Georgia Postgame

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw it but I also saw Tre throwing punches, it was a fight so I’m ok with the way it was handled. The replay could have resulted in Tre getting tossed also
Tre never threw a punch. He never swung at him with a closed fist (what the rule book clearly defines as a punch).
I have watched the sequence over and over again cause I was arguing it with someone I was watching the game with. First off, #1 should have been also flagged during the play for holding as he grabbed Tre and swung him around trying to tackle him to the ground. As he is doing that Tre tries to push him off but the dude keeps holding on to Tre even after they stand up. Tre starts swinging and pushing at him to knock his arm off of him. Then #1 grabs Tre's facemask and starts punching him and finally slams Tre's head into a wall by his facemask (albeit a padded wall but still).
I agree with Tre getting the unsportsmanlike penalty since he was fighting back (which I am glad he did) but the #1 is the only one that threw punches so is the only one that should have been ejected. I also think #1 should get additional suspension for slamming Tre's head into a wall, I mean if they say they are actually concerned about player safety and all.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Tre never threw a punch. He never swung at him with a closed fist (what the rule book clearly defines as a punch).
I have watched the sequence over and over again cause I was arguing it with someone I was watching the game with. First off, #1 should have been also flagged during the play for holding as he grabbed Tre and swung him around trying to tackle him to the ground. As he is doing that Tre tries to push him off but the dude keeps holding on to Tre even after they stand up. Tre starts swinging and pushing at him to knock his arm off of him. Then #1 grabs Tre's facemask and starts punching him and finally slams Tre's head into a wall by his facemask (albeit a padded wall but still).
I agree with Tre getting the unsportsmanlike penalty since he was fighting back (which I am glad he did) but the #1 is the only one that threw punches so is the only one that should have been ejected. I also think #1 should get additional suspension for slamming Tre's head into a wall, I mean if they say they are actually concerned about player safety and all.

The refs are not going to protect any player going up against the top 5-10 schools. I saw it as a mutual shoving mask until the FM was grabbed by Pickens. The refs aren’t going to be the ones responsible for impacting the multi billion dollar football playoffs and you might do that if you start throwing personal fouls penalties on their star players

Pickens is the same one who pulled the Texas AM player off balance by his FM, during the play, in order to run by him and catch a TD last week, they didn’t even throw a flag. I think that was the only TD scored in that game. In hindsight had that been called the TD would have been overturned. A&M might have won that game. That would have screwed the SEC out of having 2 playoff teams.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
Eggsackley. I don't know why people think that because someone played football at a high level that they can coach it at a high level. We recently chased off a HoF coach who never played college football. There is no one-on-one correlation. It takes awhile for former players to become good coaches and most of our assistants haven't had it yet. Unfortunately, those who have had the time also had such overwhelming talent to draw from that the necessary experience is evidently lacking.

Now, we'll just have to hope that a year on the Flats will bring something like a serious approach to the game on the sidelines next year.

We didn’t chase off CPJ - He RETIRED!!!!

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Screw y'all, I'm gonna accentuate the positive.

- We outcoached them in the 1st half, badly. The depth of their talent got us along with us missing out on the opportunities we created.
- Swift got absolutely separated from the ball on that fumble. What a hit. And speaking of hits ...
- #14 schmashed the uGA guy on that onside kick. He probably asked if anybody got the license plate on the truck that hit him.

All in all, as our overall talent increases, we'll scale this mountain. Nothing they're doing schematically scares me at all. We don't even have to get that close to catch them.

And a bonus one, congrats to the uGA WR for showing his true colors and getting suspended for next week. You showed us. :rolleyes:

Heh, dumbarse.
First play of the game for ugag, Quez was "coached" and in perfect position to set tone of game with an easy pick six...just couldn't make the play. Guys were coached up and initially played well against superior talent.

If we want to compete with the factories consistently we have to change the academic requirements. We've proved that for 60 years! We can continue to blame coaches but we've never been consistently competitive. We've had plenty of coaches some better than others but never been consistently competitive with the factories and we won't be unless we change academically.
And we know that will never happen.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Some seem to be lamenting the "historic" loss yesterday, and it definitely did suck, but it's not that far off from the game last year in a lot of ways. First half was miles better in fact. At least defensively.

2018 score at half: 38-7
2019 score at half: 17-7

2018 rushing yards: 128
2019 rushing yards: 99

2018 passing yards: 91
2019 passing yards: 40

2018 first downs: 12
2019 first downs: 7

2018 3rd down efficiency: 3/13
2019 3rd down efficiency: 3/17

The score margin is bad but if we don't fumble a punt in the end zone the mutts likely only score 45. The same amount they scored last year.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
In 2014, Georgia Southern transitioned from the option to another offense in the process of moving from FCS to FBS the year after going 7-4. They went 9-3, undefeated in their conference, and almost beat our 2014 team with a team that literally featured only FCS players.
Ahhh... in the Sunbelt (or Southern) conference, no less...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't think this is necessarily a GT-specific issue as I see many cfb teams do this. I think it will go away with our incoming QB's who'll be more versed in more complete offenses.

Well, that's my hope anyway. It's a maddening thing. Switching the snap count, cadence, etc seems to be a weapon we don't use. Seems clear it allows the defense to get a rhythm and dictate things to us.
Same thing applies even to Chip Kelly at UCLA. It's not run with near the same speed as Oregon because they just aren't good enough to.

Well, just got back from a week in Atlanta. Time with my kids with their Uncle. My son just left to go back to school, college. Did some deer hunting and enjoyed........all but the game. The tailgating was great. Comments on the game.....about what I expected. Honestly either Georgia came out flat or they really have some issues on offense. I see LSU hanging at least 45 on them. As for us...Well Harvin had to spend some time in the cold tub as that leg of his had to be tired. No passing game, no running game. All the hand offs were right up the middle aimed at their D-line. Beyond all this....well we shall see for next year.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The refs are not going to protect any player going up against the top 5-10 schools. I saw it as a mutual shoving mask until the FM was grabbed by Pickens. The refs aren’t going to be the ones responsible for impacting the multi billion dollar football playoffs and you might do that if you start throwing personal fouls penalties on their star players

Pickens is the same one who pulled the Texas AM player off balance by his FM, during the play, in order to run by him and catch a TD last week, they didn’t even throw a flag. I think that was the only TD scored in that game. In hindsight had that been called the TD would have been overturned. A&M might have won that game. That would have screwed the SEC out of having 2 playoff teams.
Pickens was also suspended for the first half of the game Saturday for violation of team rules.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Some seem to be lamenting the "historic" loss yesterday, and it definitely did suck, but it's not that far off from the game last year in a lot of ways. First half was miles better in fact. At least defensively.

2018 score at half: 38-7
2019 score at half: 17-7

2018 rushing yards: 128
2019 rushing yards: 99

2018 passing yards: 91
2019 passing yards: 40

2018 first downs: 12
2019 first downs: 7

2018 3rd down efficiency: 3/13
2019 3rd down efficiency: 3/17

The score margin is bad but if we don't fumble a punt in the end zone the mutts likely only score 45. The same amount they scored last year.
It was historic because it was UGAs largest margin of victory ever over us. It was also the most punts we have ever had in a game against anyone. Those are historic facts that can’t really be disputed. If you are going to argue raw offensive stats compared to last years game then you should also probably mention that we had 5 less possessions to get 5 more first downs, 14 more points, and more yards.

I agree though. 2018 was an awful game and we need to do better. Unfortunately in 2019 we did far far worse. Here’s hoping we have reached the bottom of the barrel.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a terrible argument. That same "back up" torched Oklahoma in the bowl game...

Yup, having 7-8 games under your belt and several weeks of prep as the starter for a bowl game is exactly the same as coming off the bench cold behind a generational qb who took all the first team reps. You’re right. What was I thinking?

I forgot how good our defenses were under PJ or that Watson had marched the ball down the field on 2 consecutive drives and was in our redzone when he got hurt. Half of Clemson’s first downs came with Watson in the game. He went out 2/3 of the way through the first quarter. Yup very strong comparison...

Speaking of terrible arguments. How can one act like facing a cold backup instead of a future first round pick qb who took Clemson to a Natty is even remotely similar? And if you don’t think it’s similar, how can one then say that we didn’t get lucky not having to face said elite qb for 3 more quarters?

Edit to add anytime you score 2 defensive TDs in a game with how our defense has played the last 12 years, I would consider it pretty lucky. Heck we heard how lucky we were this year to beat Miami by scoring a TD on D and ST.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yup, having 7-8 games under your belt and several weeks of prep as the starter for a bowl game is exactly the same as coming off the bench cold behind a generational qb who took all the first team reps. You’re right. What was I thinking?

I forgot how good our defenses were under PJ or that Watson had marched the ball down the field on 2 consecutive drives and was in our redzone when he got hurt. Half of Clemson’s first downs came with Watson in the game. He went out 2/3 of the way through the first quarter. Yup very strong comparison...

Speaking of terrible arguments. How can one act like facing a cold backup instead of a future first round pick qb who took Clemson to a Natty is even remotely similar? And if you don’t think it’s similar, how can one then say that we didn’t get lucky not having to face said elite qb for 3 more quarters?

Edit to add anytime you score 2 defensive TDs in a game with how our defense has played the last 12 years, I would consider it pretty lucky. Heck we heard how lucky we were this year to beat Miami by scoring a TD on D and ST.

7-8 games? Watson started the next game against USC east and then 3-4 weeks later Stoudt started in the bowl game. Also, the "cold back up" is a bad argument as well. If a coaching staff hangs all its hats on the starting QB they have failed. The best coaches have the backups ready to play any time, just like Saban had a cold QB play in, and win, the national title game. We held Clemson to less than 200 yards and obliterated their passing game. Our defense held one of Watson's redzone forays and forced the FG. We won that game, and we did it with better play, better coaching, and better preparation. I'm tired of our fans ****** all over our wins against big schools as if the only way we could have won is by fluke.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably the most helpless, embarrasing Tech football team ( on this day) I've ever seen. 12 three and outs, 13 punts, slightly over 100 yds offense. If Graham is named our starting QB next season Tech might as well run up the white flag, we're done for!