Game Thread - Syracuse, 12/7

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with others that the team showed horrible "want to" today. They all looked like scared little bitches. I know 'ol Roy isn't popular with the GT faithful, but I like the guy, and if his team had played like Pastner's team did today I guarantee he would have subbed all 5 starters for 5 walk-ons and let the walk-ons play for a solid 5 minutes to send a message that lousy effort and lousy play isn't going to be tolerated.

Another thing. One of Pastner's weaknesses really showed today. He seems to have no understanding that basketball is a game of momentum, and that he has to intervene strategically sometimes to control the momentum of the game. Call a freaking time out. It seems like every game we lose can be traced to a 4 minute stretch where we go down by 10-15 points. Pastner let's it happen every time. You cannot let cuse and #33 start the game the way that did without calling a timeout to try to cool them off and to get in your team's face and wake them up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hmm...looking at the posting history in this thread today, you are the one being very Jennifer Jason Leigh...

Don't know about that but I think I'm gonna start answering posts in person like the guy on that creepy car commercial.

Starting with you, of course.

*ding dong*

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there a reason you just refuse to refer to Moses by his actual name? Considering he was our far and away best player today spending the entire post trashing him and refusing to refer to him by name has one wondering.

Trying not to be too hard on Moses, but I guess not calling him by name, doesn't really hide my true feelings, does it?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there a reason you just refuse to refer to Moses by his actual name? Considering he was our far and away best player today spending the entire post trashing him and refusing to refer to him by name has one wondering.

Btw, I also trashed stone hands (that's Banks), Devoe and Parhum in my post. It wasn't all about Moses.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't know about that but I think I'm gonna start answering posts in person like the guy on that creepy car commercial.

Starting with you, of course.

*ding dong*

Disallowed unless you bring good ice cream (i.e. - not that Mayfield **** you eat).

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I may have been too hard on Moses. Despite being our high point man on the day, I do not think he played a particularly good game. But, in his defense, I don't think his skill set is particularly well suited to playing offense in the middle of the 2-3 zone. But, there really was no where else for him to play as long as Banks was in the game, which is not his fault. You couldn't really flip them because Banks cannot shoot the 15 footer and Moses can.

Pastner tried Devoe in there a little bit, but he isn't really physical/athletic enough for that spot. He had 2 shots blocked from that position.

Pastner also tried Moore in there a little bit. IMO he may have been our best option in there, but he didn't really seem to excel today.

Others have mentioned Jose doing well in that position in the past. I think he has been ok at times. The best I have seen in recent seasons was Tadric Jackson in a home game 2 or 3 seasons ago. It may have been the "air ball" game. He picked them apart from the high post, I believe just in the second half of the game if I remember right.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I may have been too hard on Moses. Despite being our high point man on the day, I do not think he played a particularly good game. But, in his defense, I don't think his skill set is particularly well suited to playing offense in the middle of the 2-3 zone. But, there really was no where else for him to play as long as Banks was in the game, which is not his fault. You couldn't really flip them because Banks cannot shoot the 15 footer and Moses can.

Pastner tried Devoe in there a little bit, but he isn't really physical/athletic enough for that spot. He had 2 shots blocked from that position.

Pastner also tried Moore in there a little bit. IMO he may have been our best option in there, but he didn't really seem to excel today.

Others have mentioned Jose doing well in that position in the past. I think he has been ok at times. The best I have seen in recent seasons was Tadric Jackson in a home game 2 or 3 seasons ago. It may have been the "air ball" game. He picked them apart from the high post, I believe just in the second half of the game if I remember right.

Tadric also killed them at the low post because he was able to get down there and hide until found to take a pass & score.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree Creighton is good - the kind of team we were hoping to be this year. Likely make the tourney regardless of winning the BE outright.
The TIC/sarcastic angle is if we were as good as we need to be to be bubbly we would be handling a team like NB close to the same way.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Btw, I also trashed stone hands (that's Banks), Devoe and Parhum in my post. It wasn't all about Moses.

It wasn't all about him, but you actually used their names and it was "their shot setup was too slow" and "dropped the pass" while with #5 was a terrible choice, disaster waiting to happen, turnover city and stupid. Considering he was the only player one could even begin arguing that had a good day and it's obvious you just don't like the player and were looking to rag on him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There should be performance based hurdles in these contracts that allows a school to fire a coach without a big buyout. Really punishes the school, the players, and the fans, since we stick with coaches, who have poor records, so we don’t break the bank.

That literally defeating the purpose of the buyout and all it would do is force schools to pay more on the front end

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It wasn't all about him, but you actually used their names and it was "their shot setup was too slow" and "dropped the pass" while with #5 was a terrible choice, disaster waiting to happen, turnover city and stupid. Considering he was the only player one could even begin arguing that had a good day and it's obvious you just don't like the player and were looking to rag on him.

Henceforth, I shall refer to him as Moses or the baby giraffe instead of #5, and I like him fine as long he is not dribbling, playing with or without the ball outside the 3 point line, fouling 3 point shooters, show boating instead of getting back on defense, or pouting/sulking after a missed shot/missed dunk/turnover.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

I think Moses is a pretty good choice for the high post if he was actually taught how to play there. The high post guy should only dribble the ball if he has a path to the hoop or a quick bounce to the 12 foot shot. It doesn't appear the coaching part has happened.

He is much better suited to playing there than outside in the 4 out look.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would try Moses there without a doubt. In reality the best option we had and he just wasn't up to it. Had open shots he turned down and drove into the D routinely. Never looked at the backside which is where the zone should be open. The other option that should have worked was Moore but his head was to put it politely not in the game. So we tried our only real 3 point threat in the post as a hail mary.

Our issue wasn't the scheme we attacked the zone with. We couldn't get our head out of a certain part of our anatomy to see if the scheme could work.