Game Thread - @ UGA, 11/20/2019

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Are you serious ?? This is uga !! I can’t believe what I’m hearing , ask uga who their biggest game of the year is & who they have to beat every year . How long have you been a tech fan ? 2 years ?

Get over your little brother syndrome. I'll take literally any win over an ACC team over beating UGA in basketball. It doesn't hold much meaning at all especially with the way the post season is determined.

Anyways to the actual game a couple of notes.

Neutral -
We were effectively down 4 scholarships today. We aren't using 1 as is, Usher isn't playing, Sjolund is redshirtting, and Jose was clearly not well and then didn't return after a certain point. I thought that the decision to redshirt Sjolund was a bit odd due to Usher sitting until after the first semester and we are starting at 12. That will be something to watch out for in the next couple of weeks.

Good - Devoe had a monster night and it certainly seems like he has improved the inconsistency problems he had last year. That is a good sign for us going forward even though it wasn't enough tonight.
Moses played well. 18-8 on 50+% shooting. A couple ill advised shots but he definitely stepped up. I've said before but while he does some dumb stuff he has always seemed to have the desire and willingness to try to make a play when the team needs it and nobody else seems to want to.
Team showed poise on the road to some degree. When UGA pushed the lead into double digits and Jose went out it would have been easy for the team to just pack it in. Instead the second half was a back and forth deal where the main difference most of the time was that UGA started up 8 at the half. While it didn't lead to a victory tonight, that type of thing is how you steal some games on the road, as we saw against NCSU.

Bad - Jose. We need him healthy in a bad way. Maybe later in the year we'll be able to absorb an injury to him better but right now we just can't.
Banks - Credit to him for being a blocking threat, but he was a noshow on offense tonight, with just 4 points to 6 turnovers and 0-4 from the line and only 4 rebounds. He has to do better than that.
Parham - There are games where getting 10 from Bubba is enough. Tonight wasn't one of those games. It seems to me that he looks like he's afraid of trying to force his own shot but he was brought in as a shooter. On a night where Jose can't go Bubba needs to be looking for his shot more.
Defense - Defense in the first half was okay. Not great but we can live with giving up 70. Second half defense was just bad. Need to get that fixed asap. The inability to get stops is what prevented us from making a comeback. Even before the late flurry at the end we had 42 points in the second half. That should have been enough to have a chance to win but we just didn't defend well.
FTs - This is what lost us the game plain and simple. If we shot what they did from teh FT line we get 5 more points and we lost by 4. Now obviously that isn't the entire story but the truth is if we hit our FTs they don't build such a comfortable lead and we could have really built some momentum in a comeback. It's very different coming back to tie or take the lead than simply cutting the lead to 6 and the difference is making the freethrows.

Ultimately, this loss sucks. Fortunately there is a lot of room for improvement with Jose getting healthy and the addition of Usher. But if we want to seriously improve we desperately need Bubba to find his place and look for his shot a bit more.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand that in the grand scheme of the season, a loss to UGA is not going to be the overall takeaway, but it is a game of importance. Anthony Edwards will probably going on to be a top 10 pick in the NBA next year and he went to high school 20 minutes away from Tech's campus yet chose to go to UGA even after how bad they were last year. We have no selling point over them in basketball besides our early 90s success and our title run 15 years ago. There's actually more excitement for UGA basketball than there is for Tech, which is something that you wouldn't think would be possible five years ago.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Get over your little brother syndrome. I'll take literally any win over an ACC team over beating UGA in basketball. It doesn't hold much meaning at all especially with the way the post season is determined.

Neutral -
We were effectively down 4 scholarships today. We aren't using 1 as is, Usher isn't playing, Sjolund is redshirtting, and Jose was clearly not well and then didn't return after a certain point. I thought that the decision to redshirt Sjolund was a bit odd due to Usher sitting until after the first semester and we are starting at 12. That will be something to watch out for in the next couple of weeks.

Good - Devoe had a monster night and it certainly seems like he has improved the inconsistency problems he had last year. That is a good sign for us going forward even though it wasn't enough tonight.
Moses played well. 18-8 on 50+% shooting. A couple ill advised shots but he definitely stepped up. I've said before but while he does some dumb stuff he has always seemed to have the desire and willingness to try to make a play when the team needs it and nobody else seems to want to.
Team showed poise on the road to some degree. When UGA pushed the lead into double digits and Jose went out it would have been easy for the team to just pack it in. Instead the second half was a back and forth deal where the main difference most of the time was that UGA started up 8 at the half. While it didn't lead to a victory tonight, that type of thing is how you steal some games on the road, as we saw against NCSU.

Bad - Jose. We need him healthy in a bad way. Maybe later in the year we'll be able to absorb an injury to him better but right now we just can't.
Banks - Credit to him for being a blocking threat, but he was a noshow on offense tonight, with just 4 points to 6 turnovers and 0-4 from the line and only 4 rebounds. He has to do better than that.
Parham - There are games where getting 10 from Bubba is enough. Tonight wasn't one of those games. It seems to me that he looks like he's afraid of trying to force his own shot but he was brought in as a shooter. On a night where Jose can't go Bubba needs to be looking for his shot more.
Defense - Defense in the first half was okay. Not great but we can live with giving up 70. Second half defense was just bad. Need to get that fixed asap. The inability to get stops is what prevented us from making a comeback. Even before the late flurry at the end we had 42 points in the second half. That should have been enough to have a chance to win but we just didn't defend well.
FTs - This is what lost us the game plain and simple. If we shot what they did from teh FT line we get 5 more points and we lost by 4. Now obviously that isn't the entire story but the truth is if we hit our FTs they don't build such a comfortable lead and we could have really built some momentum in a comeback. It's very different coming back to tie or take the lead than simply cutting the lead to 6 and the difference is making the freethrows.

Ultimately, this loss sucks. Fortunately there is a lot of room for improvement with Jose getting healthy and the addition of Usher. But if we want to seriously improve we desperately need Bubba to find his place and look for his shot a bit more.
Not gonna argue with ya , but that’s bad if yuh don’t think uga is the biggest game of any season , & we need to stop making excuses

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand that in the grand scheme of the season, a loss to UGA is not going to be the overall takeaway, but it is a game of importance. Anthony Edwards will probably going on to be a top 10 pick in the NBA next year and he went to high school 20 minutes away from Tech's campus yet chose to go to UGA even after how bad they were last year. We have no selling point over them in basketball besides our early 90s success and our title run 15 years ago. There's actually more excitement for UGA basketball than there is for Tech, which is something that you wouldn't think would be possible five years ago.
I agree

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Death. Taxes. Low IQ basketball.

I swear this program practices how to travel against close outs and turning the ball over on fast breaks.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you have any idea that every game this season is meaningless in regards to March? The only reason to hope for a good year is for recruiting. When you get destroyed by your biggest in-state rival year in year on the court it’s disheartening. When you’re getting destroyed year in year out in recruiting by that same in-state rival, it’s embarrassing. GT plays in the biggest basketball market in the southeast, in the best basketball conference in the country, and is getting destroyed by a team with essentially no basketball history other than one player in the 80s. This game matters, and it matters a lot. To throw it away every year is embarrassing.
Thank you , unfortunately I don’t think our AD cares

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
lv20gt, I love your posts. On both the football and basketball forums I think your posts are some of the most analytical and on point posts of anyone on the board, but this hang up you have about the little brother syndrome is annoying. You need to hate uga more.

I agree with everything you said about the actual game.

GT11

GT Athlete

Neutral -

We shoot 40% from 3 range and almost 50% from the field we’ll win games. It’s the third game and they haven’t played in a week. Let’s wait until we get in the ACC games before we start the doom and gloom

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm really excited to watch the programs I literally am obsessed over, lose 3 games in a 5 day period. I cant begin to tell you all how ecstatic I am about this wonderful turn of events.

God help us all.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
DeVoe's last minute heroics is the only reason we were close enough to claim FTs were the issues. They obviously didn't help but it wasn't the core issue. FWIW we missed 11 FTs and they missed 8. We have a lot more issues right now than missed FTs.

As has been stated our defense is a big step down from last year right now. Last year we averaged giving up 66 points per game. 82 is way too much given our generally anemic offense. We were getting blown by routinely in this game. If that doesn't get fixed we are in a world of hurt

DeVoe hid a world of sins on the offensive end. And until the last couple of minutes we were not very good. Ball movement wasn't good so most of DeVoe's work came off of one on one moves or a single pick by Banks. More to the point beyond DeVoe no one really stepped up. We are going to have to get something from Banks, Parham and Moore. And not having the real Jose reAlly hurt. He shouldn't have played. I worry CJP will "Lammers" him.

For us to get bubbly Bubba has to be a legit threat from 3 and not get blown by all game. We need more

I like that we didn't fold in the second half. But DeVoe's last minute heroics hid a lot of ills we need to correct

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
We shoot 40% from 3 range and almost 50% from the field we’ll win games. It’s the third game and they haven’t played in a week. Let’s wait until we get in the ACC games before we start the doom and gloom
Not to mention the outlier FT%

GT11

GT Athlete
It was Georgia’s first game in about a week as well. They made free throws and looked as if they had played together before though.
Agree. But I’m still not going to panic. Again make FT and we win. Go back to NCST. We made FT and everybody was on the bandwagon. Got beat tonight and people want to give up on the team and season. Winning in The ACC make this loss seem small