Game Thread - Syracuse, 12/7

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is spot on. That's really the only way they win, unless we beat ourselves.

It does make me wonder whether our zone is the best option, even though it's so good. Curious for your and other thoughts here. Girard and Boeheim cannot create for themselves, but they are capable of hiding in the corners and launching from deep on kick-outs from Dolezaj.

Hughes will get his but he won't win this type of game on his own.

I'm expecting mostly man, at least to start.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I had 3 in diapers at the same time. Kimberly Clark stock dropped when they got potty trained.

I had acquired a daughter that was at UNC about the same schedule you have. I will say it sucked as child support stopped when she was admitted and my resources were stretched to say the least

As a famous guy said - I feel your pain

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was thinking about doing a formal preview for this game, but it would be too dispiriting and not something I want to sink time into. Happy to do one though if folks are interested. I will be subjecting myself to the game in-person via media, in case others will be there.

Syracuse is historically bad this year. As in, likely the worst team in Boeheim's tenure. This will be a bad loss if we lose to them. Barring a drastic turnaround, this will be Boeheim's first losing season in his career.

Fran Fraschilla's takes have been spot on. He did one or both games at the preseason NIT last week, can't remember, but he certainly did the Penn State game. Syracuse right now is arguably the worst team in the ACC and is currently playing at Pitt/Wake levels of bad from recent years.

Hughes (SF) is legit. He is the only player that will scare anyone. The remainder of the roster is ACC back-ups at best, partially due to injury, partially due to roster mix (3 upperclassmen, all juniors) and partially due to poor evaluation/poor recruiting/sanctions.

There are at least 5 ways we can beat this Syracuse team. They can't rebound. They lack length at the top of the zone, making it more porous. They lack athleticism at the 1, 2, 4, and 5. Only one person can create a shot (Hughes). There is no backbone/leader to help them respond to runs. They can't press effectively. Etc, etc, etc.

This will be the 3rd time in Boeheim's tenure that his team will average fewer than 70/points a game for the season. The other 2 times were in the last 6 years, and it's one of a few launching points for coaching criticism. Attendance is way down this year. Threads on Syracusefan.com are interesting to look at, even if just for the thread titles, to get a sense of the tenor of the fanbase.

Happy to answer questions if anyone's interested.

Sports are entertainment that you should enjoy. But somehow we get addicted and some like pain. Did being a Syracuse fan lead to being a GT fan, or the other way around?:depressed:

Concerning the game, I think we have a better team this year which will only improve when we get Jose back and the new dude.

Finally, just checked the time and it's a nooner. Great so doesn't interfere with the ACCCG or the stomping of the dwags.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Little nugget for you guys. I have a new gig with access to some new toys.

This Syracuse team has face zone only 7% of their possessions this season and is getting roughly 0.82 points per possession. We play zone about 50% of the time and are giving up 0.72 PPP in those defensive sets, which is in the top 15% of the country.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Little nugget for you guys. I have a new gig with access to some new toys.

This Syracuse team has face zone only 7% of their possessions this season and is getting roughly 0.82 points per possession. We play zone about 50% of the time and are giving up 0.72 PPP in those defensive sets, which is in the top 15% of the country.

What are those nuggets for man? Figure we will play man as much as zone tomorrow.