From a recruiting standpoint (from 247), this is how GT and Pitt matchup:

GT PITT
2014 54 44
2015 44 46
2016 60 30
2017 48 37
2018 54 46
AVG 52 40.6

Similar to the game against USF, GT and Pitt have recruited relatively similar the last 5 recruiting cycles. This time, Pitt has recruited a band better than GT. GT can NOT afford to lose 2 out of the 3 phases of football and expect to win. Especially on the road. You can say Pitt isn't that good because they got DRILLED by Penn State, but Penn State is recruiting in the top 15-20, with a top 10 class. That's a tier away from recruiting at elite levels (top 10). What I'll say is GT isn't good enough to think we can make mistakes and still win the game.
Well, one thing that has been evident in the prior 3 years is GT has more speed than Pitt. I hope TaQuon and Cottrell find a crease on Saturday. We can win the foot race.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
In other news from regions that will be affected by Florence

NCSU cancels game with WVU
UNC cancels game with UCF (Karma is a *****)

Duke, UNC, NCSU and ECU are all closed as of Wed / Thurs

Larry Fedora was last seen screaming at the mirror - why didn't the damn hurricane come last weekend? :banghead::beercheers::beercheers:
At least NCSU and UNC will have one less loss on their record for 2018;):LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious: NCSU will be 8-3 instead of 8-4 and UNC will be 1-10 instead of 1-11;)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Updated S&P rankings now also have GT favored in 8/10 remaining games. Clemson and UGA only two games we aren't the projected favorites.

Game by game:

Pitt-80%
Clemson-33%
BGSU-98%
Louisville-77%
Duke-59% (note: their QB and best corner are both out for the season as of today)
VT-54%
UNC-89%
Miami-60%
UVA-81%
UGA-11%

So hope you're right. The npull an upset against UGaly

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
51-6 score by PSU is not a good indication of Pitt being that bad. We will have to play better than we did against USF to beat them. They fix their problems and we don't fix ours it could be a loss. Can't let that score put into minds of our guys that it will be a push over. It won't be.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Simple....
  • if we continue to have 3 turnovers per game we'll finish 3-9....we won't beat hardly anybody playing the way we have been playing
  • the defense definitely needs to get better to have a chance in the various toss-up games. Doesn't have to be top 30, but gotta get better
  • special teams MUST at least become neutral for us
We tend to overthink stuff....it probably isn't a whole lot more complex than the above

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did a look at pitt dl and MLB and found

Average size (280) interior line

DE pretty big - 6 4" 255

MLB- not experienced - special teams to back up MLB to redshirt last year.

IMO to stop the tackle to tackle lanes they will need way less lb cheating to middle than USF.
We will need to break out the offensive ol play book. WR block down, student body around the end won't get it.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Simple....
  • if we continue to have 3 turnovers per game we'll finish 3-9....we won't beat hardly anybody playing the way we have been playing
  • the defense definitely needs to get better to have a chance in the various toss-up games. Doesn't have to be top 30, but gotta get better
  • special teams MUST at least become neutral for us
We tend to overthink stuff....it probably isn't a whole lot more complex than the above
I mean, yeah, safe to say that if we end up with a -20 TO margin and the defense sucks we're going to have a pretty bad season. That's true for everybody.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Kinda wish Pitt had an emotional victory last weekend over a rival. That said, I’m sure they are pretty angry and humiliated. Would expect a heartfelt effort from them at home in front of a crowd that hasn’t given up hope yet. No ACC road game is a guarantee. Doesn’t matter if you’re at Syracuse or at Clemson.

This game is a toss up for me. Pitt really hasn’t had any success stopping our offense but really can’t give away any more games because of special teams.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
From what I've seen on their board they feel about like we do for this one. We need to win the TO battle and the defense can't give up 30+ again. Win the TO battle, or have it at 0-0 and I think we win by 10+

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I've seen on their board they feel about like we do for this one. We need to win the TO battle and the defense can't give up 30+ again. Win the TO battle, or have it at 0-0 and I think we win by 10+
Only difference is they scored 6 points last week and we scored 38. They have issues on both sides of the ball, ours lean heavily to one.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Only difference is they scored 6 points last week and we scored 38. They have issues on both sides of the ball, ours lean heavily to one.

Yeah, but I doubt we score more than 17 against Penn state... we aren't on that level. Plus they played a "rival" we played usf a nonpower5 team. Just saying its apples to broccoli.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but I doubt we score more than 17 against Penn state... we aren't on that level. Plus they played a "rival" we played usf a nonpower5 team. Just saying its apples to broccoli.
You do understand that Appalachian state scored 38 on Penn State 2 weeks ago. I would like to think we are on the level or higher than App state on offense. Now if we were to say we may have a hard time keeping Penn State under 30 I could understand.