Game Thread - @ UNC, 1/4/2020

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can honestly say I didn’t watch a second of the game. But I did see a 20 point halftime lead, and a win after the final horn. Beating UNC on the road is always a big win regardless of underlying circumstances. It’s basically like beating UGA in football. Does that mean I’m satisfied with the state of the program? No. Do I think the program can use this win to catapult itself to greater success? Absolutely. I’ve been as down on this team as anybody, but just looking at the stat sheet, if the team can shoot like this on any given night they’d be hard to beat. The problem is that under Pastner (and really for the past 15 years) there’s been no consistency from game to game. I genuinely hope Tech can win 12+ ACC basketball games this season. It would go a long way in my opinion to garner support for the team and CJP going forward, regardless of failures this season or previous seasons.

I have to go out more often. Saw we were up by 20 and was afraid to check again till it was over. Great night, we win and the Evil Empire (NE) loses. Gotta keep this up.

Thanks for all the videos posted. Great to watch!!

Last time we won at UNC we made the tournament sooooo....

What year? How many times have we won in Chapel Hill since we've been in the ACC?

With this type inconsistency who knows what will happen next.

Worth watching if you want to see the state of the Carolina team right now. Appears that Ol Roy may have lost them

Roy is a gentleman. I'd hate to be on the team this week. Best line was that he was thinking about having the team run sprints on the court during half time.

Yes, he knows he has lost the team. I expect younger players will get more time. Nothing worse you can do to these guys who expect to go to the NBA than to bench them and not let them get stats. Plus be stigmatized as not being a player.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's not get too carried away. Roy was playing without his best two players and scored 56 points on us in the 2nd half. That big lead should not blind us from the reality that we played like our regular selves in the second half. We finished the game with some tough possessions, so we were able to hang on.

Deleted member 2897

Let's not get too carried away. Roy was playing without his best two players and scored 56 points on us in the 2nd half. That big lead should not blind us from the reality that we played like our regular selves in the second half. We finished the game with some tough possessions, so we were able to hang on.

So they were forced to play Top 50 players instead of Top 25 players. Womp Womp.

Their previous 3 recruiting class included 4 5-stars, and their classes averaged top 10-15 nationally. They had the #3 player nationally, #4, #25, #27, #30, #71, #72, #131, #178, #193, #217, and #267. Womp Womp.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So they were forced to play Top 50 players instead of Top 25 players. Womp Womp.

Their previous 3 recruiting class included 4 5-stars, and their classes averaged top 10-15 nationally. They had the #3 player nationally, #4, #25, #27, #30, #71, #72, #131, #178, #193, #217, and #267. Womp Womp.
You just don’t understand how hard it is to compete when you can only put a #27, #30, #72, #178 and a #217 on the floor.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You just don’t understand how hard it is to compete when you can only put a #27, #30, #72, #178 and a #217 on the floor.

As hard as having to play against a back up QB? :LOL:

Let's get carried away. Wins like this are so rare they need to be treasured. The losses and lows will come.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree that the game is a bit misleading because of the big early lead and that we gave up a ton of points in the second half, but we did not play like our regular selves in the second half. We shot 63% and scored 49 points in the second half. We won the first half 47-27 and we lost the second half 56-49. 96 points is the most points ever scored by a CJP coached GT team. I wish this was our regular selves.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
What is the significance of the gas station visit? Appreciate any enlightenment

It's just what they do after a road win. They treat the players to gas station junk food before taking the trip back home. The players seem to like it. I don't remember which road game started it. I think there is a particular gas station in the triangle area that they hit up when they get a win against one of the NC teams around there. That gas station owner should be a GT fan.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't lottery pick mean one of the first 4 draft picks (was 3 before 2019)? That term lottery pick is way over used.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't lottery pick mean one of the first 4 draft picks (was 3 before 2019)? That term lottery pick is way over used.

The first 3-4 picks are determined by the lottery, but the first 14 picks are eligible to be moved up in to the top 3-4, based on the lottery.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We started burning clock in the second half to shorten their number of possessions and we had key players in foul trouble. That put more pressure on our half court offense to score and we executed very well doing it. I thought this was one of Pastner's better coached games and the kids played great.
For those who watched the tar heel video you can see why everyone else in the league hates the heels. They give no credit to the other team when they lose. We were fortunate that Anthony was out because he may be the best player in the ACC this year but them's are the breaks. Other teams didn't seem to mind when Jose was out. UNC is still loaded with talent without Anthony.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
What is the significance of the gas station visit? Appreciate any enlightenment

When we beat NC State the team went to the Sheetz market (which is a gas station and convenience store chain). The team walked through and got drinks, snacks, etc.

They beat NC and went back to the same gas station "we're back". It's nothing really, just some fun for the kids, they won and they like it as a team which is all that matters.

/