Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It's his third year as a head coach, so your numbers are meaningless and Paul Johnson was 2-10 his first year at Navy which also proved nothing. So just stop with this.

Paul’s first three years as a head coach he won 36 games and three conference championships - and a natty. With a mix of holdovers and his own players
I talked to him the day after he took the Navy job. Told him I thought he could go .500
He told me “you’re (bleepin) crazy” and that they’d be lucky to win anything that first year

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I would not have nearly the problem with Collins had he been given a normal contract based on his HC experience and accomplishments, not come into town with his passive aggressive down talk of the previous regime, actually accomplished something before piling high the BS hype, not lied about simple things, not acted like everything every other coach in the country does is some sort of special thing he invented or thought of.
lol

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Here is another coach’s record for comparison. My high school coach (I know, I know, not the same as college) had a record of 12-28 after his first 4 years. Over the next 35 years he had 1 losing season and finished up as the winningest coach in the state of Georgia (since surpassed by a couple of others). It’s a good thing he wasn’t fired early on like a lot of fans (like some of the “fans” on this site want). Will CHC do the same? Who knows, but we need to give him time to really get his systems in place. And by the way, this is from a CPJ fan.

Animal02

Banned
Paul’s first three years as a head coach he won 36 games and three conference championships - and a natty. With a mix of holdovers and his own players
I talked to him the day after he took the Navy job. Told him I thought he could go .500
He told me “you’re (bleepin) crazy” and that they’d be lucky to win anything that first year
It is always comical that the Collins fan club has to resort to attacking CPJ to prop up Collins. Like citing his first year record at Navy......and omitting what Navy was like before his arrival.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Oh look a troll post and look who decides join to in
It is always comical that the Collins fan club has to resort to attacking CPJ to prop up Collins. Like citing his first year record at Navy......and omitting what Navy was like before his arrival.

You don’t even abide by your own words. As soon as someone brings up the last 4 yrs (a recruiting cycle) you do the exact same thing omitting what was going on before his arrival.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You don’t even abide by your own words. As soon as someone brings up the last 4 yrs (a recruiting cycle) you do the exact same thing omitting what was going on before his arrival.
That’s the kind of stuff that rubs me raw. It’s clear who had coach/scheme agendas harmful of GT’s football program before/after. I sat around them for a decade, now the other side’s giving it back albeit in much smaller numbers. Can’t we just root for GT football to be successful?

When the coaching staff makes dumb decisions, when their results are sub par they own it. Each staff owns their own record & dragging it down unnecessarily is ridiculous. Irrationally puffing it up in the face of blatantly contrary evidence is equally ridiculous. It is what it is & you everybody doesn’t know it so ignoring it like it doesn’t exist is juvenile & so is trying to defend it at all coat or rewriting the history book replete with asterisks so you can put you own spin on it.

Here is another coach’s record for comparison. My high school coach (I know, I know, not the same as college) had a record of 12-28 after his first 4 years. Over the next 35 years he had 1 losing season and finished up as the winningest coach in the state of Georgia (since surpassed by a couple of others). It’s a good thing he wasn’t fired early on like a lot of fans (like some of the “fans” on this site want). Will CHC do the same? Who knows, but we need to give him time to really get his systems in place. And by the way, this is from a CPJ fan.

I hear you but my coach was on year 6 of turning the corner winning just 3 games in that time span. 2 more years of winning 2 games total and it was finally clear to whoever was deciding that his coaching was lacking and he was canned into obscurity.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Bill Chappel?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Coach Pitts ?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Give it time but that is a very real possibility. We just don' t know if his all in on changing the culture and recruiting will pay dividends or if it will prove to be smoke and mirrors burning away like fog on a south Georgia morning. Even if the recruiting is tremendously improved there is still the question of player development and on field coaching. We will see but I do not think it is fair to judge him by this year or even next year. Poor Willie T didn't even get that long. "Poor"? Heavens, the man is making out like a bandit with a multi million dollar buyout.

This. If by the end of year 3, (2021), we do not see significant improvement from where we are now, I think his seat will start to get very warm. It's unreasonable to expect anything out of this season and very little out of next year.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Consider all the struggles the team has had this year and then look at how we competed with the other ACC teams. We have the most room for improvement and in my mind be making the largest strides year over year. Recruiting has ticked up; the pieces sitting on the sideline because they didn't get waivers will be available next year; this isn't a sprint its a marathon. I expect the inconsistency right now however next season I would expect it to dramatically decrease. OC still doesn't excite me but I'll give him some time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I see no problem with posting data. It's meant to be interpreted and ideally discussed, and this should be no different.

With this data set, I'd offer that context is missing as is often the case with purely looking at W-L records. As an example, CPJ and CCG had virtually the same record vs. FBS teams (neither lost to FCS), yet it seems on this board most preferred the CPJ years. For this season, many folks have solidified their opinion on what's within the coaches' control vs. what is not, and the merits of why coaches are making certain decisions, so I suspect that's partly why some folks are frustrated. Either way, I enjoy data posts, and folks should rebut the content if they disagree.

So to add, I posted a thread Geoff Collins as a HC - Full Season Data from his time at Temple. The data and discussion went beneath the covers of pure W-L and the make-up of what went into those numbers. One positive is that FEI highlighted a big jump in offensive efficiency from year 1 to year 2. I expect us to improve next year on this front as well, though to what degree is TBD on a few variables. The thread also got into the Temple roster, including the fact that Temple lost it's starting QB among others in the offseason prior to Collins' first year.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Given he coached at Temple and is essentially building a GT program from ashes, I'm not necessarily concerned about his overall numbers. Small sample size and no context provided by OP on where he was coaching and conditions of the programs. He haant really been a HC anywhere long enough to truly understand what a CGC program looks like after 4 to 5 years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Oh look a troll post and look who decides join to in

Why the swarm is turning into mega 1 sentence posting land.

The safest place to avoid this is at player walk up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I see no problem with posting data. It's meant to be interpreted and ideally discussed, and this should be no different.

With this data set, I'd offer that context is missing as is often the case with purely looking at W-L records. As an example, CPJ and CCG had virtually the same record vs. FBS teams (neither lost to FCS), yet it seems on this board most preferred the CPJ years. For this season, many folks have solidified their opinion on what's within the coaches' control vs. what is not, and the merits of why coaches are making certain decisions, so I suspect that's partly why some folks are frustrated. Either way, I enjoy data posts, and folks should rebut the content if they disagree.

So to add, I posted a thread Geoff Collins as a HC - Full Season Data from his time at Temple. The data and discussion went beneath the covers of pure W-L and the make-up of what went into those numbers. One positive is that FEI highlighted a big jump in offensive efficiency from year 1 to year 2. I expect us to improve next year on this front as well, though to what degree is TBD on a few variables. The thread also got into the Temple roster, including the fact that Temple lost it's starting QB among others in the offseason prior to Collins' first year.

I would also expect that our O would make huge strides next year, but it would be difficult NOT to. We are currently 100/130 in OFEI. 122 in possession efficiency, 116 in TD rate, 126 in first down rate, 124 in available yards gained, 91 in explosive downs, 121 in busted drives, and 113 in turnover rate. Oddly, we are ranked 2nd in SoS according to the defenses we have played, so there's that. IMO, as we continue to acquire the pieces for this new offense, it will begin to produce better results. The silver lining, if you like that sort of thing, is that even with all the growing pains of this year, we are still better offensively that 8 P5 schools. (WVU, Vandy, Cal, Arkansas, Vandy, Pitt, Syracuse, & NCSU)

upload_2019-11-7_9-38-34.png

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What Coach is out there that you guys think could do better and that’s willing to come here? Don’t name a single one of the CPJ prodigies either because our record after 2015 shows the spread option was no longer the answer, and I guarantee not a single one of them wants to follow Paul’s footsteps. Tech post CPJ was not a popular job no matter how you spin it. We sold our soul to succeed based off one scheme and we are now left with not only one of the most unbalanced rosters but one of the worst scheme fit rosters in CFB. We are going to suck, it’s going to suck, but I promise you continuing to bash Collins isn’t going to make it feel better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What Coach is out there that you guys think could do better and that’s willing to come here? Don’t name a single one of the CPJ prodigies either because our record after 2015 shows the spread option was no longer the answer, and I guarantee not a single one of them wants to follow Paul’s footsteps. Tech post CPJ was not a popular job no matter how you spin it. We sold our soul to succeed based off one scheme and we are now left with not only one of the most unbalanced rosters but one of the worst scheme fit rosters in CFB. We are going to suck, it’s going to suck, but I promise you continuing to bash Collins isn’t going to make it feel better.
I don't think we sold our soul, I think that is for teams that do things illegal which I don't think we did. Our AD wanted a change we will see how it works out. I hope it does but still concerned about our offense and P'nut would love to find someone who would run the offense maybe a young guy like our defensive coordinator .

Maybe we have someone on the staff who could be a good offensive coordinator and hire a QB coach.

Last edited:

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Players or coaches.

There are two decidedly different groups on this board as to why the team has had such a rough season. (And of course those that blame everything on CPJ)

I fall more into the "coaches" group. For two reasons. First, I drank the kool aide and believed CGC was going to outperform this year. I was ready for him to get ACC coach of the year. Second, I am still baffled by the offense.

I have one foot in the players group because of the injuries on the OL. I concede scheming around a makeshift OL is difficult but not impossible

The athletes on tech's roster are not "ashes" as on poster put it. There is talent on the field.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you referring to Robert Davis?
https://ghsfha.org/w/Robert_Davis