Game Thread - Pitt, 3/4

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The team got better and better as the season went. Jose is playing at an elite level right now.

One thing that bothers me though is we seem to get called for a lot of offensive fouls.

/

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Great night tonight. This was the Jackets best game of the year. Defense was simply awesome. Banks was terrific and he will
be missed. Loved the 3 pointer by Phillips at the end. Tech was in command the entire game and has grown tremendously. Josh
has accomplished a lot this year and its a shame that they will not go to the tournament. I will be at the game Friday against
Clemson. To me, any team that wins half of its ACC games as GT has this year is an NCAA tourney team. Go Jackets !

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would have LOVED to see this team in a tournament setting. As we have seen all year, there's not a team we can't play with. Given how we ended the year, I'm pretty sure teams are glad to not see us in the ACCT.

I said earlier in the year that I could see us as a top 6-8 ACC team. Here we are with a chance to finish in the top 5 when it's all said and done. We have not finished at least 0.500 or better in the ACC since 2007. Well, we're guaranteed at least that now. THIRTEEN years...see ya!

I'm glad Shembari finished his career here making his last shot even though bigger things were expected of him. Banks will be missed, and a tribute to him that he developed into one of the better centers in the country after transferring from UTexas.

This can be special team next season. It's Pastner's "get old, stay old" plan coming into fruition with his most talented recruiting class coming in.

It's gonna hurt not seeing this team play more games given how good we are now, but we still have one more game to play.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is something that is worth pointing out since fans tend to see only the bad in their teams and don't understand that many times you may not look great but you are actually outperforming your competitors. This from the big picture write-up of the game at CBSSSports,

Georgia Tech: After ranking near the bottom of the ACC in shooting in their first three years under coach Josh Pastner, the Jackets are second in field-goal percentage in ACC games and sixth in 3-point accuracy.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech: After ranking near the bottom of the ACC in shooting in their first three years under coach Josh Pastner, the Jackets are second in field-goal percentage in ACC games and sixth in 3-point accuracy.

That makes sense. We get a fair amount of dunks and lobs. We score from the paint a lot (bigs and guards). We don't shoot a ton of 3 pointers... and we turn it over a lot. All of those things help our shooting percentage.

/

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why are people complaining after that game?

SMH
Baffling...other than a brief stretch where Pitt hit 4 threes in a row to end the first half (still down 9) and a short rough patch to start the second half, it was arguably our best performance of the season.

This team is peaking and I can guarantee you that there are a few teams atop the ACC that are breathing a sigh of relief that they do not have to play us in Greensboro.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From a former PG to a current PG:

This is great...I saw Capel stop and talk to Jose for a while in the post-game handshake line, and then these comments afterwards. That is big of him.

Regarding Xavier Johnson, he acted like a major punk last night. He was talking trash the entire game.. Every time he made a shot our end, he had something to say to our bench.

There were a few times where he slapped the ball out of our guys hands. I'd never seen that side of him before, but he really looked like a lil ***** last night.

Loved the T that they gave him after he fouled out. Capel was not very happy with him.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is great...I saw Capel stop and talk to Jose for a while in the post-game handshake line, and then these comments afterwards. That is big of him.

Regarding Xavier Johnson, he acted like a major punk last night. He was talking trash the entire game.. Every time he made a shot our end, he had something to say to our bench.

There were a few times where he slapped the ball out of our guys hands. I'd never seen that side of him before, but he really looked like a lil ***** last night.

Loved the T that they gave him after he fouled out. Capel was not very happy with him.

Probably still jealous Devoe took his spot.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is something that is worth pointing out since fans tend to see only the bad in their teams and don't understand that many times you may not look great but you are actually outperforming your competitors. This from the big picture write-up of the game at CBSSSports,

Excellent point.. There hasn't been a lot of credit given to Pastner, but his decision to change the offense after Ball State game was huge.

Our offense ended up being one of the best in several years for us. If I'm not mistaken, we're averaging 10ppg higher than a year ago as a team.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This has certainly been an odd period for GT basketball. Hope the AD’s not mired in a pool of uncertainty and can decide to stay the course or pull the top cord. Guess we’ll know sometime after Friday night’s game. My bet is stay the course.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Looking more and more like Jose will be a draft pick. Prob 2 or 3rd round, but a pick nonetheless. I really hope we come in next year with a chip on our shoulder. I think it could be a good year for us.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking more and more like Jose will be a draft pick. Prob 2 or 3rd round, but a pick nonetheless. I really hope we come in next year with a chip on our shoulder. I think it could be a good year for us.

He's a gamer, hellva player, and has the heart of a lion, but I don't think that he has the measurable's or athletic ability to be a draft pick.

That said, he will absolutely have a basketball career after college, but it will likely be with a top European/foreign team.

Just an FYI, there are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft.