hurting without his leadership.

It's not just Jose. Between losing him, Moses, and Usher the entire personality of the team is going to be different and it's impossible at this point to know how it will develop, and pointless to speculate (not that it being pointless will stop anybody myself included). As far as leadership goes, as long as Jose was here nobody was really going to be able to show the ability to fill that role and without knowing how the overall team dynamic will be it's impossible to say what being a leader will look like for next years team Jose is a great leader but his style isn't the only one. It probably certainly helps with guys like Moses and Jordan, but likely speeds Devoe more up than is good at times.

Maybe with Jose gone, Devoe sets the tone for the team and we see a more methodical team rather than high energy one that better suits him. Or maybe we see Sturdivant take control and pace the team. Or hell, maybe Coleman comes in and establishes his own mark and we have a dynamic we can't even predict yet.

.We lose a BUNCH of talent in Srs.Fr don't do well in this league.Unless we get guys to stay or transfers, big trouble ahead.

We lose a bunch of experience, but we're probably increasing in raw talent. And while we will have youth, we'll also likely start 2 seniors and a junior at minimum so we'll still have an uperclassman core to work around.

And while some freshmen struggle to adapt, there are plenty that step in right away and do fine. Hell, Jose and Mike both had solid freshman campaigns for us. Team success was lacking but that was more issues with the team around them than their own play.

The question for next year is how quickly guys like Howard, Saba, Coleman, etc develop and how quickly the team gels. It might be that by ACC play the team has worked through the early season issues and we're still a good team. Or it could just be a complete transition year as the young guys who will make up the next core group get experience. No way of knowing right now.

Deleted member 2897

If anyone hasn't watched it already, the postgame presser will only add to the fan love of Jose. Struck me as sincere in trying to take the blame for the outcome because of a couple turnovers (obviously ridiculous) and was effusive about no moral victories. Big performance, big heart, great leader.

(Bottom of this link)

if I got drafted and sent to battle terrorists in the middle east, I would have two questions:
1) Dude I’m almost 50 years old, is this for real?
2) Can Jose Alvarado be in my foxhole?

The dude is an absolute legend and a warrior.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Maybe with Jose gone, Devoe sets the tone for the team and we see a more methodical team rather than high energy one that better suits him. Or maybe we see Sturdivant take control and pace the team. Or hell, maybe Coleman comes in and establishes his own mark and we have a dynamic we can't even predict yet.

We lose a bunch of experience, but we're probably increasing in raw talent. And while we will have youth, we'll also likely start 2 seniors and a junior at minimum so we'll still have an uperclassman core to work around.

And while some freshmen struggle to adapt, there are plenty that step in right away and do fine. Hell, Jose and Mike both had solid freshman campaigns for us. Team success was lacking but that was more issues with the team around them than their own play.

The question for next year is how quickly guys like Howard, Saba, Coleman, etc develop and how quickly the team gels. It might be that by ACC play the team has worked through the early season issues and we're still a good team. Or it could just be a complete transition year as the young guys who will make up the next core group get experience. No way of knowing right now.
personally, it seems they might be the worst team in the ACC next year. Front court is scary bad.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Rewatched some of the game. Too many drives to the baskets where we got fouled but it wasn't called. Tie game with 1:30 left. @ Duke. We were there with a chance. Just like against Virginia. Just a few too many mistakes.

Here's who played last night for Duke.
DJ Steward: 5-star
Matthew Hurt: 5-star
Jalen Johnson: 5-star
Jeremy Roach: 5-star
Mark Williams: 5-star
Wendell Moore: 1st 4-star (0.9898 on 247)
Joey Baker: 4-star (0.9887 - top 50)
Jaemyn Brakefield: 4-star (0.9846 - top 50)
Henry Coleman: 4-star (0.9808 - top 50)

5 5-stars and 9 top 50 guys.
Jordan Goldwire, local guy from Norcross High, also played 35 minutes. He was a low 3 star that was recruited as a practice player and made the most of it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Goldwire, local guy from Norcross High, also played 35 minutes. He was a low 3 star that was recruited as a practice player and made the most of it.
Goldwire is known for his defense and while not a great shooter he has improved that part of his game. He has taken advantage of his opportunity this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Goldwire is known for his defense and while not a great shooter he has improved that part of his game. He has taken advantage of his opportunity this year.
When Goldwire committed to Duke I thought he would never see the court. Congrats to him for making the most of his opportunity. That Duke diploma will serve him well.

Deleted member 2897

When Goldwire committed to Duke I thought he would never see the court. Congrats to him for making the most of his opportunity. That Duke diploma will serve him well.

The 1 and done model has actually served him well. Being a senior, he's playing in a 9-man rotation with 6 freshmen and 2 sophomores.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The 1 and done model has actually served him well. Being a senior, he's playing in a 9-man rotation with 6 freshmen and 2 sophomores.
He has gotten quite a bit of PT in prior seasons for his defense plus a lot of blow out games. He must have shown some defensive talent in practices.

Deleted member 2897

As they say in baseball, Tech is a tough out. Feel like they are in every game and scrap to the end. Any team taking them lightly will lose.

Coach K said that - he looked exhausted in the post game interview. Said they've never had a single covid case on the team, but its been a tough go. I wonder if they haven't been practicing as hard as they could and suffered for it like we did.