Game Thread - @ UGA, 11/20/2019

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Finally watched the full game. Client event Wed, NC State game Thurs, work/sick Fri, other obligations yesterday. Sadly, knew the outcome immediately Wed PM, and it deflated my desire to watch the inevitable, but it's yeoman's work.

Just read through the thread. I'm not as hung up on FTs as others. When I see two Moses catch-and-shoots from the wing with 13 sec to go on the shot clock (yes, I started charting this), I think about narrowing the gap with two extra possessions that instead are effectively turnovers, giving us 17 for the game.

With Parham, I'm not sure there's much drop off offensively from Alvarado. Where we struggled in JA's absence was on defense. With Parham up top we allowed step in 3’s and j's from Georgia, and it wasn't the OReb/kick-out variety. He wasn't always in position, and even when he was, the Dwag's wings elevated and were long enough to suggest there was no pressure at all.

Watching this game was the first time I thought that Devoe could reasonably leave early. Not necessarily this year, but maybe. Aside from raining threes, he played like a pro with the ball in the lane. One of his biggest issues is arguably his greatest strength - his speed/burst. He's one of those never-blow-by-you guys that has a knack for getting by you. Reminds me of the 2G version to former Carolina PG Kendall Marshall. If Devoe had the surrounding cast and the Carolina media hype machine, I think he'd be talked about more. 26 scouts at the game...

The 2nd timeout in the first half hurt us in the 2nd, but not for the end of game scenario that the announcers talked about. I thought we lost control of the game in the first 4-5 min of the 2nd half when Georgia extended the lead to 14-16. It felt like a situation where you stop the bleeding with 3 TO's remaining, but with only 2 timeouts, it was more questionable. Just my opinion. Georgia had comfortable game control the rest of the way, despite our late surge. Of course, CPast burned the third timeout after a make with 9 min to go... which is a general strategy I struggle to understand.

Lastly, the announcers were awful. Thank you to @kg01 for calling this out. SECN offers huge payouts to the schools, apparently in part due to keeping basketball announcer expenditures low.
  • "Rim don't lie"... almost
  • Moses Wright... "from New York"
  • Devoe... "He. Is. A. Guy"... accurate statement and deepest insight over 40 minutes

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching this game was the first time I thought that Devoe could reasonably leave early. Not necessarily this year, but maybe. Aside from raining threes, he played like a pro with the ball in the lane. One of his biggest issues is arguably his greatest strength - his speed/burst. He's one of those never-blow-by-you guys that has a knack for getting by you. Reminds me of the 2G version to former Carolina PG Kendall Marshall. If Devoe had the surrounding cast and the Carolina media hype machine, I think he'd be talked about more. 26 scouts at the game...

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about Devoe. We will see how he continues to play, but he has progressed much quicker than expected so far.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Finally watched the full game. Client event Wed, NC State game Thurs, work/sick Fri, other obligations yesterday. Sadly, knew the outcome immediately Wed PM, and it deflated my desire to watch the inevitable, but it's yeoman's work.

Just read through the thread. I'm not as hung up on FTs as others. When I see two Moses catch-and-shoots from the wing with 13 sec to go on the shot clock (yes, I started charting this), I think about narrowing the gap with two extra possessions that instead are effectively turnovers, giving us 17 for the game.

With Parham, I'm not sure there's much drop off offensively from Alvarado. Where we struggled in JA's absence was on defense. With Parham up top we allowed step in 3’s and j's from Georgia, and it wasn't the OReb/kick-out variety. He wasn't always in position, and even when he was, the Dwag's wings elevated and were long enough to suggest there was no pressure at all.

The 2nd timeout in the first half hurt us in the 2nd, but not for the end of game scenario that the announcers talked about. I thought we lost control of the game in the first 4-5 min of the 2nd half when Georgia extended the lead to 14-16. It felt like a situation where you stop the bleeding with 3 TO's remaining, but with only 2 timeouts, it was more questionable. Just my opinion. Georgia had comfortable game control the rest of the way, despite our late surge. Of course, CPast burned the third timeout after a make with 9 min to go... which is a general strategy I struggle to understand.

Lastly, the announcers were awful. Thank you to @kg01 for calling this out. SECN offers huge payouts to the schools, apparently in part due to keeping basketball announcer expenditures low.
  • "Rim don't lie"... almost
  • Moses Wright... "from New York"
  • Devoe... "He. Is. A. Guy"... accurate statement and deepest insight over 40 minutes

and of course, per the norm, a kid who has been decent at best, has a career night against us