Geoff Collins Press Conference Post Miami

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All we want is a better coach. Collins has 5 working days to become that guy. We are pulling for him. And it’s not all about money. There are high school coaches in every town in this state who don’t make 5 million a year yet can teach DB‘s how to turn and run. Coaches salaries have very little to do with actual coaching. The money is about keeping them there.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It’s like Crash told nuke in Bull Durham. You can have gimmicks when you’re winning. When you stink, you just look stupid. Well CGC congrats.

I think you're referencing this….

“Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob.”

“You’ve got a Waffle House cup at your press conference. Win more than 3 games in a year and people will think it’s cute. Otherwise, people think you’re in over your head and a used car salesman…”. 😂😂

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you're referencing this….

“Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob.”

“You’ve got a Waffle House cup at your press conference. Win more than 3 games in a year and people will think it’s cute. Otherwise, people think you’re in over your head and a used car salesman…”. 😂😂
Thank you for your service

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I would hope it wouldn’t cost 16 million to bring in a DC that didn’t have 3 busted coverages for big gainers every game.
There are good coaches that would jump at the chance to be a coordinator at GT. Their TD over 13? Great play by them, man in position but the opponent made a play, it happens.

Their WR 20+ yards open multiple times because we blew a coverage? That ain’t Jimmie’s and joes.

Collins can keep it positive all he wants but can’t require it of outsiders or fans. There are things happening that have nothing to do with the transition or just being negative. Time to sack up and answer to it, even if it is “the buck stops with me”.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I mean this money argument is BS. Contracts exist to protect the employer and the employee. That said, these days in coaching it seems the contracts really only protect the coach. Some school somewhere needs to shift this back to what the free mark demands…which is success.

I’d rather have a no name high school coach for three years that may or may not produce than someone like Collins that flat out falls on his face for three years earning guaranteed money.

It’s nonsense. Flip the script. There are plenty of “people” (key word there, maybe not existing ncaa head coaches) that will do this job for less money and win more than three games with what we’ve got.

Animal02

Banned
I think the “idiots” and “bad fans” would be the people defending a coach who has a career losing record and refuses to take any criticism all while driving our program and it’s reputation into the ground.
What is funny is the hypocrisy of all the GC fan boys that whined so much during the 2015 season. .Now, similar issues are proposed as excuses.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Just watched. Not a good look for CGC or the program to whine about hard questions. That weren’t even hard. Dude coached in Philly for two years, a city where fans literally pelted Santa with frozen batteries and he called two questions about trends in losses and how to keep the team/staff/program from being frustrated with the inability to close overly negative?

Mixed Martial Arts Mma GIF by BRAVE Combat Federation
yeah, but Temple football really doesn't move the media needle in Philly.
For a place like Philly, the Temple beat is something you give to the young guy on staff trying to cut his teeth at a major metro or to the old guy looking to ride something into the sunset of retirement.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Collins didn't like questions about why the team lost. He wanted them to instead ask questions about the "huge" 4th down stops.
For those who didn't listen, Collins actually answered every question Kelly and Ken asked. During the response to one of the questions he said something about some of the positive things and commented once or twice "but nobody wants to hear that." But he answered every question asked. And hey, I'm not at all happy with the way things are going and I'm about done with our coordinators, but this press conference is about the last thing about our program right now that bothers me. If Kelly thinks what Collins said in his press conference was "getting tabbed" then he needs to develop thicker skin then the surface tension on the top of glass of water. And BTW, I thought Kelly's and Ken's questions were completely fair and asked respectfully. I just also didn't think Collins gave either of them any real grief and didn't shy away from the questions. He actually addressed them more than I thought he would but did take some time to point out where we did a few good things.

John1993

Georgia Tech Fan
Start winning and all that negativity will disappear. That's all it takes.
It's time for Todd Stansbury to have a serious heart to heart with Coach Collins and his staff. We should have been celebrating a win today, but these Coaches can't seem to get the job done. Particularly annoyed with Patenaude's vanilla-type offensive play calling. He should have brought in Jordan Yates, even if he's nicked up. He gave us a better chance to win. When will we turn the corner?

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You people are idiots. Our starting OL has maybe 2 guys that could start for an average P5 team, and then we had 3 of the best 5 OL out with injuries by the end of the game. Collins is doing the best he can with one of the lowest assistant coaching budgets in P5. You people are so stupid you don't realize that a head football coach these days is a CEO of a business, and ours is trying to be competitive with employees hired on the cheap. That press conference showed a coach who is frustrated and depressed but trying to stay positive---and you "fans" are critical.
His responsibility is to build a better roster. If we had talented youngsters to step in to cover the injuries, that would be one thing. But he hasn't brought those guys to campus.

He negotiated the assistant budget. If he didn't think he could succeed under that constraint, he shouldn't have taken the job.

He is the CEO. The business is failing and he's not giving legitimate answers to the shareholder's questions.

As with most problems, the first step in solving the problem is to realize there is a problem. His second biggest problem is that he's losing the fanbase by his absolute lack of taking responsibility. His biggest problem is that his football team isn't very well coached. I honestly think the talent is there to win more games, but I remember exactly one game in his tenure where I thought our staff outcoached the other staff. Our talent isn't good enough and probably never will be good enough to win consistently with 3rd tier coaching.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought the most telling thing was that he referenced his time at temple as if he had some formula for success after two years at temple. He went 15-10 at temple. While we would take that at this point it’s not like he was super successful is those amazing two years.

I want him to succeed because I want GT and our student athletes to succeed. But he needs ot just say I messed up and need to do better.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
For those who didn't listen, Collins actually answered every question Kelly and Ken asked. During the response to one of the questions he said something about some of the positive things and commented once or twice "but nobody wants to hear that." But he answered every question asked. And hey, I'm not at all happy with the way things are going and I'm about done with our coordinators, but this press conference is about the last thing about our program right now that bothers me. If Kelly thinks what Collins said in his press conference was "getting tabbed" then he needs to develop thicker skin then the surface tension on the top of glass of water. And BTW, I thought Kelly's and Ken's questions were completely fair and asked respectfully. I just also didn't think Collins gave either of them any real grief and didn't shy away from the questions. He actually addressed them more than I thought he would but did take some time to point out where we did a few good things.
It gets more clicks if things appear controversial. There was nothing wrong with the questions or the response IMO.