Game winner: Jamal Haynes

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Apologies for being a “douche.” Please forgive.

The consistent drumbeat of these conversations is just getting very old. I cannot remember what each person has said. So If you acknowledged such then good. Anyway, I’ve moved on to ND.

I’m not a big shot either, BTW. In fact, I’m pretty much a broken down knucklehead who loves CFB and our Jackets.
I Love You Lyrics GIF by Blackground Records 2.0

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Apologies for being a “douche.” Please forgive.

The consistent drumbeat of these conversations is just getting very old. I cannot remember what each person has said. So If you acknowledged such then good. Anyway, I’ve moved on to ND.

I’m not a big shot either, BTW. In fact, I’m pretty much a broken down knucklehead who loves CFB and our Jackets.
All is good 👍

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
You don’t have to be a douche to make a point. I already said we blocked the play well at the line of scrimmage. However, we were aided by poor gap integrity by the linebackers. That’s all I said. I’m not taking anything away from Jamaal. He’s probably my favorite player on the whole team. I’m not laughing out loud at your comment. I’m just shaking my head at your need to put other posters down to make yourself feel like a big shot.
If we want to drop this, then fine, but I'm truly interested in understanding your thought process on this. I have watched the play in slo-mo, and I don't see anyone playing poor gap assignment. They were lined up in a 4-3 with the LBs staggered to the wide side of the field. The right side of our O-Line all blocked down, leaving their field side DE (#10) unblocked. The left side of our line both pulled, and the unblocked field side DE took on the block of our pulling LG. That was basically a stalemate, which generally is a win for the O-lineman. The mike backer (#17) took on the pulling left tackle with the win there going to Corey Robinson. The field side outside backer (#21) looked like he had contain responsibility, which he maintained, but Haynes busted inside of the pulling Robinson. All that is now left from the front 7 is the sideline side LB (#23). Jordan Williams scraped off his down-block and was in position to take him on. I will agree that #23 over ran the play a little, allowing Williams an easier block, and maybe that's what you mean by poor gap responsibility? I would call that more over-running the play. Perhaps po-tay-to, po-tah-to?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If we want to drop this, then fine, but I'm truly interested in understanding your thought process on this. I have watched the play in slo-mo, and I don't see anyone playing poor gap assignment. They were lined up in a 4-3 with the LBs staggered to the wide side of the field. The right side of our O-Line all blocked down, leaving their field side DE (#10) unblocked. The left side of our line both pulled, and the unblocked field side DE took on the block of our pulling LG. That was basically a stalemate, which generally is a win for the O-lineman. The mike backer (#17) took on the pulling left tackle with the win there going to Corey Robinson. The field side outside backer (#21) looked like he had contain responsibility, which he maintained, but Haynes busted inside of the pulling Robinson. All that is now left from the front 7 is the sideline side LB (#23). Jordan Williams scraped off his down-block and was in position to take him on. I will agree that #23 over ran the play a little, allowing Williams an easier block, and maybe that's what you mean by poor gap responsibility? I would call that more over-running the play. Perhaps po-tay-to, po-tah-to?

If you look closely the middle of the 3 LBs went too wide and was in the same gap (wide) as the outside LB. The defense was trying to force the RB wide into the outside LB who was unblocked. The inside LB slid left to nearly the same spot. Stop the tape at 2-3 3 seconds and watch the LBs. The middle guy needed to be very close to the DE.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If you look closely the middle of the 3 LBs went too wide and was in the same gap (wide) as the outside LB. The defense was trying to force the RB wide into the outside LB who was unblocked. The inside LB slid left to nearly the same spot. Stop the tape at 2-3 3 seconds and watch the LBs. The middle guy needed to be very close to the DE.
Here is a good analysis from a UNC insider
The Haynes TD to win the game

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Great find, it’s really quite easy to forget all the small details players have to remember to defend each play, First they have to diagnose play then quickly move to their assignment/gap, use correct technique to take on blocks then make tackle against D1 athletes in space. A tall order to say the least. Compound that with getting punished by a physical run game all afternoon, so now you’re tired and not as focused and banged up. Causing them to make some small errors and boom a 67 yard TD run. Think this is part we forget about Key’s body blows philosophy is that it not only wears a defense down physically, but mentally as well, so you have to be tough. Also, Loved Jamal’s patience and vision there, along with Robinson and Fusile recognizing the DE crashing to log him and adjust tracks to next lane then switching back as he recognizes backer has over pursued and he was off to the races. As they say it’s a game of inches.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Two backers went to same gap on their left side of the LOS. They were side by side. Maybe that is their assigned responsibility, I don't know. Sounds pretty weird to me. I watched the replay to see for myself mainly because the color guy said "bad gap control" on the broadcast. "That's what they'll be working on in practice on Monday," he added.

slugboy

Staff member
Two backers went to same gap on their left side of the LOS. They were side by side. Maybe that is their assigned responsibility, I don't know. Sounds pretty weird to me. I watched the replay to see for myself mainly because the color guy said "bad gap control" on the broadcast. "That's what they'll be working on in practice on Monday," he added.
I am shocked—nay bewildered—that a TFG linebacker ran to the wrong gap

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That seems to be the complete analysis of everything that happened on that play. As a long time Tech watcher I would add that the final ingredient was Haynes. Some backs are so intent on running to where the play is designed that they miss where the whole is actually opening up. Haynes show’s extremely good vision and is patient enough to let the blocking angles form before he makes that one deadly cut that exposes the weakness in the defense.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer

I agree with your analysis. Too many here are trying to give credit for the play to poor D play. I prefer to give credit to great OL play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Did not notice Rutledge's play.

Usually means they're doing a good job on the OL. Most of the time, if you hear a OL's name, it's for a penalty or giving up a big sack.

EDIT:

Looking at the replay, he moved the UNC DT out of the hole that Haynes ran through for the game winning TD. You can see him put his hands up for "TD" :

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Usually means they're doing a good job on the OL. Most of the time, if you hear a OL's name, it's for a penalty or giving up a big sack.

EDIT:

Looking at the replay, he moved the UNC DT out of the hole that Haynes ran through for the game winning TD. You can see him put his hands up for "TD" :

The only thing that hasn't been answered about that play ...

... which one of you is the bro that was waiting to celebrate with JHaynes in the 'zone?

My guy was mean-muggin' like a champ. I love it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Great find, it’s really quite easy to forget all the small details players have to remember to defend each play, First they have to diagnose play then quickly move to their assignment/gap, use correct technique to take on blocks then make tackle against D1 athletes in space. A tall order to say the least. Compound that with getting punished by a physical run game all afternoon, so now you’re tired and not as focused and banged up. Causing them to make some small errors and boom a 67 yard TD run. Think this is part we forget about Key’s body blows philosophy is that it not only wears a defense down physically, but mentally as well, so you have to be tough. Also, Loved Jamal’s patience and vision there, along with Robinson and Fusile recognizing the DE crashing to log him and adjust tracks to next lane then switching back as he recognizes backer has over pursued and he was off to the races. As they say it’s a game of inches.
The LB that went too far out of his lane was the big mistake but that play was really well executed by our OL.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Our OL blocked it almost perfectly. A defensive player making a mistake doesn’t negate great play by our OL. Mistakes happen on almost every play. When they do, chunk plays often result.
That was a both and situation. We blocked extremely well, Haynes hit the hole properly and the UNC defenders did not properly fill their gaps. That allows for a 68 yard TD run vs a 15/20 yard run. The breakdown was interesting in that it showed how one or two small things by a defense can create an explosive play for the offense. I suspect most offensive explosive plays have similar mistakes by one or two defenders.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
a 15/20 yard run
I believe this was what Key was hoping to get out of the play, based on his presser. That would have gotten us to midfield. With two timeouts, another chunk play or two (likely including a pass) could get us in field goal range for the walk-off win.

UNC's initial defensive mistake, magnified by their hobbled player not being able to close on Jamal after he cut through the hole, made the last components of Key's plan unnecessary.