Game Thread - @ UGA, 11/20/2019

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Somebody tell me. Does the final score suggest we made a comeback or was it just a couple of shots went in late to make it seem respectable?

I turned it off when we went down by like 13 late.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Somebody tell me. Does the final score suggest we made a comeback or was it just a couple of shots went in late to make it seem respectable?

I turned it off when we went down by like 13 late.

The uga first crowd may burn you at the stake, heretic. Shame!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I used the word "more" purposely. I didn't say or imply that it is binary.

The GT basketball program is far more important to me than the uga basketball game. I used the example of the four best seasons in our history as evidence. I'm not sure what is confusing about that.

I guess, but on the other hand nobody said the UGA game was more important than the GT basketball program, so it's a bit of a straw man argument. But this game is still a special game, or at least it should be. I hope that point doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess, but on the other hand nobody said the UGA game was more important than the GT basketball program, so it's a bit of a straw man argument. But this game is still a special game, or at least it should be. I hope that point doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

It actually isn't a strawman argument when there are people calling it the most important game of the year. Most also means something.

I agree that it is one of our more important out of conference games. Out of conference basketball games in November have a limited value, though. That is the point.

I've never had the thought that it didn't matter that we were that bad in 2009 because we beat Georgia, for example. Going 2-14 in the conference is much more important than that win. Football would be different. If we beat them in football this year it would be special and erase some really bad memories.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I couldn't take the announcers, couldn't take the bad calls, couldn't take the misses ft's.

I hoped my jacket bro's would help fill in the gaps. :(

Moses played well in the 2nd half. Scored it in a variety of ways, but all you’ll read about here is that he attempted a 3.

We cut it down to 6 but had a couple of bad possessions that allowed them to push it back out to double digits until the end.

Banks was getting over the flu and looked lethargic, Devoe was balling, but didn’t get much from elsewhere.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The uga first crowd may burn you at the stake, heretic. Shame!
I don’t consider myself a “Defeat UGA First” person. Do want to beat them just the same equally in both of the sports you mentioned(actually every sport we play them in)as the opportunity only comes up one time each per season/year. You implied earlier that beating them in football, was more important than hoops. Football is the higher revenue sport at Tech and perception wise I can see your point. For me, they are of equal importance.

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm certain you aren't alone. We have way too many fans who hate Georgia more than they like Tech.

Feel free to choose your 3 favorite seasons of GT hoops and explain why they are better to you than 1985, 1996, and 2004. If you can do it without feeling like you are lying then you REALLY hate them.

There's no sense in beating this to death.... You can go back as far as you want to, but any great or good season we've had is made much better with a win against ga in any sport... Its not the end all be all of every season of every sport, but when most Tech fans look back at Tech's history in sports one of the first things they look at is how we did against ga in which ever sport for that year.... Say for instance we win the ACC in basketball and lose to ga.. It was a really really good season but there will always be a cloud over it because of losing to that bunch.. Don't mean I'm not happy with the season however ... Just could have been much sweeter... And by the way I hate ga as much as I love Tech..lol

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
For me it wasn’t just free throws.

traveling against close outs
Empty fast breaks
Getting out rebounded by a team that’s 280th in the country in rebounding
Inability to make open shots
Pastner benching Parham in favor of Alvarado when Parham was awesome early
Continued deployment of Moses Wright on the perimeter and his continued inability to pass up a triple. (Usher can’t get eligible fast enough)

A Pastner led GT team hasn’t put a complete game together since Okogie left. It’s been short stints of brilliance sandwiched by long stretches of SWAC basketball.

Right you are. I still cannot for the life of me understand why Pastner does not forbid Moses from taking a shot beyond 5 feet, or for that matter, even setting foot on the perimeter. He gets the ball out there and acts like he’s going to shoot it as if the defense will come after him. The fact is they’re WANTING him to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
There's no sense in beating this to death.... You can go back as far as you want to, but any great or good season we've had is made much better with a win against ga in any sport... Its not the end all be all of every season of every sport, but when most Tech fans look back at Tech's history in sports one of the first things they look at is how we did against ga in which ever sport for that year.... Say for instance we win the ACC in basketball and lose to ga.. It was a really really good season but there will always be a cloud over it because of losing to that bunch.. Don't mean I'm not happy with the season however ... Just could have been much sweeter... And by the way I hate ga as much as I love Tech..lol

Great post. We just have different priorities, which is fine.

Cheers!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not when their starting PG and one of their best scorers and playmakers is hobbled and doesn’t play half the game. It was obvious that Jose wasn’t himself from the tip. We don’t have enough playmakers on the offensive end to have him go out. We need him scoring and facilitating the offense. Without him, our offense grinds to a halt.

Banks has had the flu the last week, and Khalid finally came to earth and had a terrible game. That’s a recipe for disaster in a rivalry game.

It was obvious that Jose wasn’t himself, I agree, which is why it was puzzling to see that Bubba, who was really good early, sat for a large portion of the first half.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Moses played well in the 2nd half. Scored it in a variety of ways, but all you’ll read about here is that he attempted a 3.

We cut it down to 6 but had a couple of bad possessions that allowed them to push it back out to double digits until the end.

Banks was getting over the flu and looked lethargic, Devoe was balling, but didn’t get much from elsewhere.
Can you or anyone else explain Pastner subbing Wright out with 2:50 left to put in Cole?

Deleted member 2897

When you miss 11 FT and lose by 4.

Oh well, not going to get too upset when we didn’t have Usher, Alvarado was dinged, and Banks had the flu.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Right you are. I still cannot for the life of me understand why Pastner does not forbid Moses from taking a shot beyond 5 feet, or for that matter, even setting foot on the perimeter. He gets the ball out there and acts like he’s going to shoot it as if the defense will come after him. The fact is they’re WANTING him to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly! Exactly! Exactly! Don't get me wrong, I love Moses but I'd love him even more if he didn't sometimes think he was still a guard which is what he was that one year or so he played in high school before that overnight growth spurt. Yeah, I know CJP wants 3-point shooters but Moses ain't one of them. Wish he'd develop a reliable jumper from the short corner and in. Lol, other than his subconscious 'l'm-really-a-shooting-guard' mindset he's my guy. Jackets Forever!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
For me it wasn’t just free throws.

traveling against close outs
Empty fast breaks
Getting out rebounded by a team that’s 280th in the country in rebounding
Inability to make open shots
Pastner benching Parham in favor of Alvarado when Parham was awesome early
Continued deployment of Moses Wright on the perimeter and his continued inability to pass up a triple. (Usher can’t get eligible fast enough)

A Pastner led GT team hasn’t put a complete game together since Okogie left. It’s been short stints of brilliance sandwiched by long stretches of SWAC basketball.
What little I saw of the game, this describes well....

I would call that bad basketball. (I must admit, it was what I saw against Elon as well....and that's what bothered me.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Thanks, c62. If'n I can't count on no one, I know'd I can always count on you. (wha?)

But yeah, I saw they figured out a way to use Moses a bit in the 2nd. That's a good sign. I think he has the tools to be a really effective player on both ends.

I also saw enough to see Devoe played at a high level again. Still searching for the guy that kept telling us Devoe was trash all last year. Show yo'self!

Couldn't stomach much more after that. Friggin SEC network announcers.