General News about Key and his Staff

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Is GT set to hire more analysts?
lord of the rings GIF by Maudit

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
intercession
Not wild about that. I think our DBs were much more cohesive in working together in 2022. I think a lot of that was because we had one person coaching all of the defensive backs.
Agreed, seems to be a little too much tinkering by Key. If it ain't broke....

PepperRodgers

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay so we have Weinke, Long, and I believe Tillman under 2 year contracts. Everyone else is up for renegotiation. We need a RB and OL coach.

Move Long to TE coach or let him leave. Go get the best OC we can find and let him hire/fire whomever he wants, even Long if he doesn’t like him.

Defense had a good year but I’m willing to go another direction there too with the exception of Tillman.
Keeping Wienke is a key part of the success in 2022, and will be a key part in 2023. I belive Brent listens closely to Brent on the QB/Offensive side of the ball, and Chris is the master of "play action pass."

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Not wild about that. I think our DBs were much more cohesive in working together in 2022. I think a lot of that was because we had one person coaching all of the defensive backs.
I think Kelly Q put it out there that our coverage busts in 2021 were due to having separate corner and safeties coach and the entire fan base just ran with it. Now that may be true, but most places have multiple secondary coaches and are somehow able to figure out the communication between corners and safeties.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Georgia Tech Coaching Staff​

• Head coach- Brent Key
  • Quarterbacks coach/co-offensive coordinator- Chris Weinke
  • Offensive coordinator/tight ends coach- Buster Faulkner
  • Running backs coach, Running game coordinator- Norval McKenzie
  • Wide receivers coach- Josh Crawford
  • Offensive line coach-Geep Wade
  • Defensive coordinator- Andrew Thacker
  • Defensive line coach- Marco Coleman
  • Special Teams, Safeties coach- Jason Semore
  • Linebackers coach- Kevin Sherer
  • Defensive backs coach- Travares Tillman

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Interesting approach we are taking - seems we are picking up a lot of big name GA HS coaches in off the field positions - I'd think this is to build immediate inroads to local HS and their recruits more than for their analyst abilities, and they are probably cheaper than hiring existing college coaches. It's been often said that hs coaches have a lot of sway and direct their players towards or away from certain schools, hopefully these new guys and KW have enough sway to start pushing more of those elite guys our way.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I might not have been paying attention...okay, I wasn't...but isn't this emphasis on creating HS connections with the schools around the state something that was not a very high priority under the past few coaches? Or did we always have guys on staff specifically tasked with spreading the love in the high school ranks?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
It is VERY CLEAR that Key is making a HIGH Priority for inside tracks on recruiting the nearby metro Atlanta suburbs by hiring highly successful and high caliber high school coaches with great reputations and relationships with coaches and families to bolster GT recruiting territory immediately. Such a important portion of building a successful program is laying the groundwork for solid foundation for getting highly talented recruits on campus to see and hear Key’s vision

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is VERY CLEAR that Key is making a HIGH Priority for inside tracks on recruiting the nearby metro Atlanta suburbs by hiring highly successful and high caliber high school coaches with great reputations and relationships with coaches and families to bolster GT recruiting territory immediately. Such a important portion of building a successful program is laying the groundwork for solid foundation for getting highly talented recruits on campus to see and hear Key’s vision
Thank you TFG for being so bad we are spending on people to build / grow relations in and near ATL.

We have to really recruit ATL hard then be ready to help them return via portal to gt.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I might not have been paying attention...okay, I wasn't...but isn't this emphasis on creating HS connections with the schools around the state something that was not a very high priority under the past few coaches? Or did we always have guys on staff specifically tasked with spreading the love in the high school ranks?
My understanding that cGC didn't have his staff go to each HS in the state. CPJ did have someone from the football staff go to all of the state high schools. (Not just one person doing it, in case there is any doubt 😉)