Game Thread - @ Louisville,1/22

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Once again you forget what our team was like when we only had 3 starters, sometimes 2. And look at those games LOL - fire Pastner because someone hit a 40 foot bank in at the buzzer? LOL. Notre Dame is 12 points from being 16-2.

and we are only 11 losses from being undefeated.

Do you not see the product? You're trying to justify the existence of KMart in an Amazon market. Last nights, effort was admirable at times. But why in the world is Moses standing outside the three-point line in the short corner for the first five or so possessions of the game? Trying to stretch the floor? They don't respect him enough to guard him out there. If you're going to do it at least put Khalid on the floor.

I get that some of you guys think that telling it how it is has a negative impact on the program especially in recruiting. What impact do you think losing has? What impact does 3-6 at home have? Don't even hit me with an away number, that doesn't wash it out. Depaul is (cheating) making strides, Washington State made a great coaching hire. Rutgers is ranked. Are these the teams we are trying to compete with? Sure, the team is playing better than it did when we lost at home to USC Upstate, but we still lost to Ball State at home. We are one of the worst programs in the power 6, and trust me I work with guys all over the country. They have no qualms about commenting on my GT apparel. Period. After four years are you content with THAT "improvement"? Going from embarrassing to simply not respected? At the very least we should be able to hang with a Rutgers sized turnaround. Pikiell is in year four and has that team in the top 25 for the first time in 40 YEARS.

The kids we are recruiting now were 6 or 7 years old when we last made the tournament. Some hadn't been born when we went to the final four.

This is going to piss a bunch of you off and I'm sorry, this is also why I need to limit my time on this board.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Can't really fault CJP for not having a deep rotation. We went up 11, sat Banks for 40 seconds and the lead got cut in half. We just don't have the talent to close games out. Hustle only lets you look good for 35 minutes. At some point you have to be able to actually hit a goddamn shot like a normal college basketball player. Same ****'s been occurring for 15 years. Whatever the hell BS technology we're using to "improve" shooting in practice needs to get office space printered.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Im just glad Devoe shot the 3 at the end. They played pretty good but at the end of the day they lost. If we didnt loose all the other games then it would be ok, but we did so moral victories aint gonna cut it. Lastly, Pastner is awful and its amazing he is a head coach in the ACC

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry. My mistake. Old data, but still. Mack has Dino Gaudio in the bench for game help. Josh is the youngest coach in the league. He needs help but I’d hate to fire the next Bobby Bowden who also had a pretty lousy record his first few seasons.
Dont worry Pastner isnt the next bobby Bowden. Also pastner is “older” then his age considering hes been a head coach for at least 10 years already

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it was right before half we got the ball and we called a timeout. Was anyone else thinking dam we probably have way better chance to score if they dont go talk to Pastner? Lol

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Khalid Moore has started 20 games. Can’t sniff the court. Evan Cole has started 10 games. Can barely get on the court and gets zero leeway then gets pulled. Bubba started 60 games at VMI, led his conference in scoring 22 points per game on 15 shots and took 9 3’s per game. Asanti Price has great athleticism and is damn near the only guard we’ve had on this team in the last 5 years who can actually dunk the ball, except for Okogie and maybe Tadric Jackson. Phillips was a starter at Tennessee 3 years ago and averaged 8 points per game. His scoring numbers were equal to Usher at USC. There is enough talent between these guys to spell 5 minutes per game for Jose and Mike and 5-10 minutes per game for Moses and James. The 3 spot should be an open tryout of rotation players. Usher has done some good things but he has not been solid enough to have that spot locked down for 30minutes per game.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Some positives since we did play well this game. Jose played a helluva game guarding Nwora the ACC leading scorer and holding him to half of his season average on 3-11 shooting. Jose also had his first ever double-double with 10 rebounds. Devoe had a very good scoring game scoring 21 on 7-14 shooting. If devoe stays here all 4 years he could be one helluva guard in his senior year. Watch his post-game interviews. He seems very level headed and thoughtful. I think he is the type of player that can really translate his experience into heightened level of play in game situations.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Im just glad Devoe shot the 3 at the end. They played pretty good but at the end of the day they lost. If we didnt loose all the other games then it would be ok, but we did so moral victories aint gonna cut it. Lastly, Pastner is awful and its amazing he is a head coach in the ACC

Agreed. He got a good look. He’s one of the best shooters in the league. Gotta live with that one as it was the best opportunity to get the win.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Pastner is undefeated if you count moral victories. Meanwhile, the only real record that everybody else looks at is 8-11 overall and 3-6 in the conference. They've lost 3 in a row and 4 out of their last 5. Two of those losses are to teams that wouldn't make the NCAAT if the selection was this weekend. Our best win of the year so far is against NC State, which feels like a lifetime ago since it was the first game of the season. Since then, we haven't beaten a team that amounts to ****. The low point of the season was getting smoked on our home court by Ball State, so yeah things are definitely better than they were but we aren't playing "good" basketball. We've played better basketball for stretches in the past 10 years. Heck, in Gregory's last season, that team played pretty well the last 10 or so games of the regular season. This is quickly going down as Pastner's worst season of coaching since he started here.

Gregory’s last team played some great ball the last two months of the year. They would easily beat this year’s team, IMO. And yes, he should get dinged for that Arkansas lost. Do you forget how utterly pathetic the offense was in overtime?

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
With fans like these, who needs enemies?
I'm not sure what you expect from fans of a team that is 8-11 and losers of 4 out of the last 5 in a weak ACC.
Fans complain. When they stop, your program is usually in trouble because apathy has set in. We're getting to that point. Look how short the game threads are getting.

Deleted member 2897

With fans like these, who needs wins?

It’s not about whether you complain about losing, especially late in the game like last night. I don’t think anybody would blame fans for that. But I’m sure you know that. The deflections today are interesting.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It’s not about whether you complain about losing, especially late in the game like last night. I don’t think anybody would blame fans for that. But I’m sure you know that. The deflections today are interesting.

When you’ve essentially sucked for over a decade what’s being deflected?

as someone else said, it could definitely hit the point where the “meanies” don’t even care anymore. That’s about all we have left already.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Thoughts on our last two meaningful possessions:
  • The first one was atrocious. We looked spooked. Alvarado just dribbled around and forced a terrible shot. We had the full shot clock to get something done, and we were not mentally ready.
  • That said, Moses ended up with the ball at the basket and was hacked. BS that there was no foul there.
  • Loved the Devoe 3. Taken with the right amount of time on the shot clock (i.e., not too late), and he took it with confidence. If I were to get picky, he didn't go straight up and was falling back a bit, but I would take that possession 10 times out of 10 given the game situation.

On the first possession, Devoe also had the ball and the space to take the same 3 he took on the subsequent possession, but he turned it down. Disappointing as he should have the green light from 2 feet behind the arc any time he has space and wants it.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I honestly have no idea what the bolded even means.

Deleted member 2897

When you’ve essentially sucked for over a decade what’s being deflected?

as someone else said, it could definitely hit the point where the “meanies” don’t even care anymore. That’s about all we have left already.

No, this is what I mean:

“Please stop posting so much negativity about our team on GT boards and social media.”

“Oh, so then you’re okay with losing. Loser mentality.”

Huh? That has literally nothing to do with what I’m talking about. But apparently it makes people feel a lot better about themselves to deflect from the main topic.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As I've shared many times in the past with many examples, national championships have been won by many coaches with 7 man rotations (8 if I'm being generous and counting the random guy who played <10 minutes). The number of guys you play is not the issue. It's the quality of the players or how they're being used. This year, it's more the latter than the former i.e., not the players. We have enough talent.

There's still a reasonable chance we turn it around in ACC play given the set-up of our schedule, however even if it happens it's likely too little, too late, unless we make the magical run in the ACCT. The latter actually seems possible given we already have evidence that we can hang with the top 3 teams. The rest of the conference is a crapshoot. By comparison, Syracuse hasn't played any of those 3 yet. If we can avoid playing day 1 in the ACCT, I don't think we necessarily need to catch lightning in a bottle to win the thing as in years past.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
As I've shared many times in the past with many examples, national championships have been won by many coaches with 7 man rotations (8 if I'm being generous and counting the random guy who played <10 minutes). The number of guys you play is not the issue. It's the quality of the players or how they're being used. This year, it's more the latter than the former i.e., not the players. We have enough talent.

There's still a reasonable chance we turn it around in ACC play given the set-up of our schedule, however even if it happens it's likely too little, too late, unless we make the magical run in the ACCT. The latter actually seems possible given we played the top 3 teams fairly well, and the rest is just a crapshoot. If we can avoid playing day 1, I don't think we necessarily need to catch lightning in a bottle to win the thing.

We haven’t beat a single team that was close to full strength. This is just not a winning team, as they have far too many offensive implosions and don’t even give themselves a chance to catch fire from the perimeter. I wish they would give Price more time to see if he can develop into something for the future.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
We haven’t beat a single team that was close to full strength. This is just not a winning team, as they have far too many offensive implosions and don’t even give themselves a chance to catch fire from the perimeter. I wish they would give Price more time to see if he can develop into something for the future.
There seems to be this idea that when the schedule lightens up (starting now essentially), that this team is capable of "flipping a switch." This team hasn't won consecutive games since early December. Here's to hoping they flip the switch...