Game Thread - @ Louisville,1/22

Buzz78

Georgia Tech Fan
This may have been our best played game this season especially considering the competition and on the road. Turnovers again really hurt our chances but somehow didn’t feel like 17. Maybe it was the type of turnover but nonetheless a trip down without a shot at the basket.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I generally agree with your pessimism, but I disagree about Parham being out of his league. He made a few great plays, like when he saved that errant pass from going backcourt, then found James wide open under the basket and made the home run 45 foot pass.

Not flaming you gte, but it’s a damn shame when we are recognizing someone’s pessimism, but I digress. Bubba isn’t out of his league but we do need more from offensively. Did he even take a shot? He’s too good of a shooter not to look for his offense.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a common refrain, but I have to say it again. The (basically) 6 man rotation probably cost us again. I know it is tempting in the first half when we’re shooting 60% to stick with what’s working, but you have to know that the fatigue is going to catch up to you later in the game. We even had an 11 point lead early in the second half, so could have subbed even by lv20gt’s standards (I’m sure he will show up to explain why I’m dead wrong). Banks looked gassed during that period of time when our lead evaporated.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Not flaming you gte, but it’s a damn shame when we are recognizing someone’s pessimism, but I digress. Bubba isn’t out of his league but we do need more from offensively. Did he even take a shot? He’s too good of a shooter not to look for his offense.
I know. I would prefer to stay positive, but it ain’t easy sometimes, so I try to just call it like I see it.
I would also like to see bubba be more aggressive. I even think he is capable of much more than just spot up shots from 3. I looked back at his stats from VMI. He averaged 21 points on 15 shots per game. Took 9 3 pointers per game.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
The crazy short bench is mind boggling.

That's exactly what I was saying in the chat. It's an obvious indictment on the coaching staff when we have a 6-7 man rotation and 0 bench points...The players give it everything they have, but the coaches have to put them in a position to win. And that means finding ways to get them rest so they aren't playing on tired legs at the end of every game.

Also - If we are serious about wanting to be a tournament team, we have to be able to win games against good teams (yes, even a top 10 team every once in a while). Especially when we are winning by 11 in the middle of the second half. So let's not act like there is no reason to be disappointed

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm done here this year. Y'all are a bunch of pansy asses that know nothing about competing.
Go Jackets

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Easy Bog. Everyone is frustrated but Pastner isnt getting it done. They do compete but the lapses offensively and the mind boggling turnovers is the issue. We dribble for 30 seconds and hope we get a shot. There’s nothing being run offensively. No need to quit posting. It’s just been 10 years of the same **** with the program regardless of the coach.

JPaul

Georgia Tech Fan
Every ****ing game. We get excited because we know how to play 34 minutes of basketball before going into free for all mode. It's Brian Gregory all over again.

I too am becoming very discouraged with the play of this BB team, coaching included. Aside from having to pay a ton extra just to watch an away game on television (except for this game) which I am not going to do the rest of this season after leaving the tit feeling dejected game after the game more often than not, I'm reaching the end of it. I can imagine how the players feel. The realization is evident we just can not sustain the pace and outplay through a whole game with any consistency a "real" opponent; except that once and while we get really, really lucky. It's unfortunate that we just don't have the horsepower, the talent or the coaching. I do like this coach as well as the individual players as individuals and gentleman. It just makes my heart sick to watch the outcome of most of our games.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It’s a common refrain, but I have to say it again. The (basically) 6 man rotation probably cost us again. I know it is tempting in the first half when we’re shooting 60% to stick with what’s working, but you have to know that the fatigue is going to catch up to you later in the game. We even had an 11 point lead early in the second half, so could have subbed even by lv20gt’s standards (I’m sure he will show up to explain why I’m dead wrong). Banks looked gassed during that period of time when our lead evaporated.

We could have subbed, and then Enoch would have did when we took Banks out and just gotten great position and an easy layup because Moses couldn't stop him and lord knows that Cole wouldn't have changed that

Also we had an 11 point lead for all of 17 seconds and then a 10 point lead for all of 7 seconds. Man, I'm wondering why we didn't make a sub then. Within 2 minutes it was back to a 3 point lead.

And yes. Our lack of depth is an issue. Not because we have a good bench and just choose not to sub, but because we don't have a good bench at the moment. The solution isn't just arbitrarily playing people more. Playing more players doesn't solve the issue of not having good depth it just exposes a weak bench.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
We could have subbed, and then Enoch would have did when we took Banks out and just gotten great position and an easy layup because Moses couldn't stop him and lord knows that Cole wouldn't have changed that

Also we had an 11 point lead for all of 17 seconds and then a 10 point lead for all of 7 seconds. Man, I'm wondering why we didn't make a sub then. Within 2 minutes it was back to a 3 point lead.

And yes. Our lack of depth is an issue. Not because we have a good bench and just choose not to sub, but because we don't have a good bench at the moment. The solution isn't just arbitrarily playing people more. Playing more players doesn't solve the issue of not having good depth it just exposes a weak bench.

Right, and whose fault is it that we don't have a decent bench again? When you overrecruit transfers that tends to happen. Just like Gregory.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm done here this year. Y'all are a bunch of pansy asses that know nothing about competing.
Go Jackets

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Door’s that way pal. Maybe you’re the one that doesn’t know a damn thing and others are right. Not 100% sure, but something you may wanna think about as you’re not here again this year. Bye.

Last edited:

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the 3 shot at the end was a perfect, gutsy call by CJP, considering our foul trouble, player exhaustion and playing on the road against the #6 team.

I wish we had a better bench, but we were not too exhausted to come back from 11 down in what, the last 3 minutes.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
There is certainly reasons to bit**, but tonight is not a time for it. I guess all teams have fans that bit** about everything, but GT seems to have more than their share. Usually it is due to some sort of complex.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
U of L hoops coaches' salaries highest in ACC

JEFF GREER | @JEFFGREER_CJ | 2:35 pm EST December 15, 2016
icon-sms_24.svg

The University of Louisville's assistant coaches are likely the highest-paid men's basketball coaches at public schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference, a review of 24 coaches contracts obtained by the Courier-Journal found.

U of L pays more than $1.2 million in base salary to its three assistant coaches, a figure larger than the seven other schools whose coaches' contracts can be accessed through open-records requests. Seven ACC institutions - Boston College, Duke, Miami, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest - are not subject to open-records laws.

Combined with head coach Rick Pitino's annual salary of nearly $5.1 million, U of L spends more than $6.3 million on its hoops coaches. Only Duke, which pays head coach Mike Krzyzewski $7.3 million annually and associate head coach Jeff Capel $525,785 a year, is believed to have a higher salary base for its coaching staff.

Maybe we need to give CJP better bench help.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

I am not convinced. I think we needed Banks -- that much is for certain. But we could've given the other guys a breather. Let me put it this way - we know what happens when we don't. It's the same script every time. We run out of gas and cannot close out the game.