Game Thread - @ UNC, 1/4/2020

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If our backcourt is going to be the level of a bubble team this year then this is the game they need to show it. UNC is hurt in the backcourt and our now old guys should be able to take advantage. Hard to say UNC is ever a "must win" game but if we are going to be over .500 in the ACC as we now have to be then this is one we have to steal.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This is our best chance to beat them in Chapel H_ll, since we joined the ACC.
Our finest material and coaching or not, they are way down. They can beee had.

Seriously, you would have to be willed a season ticket through probate court to see them in person. UNCheat people have still been purchasing GT Season Tix., mainly for the game here.

LibertyTurns

Banned
OK, apologive for the lack of precise specificity. We have beaten UNC many times in Men’s basketball on their home court in Chapel Hole over the years since joining the ACC. Unfortunately it was nearly 10 years since we have done so. Note: there were many years when we did not play them there so it’s not like we’re 1 of the last 9. I’d have to count but we probably have a 5-6 game losing streak there.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean I think this game will come down to guard play.

Guard play is what college basketball is all about. You have to have great guard play to win a NC two A game these days, because it is all about the guard play. Basically it comes down to how our guards play today, if we play better in our back court than they do, we will win this game.

It is going to be all about the guard play, or said differently the way our guards play. James Banks needs to be aggressive, but really it just comes down to the guard play, because this is college basketball, and if you didn’t know - it is all about the guard play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm almost willing to bet that we are winless against UNC in Raleigh.
This is interesting. Even though you are correct, we could have played them in Raleigh had we been in the ACC prior to 19967. The conference tourney began at Reynolds Coliseum and was held there every year through 1966. We also played in a preseason tourney in Raleigh called The North South Classic where swept South Carolina and NC State one year.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We beat the Tar Holes in 2010 in Raleigh. Not sure how many times we beat them there but we’re definitely not winless.
I’m not saying we have never beat them up there. I remember Bobby winning 3 against them in a season. I’m saying going into a game up there, this is the best chance without knowing an outcome. Not saying this is our finest team by far. I watched them dodge a 3 pointer at the buzzer last weekend to nudge Yale.
The crowd didn’t seem to care as much as usual. Empty seats you never see!

And yes one time we did beat them and NC St. on back to back nights in the N/S classic. Rich Yunkus team if I remember correctly. Think he tallied 47 in one of the games that weekend.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m not saying we have never beat them up there. I remember Bobby winning 3 against them in a season. I’m saying going into a game up there, this is the best chance without knowing an outcome. Not saying this is our finest team by far. I watched them dodge a 3 pointer at the buzzer last weekend to nudge Yale.
The crowd didn’t seem to care as much as usual. Empty seats you never see!

And yes one time we did beat them and NC St. on back to back nights in the N/S classic. Rich Yunkus team if I remember correctly. Think he tallied 47 in one of the games that weekend.
Historically we only seem to win the ones we think we can’t. It would be nice to win one we think we can win.