Game Thread - Syracuse, 12/7

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game might have a worse score than that Big East championship game between Louisville & Cincinnati.

We're missing key pieces and Fran Fraschilla said last nite that Hughes is Cuse's only ACC level player.

Don't forget the game was moved from Sunday to Saturday.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game might have a worse score than that Big East championship game between Louisville & Cincinnati.

We're missing key pieces and Fran Fraschilla said last nite that Hughes is Cuse's only ACC level player.

Don't forget the game was moved from Sunday to Saturday.

Why did they move the game? I was still under the impression that it was Sunday.

That sucks, I may not be able to make it now.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Why did they move the game? I was still under the impression that it was Sunday.

That sucks, I may not be able to make it now.
Games were moved that weekend to ensure the two teams in the ACC football championship game were NOT playing on Saturday - looking at revised schedule, there are two ACC games on Sunday - Clemson plays in one, and Virginia the other.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw the first half of uva vs cuse earlier this season. Cuse had 2 points at the 10 minute mark. Ended up scoring 34 total. I know it was against uva, but cuse really looked offensively challenged. Their zone d is probably stout as usual. This is an ACC game that we can win.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about doing a formal preview for this game, but it would be too dispiriting and not something I want to sink time into. Happy to do one though if folks are interested. I will be subjecting myself to the game in-person via media, in case others will be there.

Syracuse is historically bad this year. As in, likely the worst team in Boeheim's tenure. This will be a bad loss if we lose to them. Barring a drastic turnaround, this will be Boeheim's first losing season in his career.

Fran Fraschilla's takes have been spot on. He did one or both games at the preseason NIT last week, can't remember, but he certainly did the Penn State game. Syracuse right now is arguably the worst team in the ACC and is currently playing at Pitt/Wake levels of bad from recent years.

Hughes (SF) is legit. He is the only player that will scare anyone. The remainder of the roster is ACC back-ups at best, partially due to injury, partially due to roster mix (3 upperclassmen, all juniors) and partially due to poor evaluation/poor recruiting/sanctions.

There are at least 5 ways we can beat this Syracuse team. They can't rebound. They lack length at the top of the zone, making it more porous. They lack athleticism at the 1, 2, 4, and 5. Only one person can create a shot (Hughes). There is no backbone/leader to help them respond to runs. They can't press effectively. Etc, etc, etc.

This will be the 3rd time in Boeheim's tenure that his team will average fewer than 70/points a game for the season. The other 2 times were in the last 6 years, and it's one of a few launching points for coaching criticism. Attendance is way down this year. Threads on Syracusefan.com are interesting to look at, even if just for the thread titles, to get a sense of the tenor of the fanbase.

Happy to answer questions if anyone's interested.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was thinking about doing a formal preview for this game, but it would be too dispiriting and not something I want to sink time into. Happy to do one though if folks are interested. I will be subjecting myself to the game in-person via media, in case others will be there.

Syracuse is historically bad this year. As in, likely the worst team in Boeheim's tenure. This will be a bad loss if we lose to them. Barring a drastic turnaround, this will be Boeheim's first losing season in his career.

Fran Fraschilla's takes have been spot on. He did one or both games at the preseason NIT last week, can't remember, but he certainly did the Penn State game. Syracuse right now is arguably the worst team in the ACC and is currently playing at Pitt/Wake levels of bad from recent years.

Hughes (SF) is legit. He is the only player that will scare anyone. The remainder of the roster is ACC back-ups at best, partially due to injury, partially due to roster mix (3 upperclassmen, all juniors) and partially due to poor evaluation/poor recruiting/sanctions.

There are at least 5 ways we can beat this Syracuse team. They can't rebound. They lack length at the top of the zone, making it more porous. They lack athleticism at the 1, 2, 4, and 5. Only one person can create a shot (Hughes). There is no backbone/leader to help them respond to runs. They can't press effectively. Etc, etc, etc.

This will be the 3rd time in Boeheim's tenure that his team will average fewer than 70/points a game for the season. The other 2 times were in the last 6 years, and it's one of a few launching points for coaching criticism. Attendance is way down this year. Threads on Syracusefan.com are interesting to look at, even if just for the thread titles, to get a sense of the tenor of the fanbase.

Happy to answer questions if anyone's interested.

Don't subject yourself to that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Cuse is just bad lately.

Defensive, over-reacting to every offense.
Offensive, taking poor shots, seemingly having no clue how bad it appears.

Much like the Orange basketball team this year ...

... Eeeeeeyyyyyoooooo!!!!!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
One of Boeheim’s (the coach) worst teams ever, bad offense, only one kid that can score, a must win ACC game for GT. Sounds like the perfect storm for one or both of Boeheim (the player) or Dolezaj to torch us for 30. Let’s hope not.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good article from the Syracuse newspaper about how Iowa defended Syracuse.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebask...racuse-basketball-they-focused-on-3-guys.html

Takeaway is they only worried about 3 guys - Hughes, Boeheim and Girard. With Hughes they started harassing him at 1/2 court and tried to deny him the ball as much as possible as he was the only guy they were worried about off the dribble and getting hot from deep.

With Girard and Boeheim their plan was to get them off the 3-pt line. Both are dangerous shooters if they can simply catch and shoot, but neither is good at scoring inside the line and off the dribble in particular. if Sidibe or Dolezaj scored a few points they didn't care. They didn't feel either could create their own offense enough to really hurt them.

Both Girard and Boeheim have had 1 big game. Girard had 24 pts on 8 shots (5-6 threes, 5-5 FT) against Seattle University. His high score ouside of that game is 12.
Boeheim had strong games against Colgate (17), Cornell (16) and Bucknell(22) and a solid game against Penn St (14), but played poorly against UVA, OK ST and iowa.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
'Cuse has only one player who I think has the ability to turn the corner offensively and be impactful this year. That is Marek Dolezaj. The rest are too green - Girard, Guerrier, Edwards.

Dolezaj hit 38% from behind the arc last season. He's struggling right now (25%), and his form is inconsistent, primarily because he missed the majority of the offseason due to a hand injury, which kept him from getting up shots.

He's shown the ability to operate and facilitate from inside the arc, and teams are going to leave him 1:1 and sometimes 0:1, because of the focus elsewhere that @RamblinRed mentioned.

Do I expect him to turn the corner Saturday? No, especially since we play good D.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse's roster is inexperienced, and it is even worse than it appears on paper.

Here's their scholarship roster:
  • Junior - Elijah Hughes
  • Junior - Marek Dolezaj... missed this offseason with a hand injury
  • Junior - Bourama Sidibe... injured for most of his career... played 10 min/game last year on bad knees
  • Junior - Howard Washington... had a stroke and sat out last year outside 3 games, 10 total minutes
That's the upperclassmen.

• Sophomore - Buddy Boeheim... played last year; solid mid-major 2 guard who got minutes in year 1 for some reason
  • Sophomore - Jalen Carey... injured hand for good 2nd game this season; going for medical redshirt this year
  • Sophomore - Robert Braswell... 3rd string back-up SF who played 60 minutes total last year
  • Freshman - Joe Girard
  • Freshman - Quincy Guerrier... went from being a mid-year enrollee last December, to being denied admission due to missing credits and therefore didn't participate in high school basketball last year
  • Freshman - Brycen Goodine
  • Freshman - Jesse Edwards
  • Freshman - John Bol Ajak (redshirting)
The only player that is playing this year who had the benefit of an extra year was Hughes following his transfer from ECU, otherwise no redshirts.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just hoping Girard and Boeheim don't have a hot shooting day saturday.
This is spot on. That's really the only way they win, unless we beat ourselves.

It does make me wonder whether our zone is the best option, even though it's so good. Curious for your and other thoughts here. Girard and Boeheim cannot create for themselves, but they are capable of hiding in the corners and launching from deep on kick-outs from Dolezaj.

Hughes will get his but he won't win this type of game on his own.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@CuseJacket I agree on the zone. Would love to see us play aggressive man on Girard & Buddy and let the other three keep a body on Hughes at all times. I think Devoe / Parham / Price can stay with Girard & Buddy and limit their open looks. Khalid is a very good man defender and could stay on Hughes with screen / roll hedge help from Cole / Moses / Banks.

The odds of Sidibe or Dolezaj burning us with a 30 point game are very slim. I think we focus on those three guys and would love to see aggressive man on those three.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it even has to be aggressive man. The issue would be staying with them and running them off the 3 point line. Don't have to be uber aggressive and give them any driving lanes. I don't think they can create if we are in front of them.

The key will be the hedge guy - Banks or Moses being close enough to keep them from just launching. Stretches the D but shouldn't be a real issue.