General News about Key and his Staff

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Real question: How quickly can we expect to see fruits of these moves by hiring high profile high school coaches? Are these hires already producing results with the highly rated 2024 recruits being on campus this weekend? Do we expect to flip or gain any more recruits for the 23 class?
2023 isn’t going to move much outside of transfers imo; 2024 could be great though. 12 of the top 50 players from GA in 2024 are from 7A schools in Gwinnett County. Kenyatta has Tech on their radars. Bill Stewart might be pushing them over the edge. And another 3 of the top 50 players (and 2 of the top 10, at that) are from Colquitt and Valdosta, where new WR coach Josh Crawford got his stripes. That’s genuine recruiting connections to 15 of the top 50 and that’s only at my first glance from knowledge of Gwinnett and Josh Crawford. I’m not even factoring in Tim McFarlin (I know nothing about him or smaller classifications), and he was given the director title for HS outreach.

All in all, the 2024 class could be a monster, especially if some of the 4 or 5 starts who are high on our coaches see us win a bowl game when they’re making their final, official decision. I’m also excited for what it means for the potential transfers between then and now, since their old coaches are now on our staff. Younger players might not be coached by these guys, but current college athletes have been.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I believe having a new S&C is going to be a bigger deal than people are giving credit.

Our guys looked like Tarzan and played like something less at a lot of positions because they weren’t focused on the functional strength and mobility a sport like football demands from the body.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I believe having a new S&C is going to be a bigger deal than people are giving credit.

Our guys looked like Tarzan and played like something less at a lot of positions because they weren’t focused on the functional strength and mobility a sport like football demands from the body.
Curious to see what the new guys bring, but I thought Sisk did a better job than Caralla for exactly the reasons you state.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
2023 isn’t going to move much outside of transfers imo; 2024 could be great though. 12 of the top 50 players from GA in 2024 are from 7A schools in Gwinnett County. Kenyatta has Tech on their radars. Bill Stewart might be pushing them over the edge. And another 3 of the top 50 players (and 2 of the top 10, at that) are from Colquitt and Valdosta, where new WR coach Josh Crawford got his stripes. That’s genuine recruiting connections to 15 of the top 50 and that’s only at my first glance from knowledge of Gwinnett and Josh Crawford. I’m not even factoring in Tim McFarlin (I know nothing about him or smaller classifications), and he was given the director title for HS outreach.

All in all, the 2024 class could be a monster, especially if some of the 4 or 5 starts who are high on our coaches see us win a bowl game when they’re making their final, official decision. I’m also excited for what it means for the potential transfers between then and now, since their old coaches are now on our staff. Younger players might not be coached by these guys, but current college athletes have been.
Got to sell a vision of success and a chance to build something special at this point plus a chance to see the field early.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Curious to see what the new guys bring, but I thought Sisk did a better job than Caralla for exactly the reasons you state.
To be clear I am not trying to knock CLC - I suspect (strongly) that some of his marching orders were bound by HCGC to try to pump NFL Combine Lift Numbers. The problem I had with the approach of trying to hack those tests and "specialty train" for trying to get outsized results was multifold:

1) The practical use of the muscular structure doesn't work in isolation and the supporting muscular and joint strength that would normally accompany the strength being tested is missing
2) Can just add bulk without speed which isn't helpful the further off the line you play
3) Decreases flexibility and mobility which increases injury risk and decrease speed and body control

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Agree
Db and lb - Muscles in arms and shoulders seemed to be built quickly w special concentrated training. Nice for girls and when making tackle. Muscles look short verses long and lean like ala, baylor players .

The Curry transformation was amazing as he built legs and core ( per famiky at tailgate) and had hard time making weight during season.
Maybe it takes more hours in gym than i thought to finally be football elite condition. Are our plYers in the gym as often and as long as other programs.

Watching the pros = night and day - no wasted extra muscles.

By ND in 24 I hope for major change here as last we were way undersized.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
Per the AJC, Both Buster Faulkner and Geep Wade received two-year contracts, Faulkner is for 750K annually and Wade is for 350K annually. Compared to the previous coordinators, Chip Long made 825K and Key made 650K last year. I'm sure Chris Weinke is eating up some of that difference being Co-OC

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Per Benjamin London on Twitter: “I have been told that @Buster_Faulkner is been going around all of the Athens area. He visited @pacsfootball1 and @OCFearTheSpear this morning. Wouldn’t be shocked if he continues to recruit in the Northeast Georgia region.”
The dawg fans are fussing already I am sure.
However now Faulkner is repping GT. Here’s to hoping he’s a great recruiter and finds highly talented players who are in favor of being part of a class of recruits who have an opportunity to play early and be somewhere where excellence surrounds you. I really hope Faulkner is successful in bringing players alongside of him and developing their skill sets. Reel’em in Buster!

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
Per Benjamin London on Twitter: “I have been told that @Buster_Faulkner is been going around all of the Athens area. He visited @pacsfootball1 and @OCFearTheSpear this morning. Wouldn’t be shocked if he continues to recruit in the Northeast Georgia region.”
The dawg fans are fussing already I am sure.
However now Faulkner is repping GT. Here’s to hoping he’s a great recruiter and finds highly talented players who are in favor of being part of a class of recruits who have an opportunity to play early and be somewhere where excellence surrounds you. I really hope Faulkner is successful in bringing players alongside of him and developing their skill sets. Reel’em in Buster!
It's true, also going up to N. Fulton

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
To this point, I am actually pleasantly surprised by the coaching hires and portal gets (no game changers, but experienced P5 types). It does indeed appear that GT admin and AA are spending a bit more to actually have a non-laughable staff. It's good to see.

Whether we can coach well enough to be an ACC threat and occasional top 20 or, gulp, top 10, any time soon, remains to be seen. As I said month plus ago, Key was not my first or second choice, but whomever they hired I'd be behind them 100%. I will remain hopeful and Key gets MORE than just next year...unless they get shut out in two of the first four games or something really nasty. ;^)