Game winner: Jamal Haynes

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Two backers went to same gap on their left side of the LOS. They were side by side. Maybe that is their assigned responsibility, I don't know. Sounds pretty weird to me. I watched the replay to see for myself mainly because the color guy said "bad gap control" on the broadcast. "That's what they'll be working on in practice on Monday," he added.
I don’t think it was their assigned responsibility but I do think the prior play set that up for the one LB to play too far to the outside because he was thinking about either Zach running it or trying to blow up the bubble screen to the opposite side as the prior play. So I don’t think he just went the wrong way in a vacuum (not saying that’s what you’re saying, either so please don’t take it that way). I feel it was the two different reads Zach made on the same alignment and play call for the RPO that has that LB confused.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think it was their assigned responsibility but I do think the prior play set that up for the one LB to play too far to the outside because he was thinking about either Zach running it or trying to blow up the bubble screen to the opposite side as the prior play. So I don’t think he just went the wrong way in a vacuum (not saying that’s what you’re saying, either so please don’t take it that way). I feel it was the two different reads Zach made on the same alignment and play call for the RPO that has that LB confused.
I tend to believe the UNC guy who broke down the film in the video posted in this thread, It looked very clear the LB slid too wide on the play. There was an LB already in the gap he slid over to cover. Players have gap responsibilities. There are many times every game players don't fit their gaps properly. This play appeared to be one. No way to know why the LB didn't fill his gap. Just glad he didn't!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why are we still discussing this? It will go down in our history as one of our all time great winning plays, similar to Miracle in Miami. IIWIS, let it go.
I just want to say something about the sudden and dramatic way this game was decided, from overtime looming to The End in about 6 seconds flat. Haynes proving yet again that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Right straight up the gut untouched to The House. Ran past them like they were statues or something. Man, that was a blur.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I tend to believe the UNC guy who broke down the film in the video posted in this thread, It looked very clear the LB slid too wide on the play. There was an LB already in the gap he slid over to cover. Players have gap responsibilities. There are many times every game players don't fit their gaps properly. This play appeared to be one. No way to know why the LB didn't fill his gap. Just glad he didn't!
That was my point. I think he may not have filled his gap because he was expecting the play to go outside.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am shocked—nay bewildered—that a TFG linebacker ran to the wrong gap
So an opposing LB goes to the wrong gap and our O gets “dinged” for not blocking him? Not sure why we are still debating this. All you need to do is look at the hole at the POA and you will see how well-blocked that play was. Some folks just didn’t want us running in that situation, and will not accept what happened. Meh, IIWII.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
So an opposing LB goes to the wrong gap and our O gets “dinged” for not blocking him? Not sure why we are still debating this. All you need to do is look at the hole at the POA and you will see how well-blocked that play was. Some folks just didn’t want us running in that situation, and will not accept what happened. Meh, IIWII.
just one person.

slugboy

Staff member
I haven’t said anything negative about our blocking on that play.

It’s tough to put a hat on a guy that runs out of the play. Then again, why do you care?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The OLB had contain to keep Jamal from getting outside which he did. MLB saw the play going inside and moved over to make the play and was destroyed by Rutledge.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t said anything negative about our blocking on that play.

It’s tough to put a hat on a guy that runs out of the play. Then again, why do you care?
Not implying anything you said. I was agreeing, and asking your last question as well: why block a guy who took himself out of the play?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
O
just one person.
I’m not pointing fingers. No more Mr. Douche for me!
mis and mrs GIF by Miz & Mrs