Game Thread - dook, 1/8/2020

Deleted member 2897

Well, we out rebounded them, played mostly even. A couple cold stretches - before the end of the first half and at the very end of the game. We took like 10 more shots than they did. The difference that I see in the box score is Moses was 5 for 18. If you're not hitting your shots, at some point you have to let someone else with a more hot hand try. You can't monopolize the team's shots when you're shooting 25%.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Proud of how we played, I know a loss is a loss, but this Duke team may win it all. Might think I'm crazy, but I really think this team can go 13-7 in the ACC

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Can’t blame the coach on this game. Players were put in the spots to score. The coaches can’t score for them.
When we play like we did vs ball st though is when you can blame pastner, but tonight I'm proud of the effort and the gameplan

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I can actually speak on the Stegeman comparison directly. I was at the UGA/Kentucky game the night before to see UGA get beat, and the Duke game last night...two 9:00 games back to back watching royal blue, highly ranked teams. The thriller dome was unlike any time I’ve seen in the last few years last night, but Stegeman is a different animal. That place was insane...yelling the entire night, non stop. Students were in their seats almost 2 hours before the game. It was the same for the UGA/GT basketball game too. I was taking it all in, wishing we could bring that game day/night experience to GT. It makes me hate UGA even more to see that level of excitement and involvement from their fans for a basketball program that has basically been pure crap forever. I have only been to the GT and Kentucky games at uga, which were absolutely packed with UGA fans, but my friends that go to more say they are almost always at capacity. Compared with our (GT) home games where last night was the first game this year I’ve seen us at more than 50% capacity. Kentucky fans were completely drowned out...never heard or saw them...you couldn’t over the rabid uga fans constantly yelling. Last night with duke, there were a couple of times they were able to get noticeably loud.

Thanks for providing your perspective. I’m not talking about games other than last night (the 50% capacity games). Those suck, and unfortunately, as you say those are the norm for GT these days. However, what you say about the direct comparison between sellout crowds is disappointing. Although, watching the uga-KY game on tv, the big blue chants were audible near the end, albeit after KY had the game in control. The problem with sellout crowds at GT over the past several seasons is that they usually only happen against the blue bloods and are made up of large contingents of the visiting fans. Those visitor fans have to be eliminated for the thriller dome to really return, but of course GT basketball has to become relevant again for that to happen.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Extremely overrated

He’s not overrated. No one is hyping Banks. Maybe preseason and early, early season when there was NBA talk. I’ll give you that, because personally I don’t think he’s got nba level skills. But, lately it’s quite the opposite. A lot of people have been pretty down on him.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Banks has been frustrating at times, but he's also been equally as good. Last night he went up against one of the best bigs and a potential top 10 pick.

However, he seems to be out of it mentally at times. He gave up that one offensive rebound to Carey at the end off a FT because he was distracted by someone in the crowd. If you go back and watch it, he's having a conversation with a fan just before the shot. 5th year senior should not be making that kind of mistake in this game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be the first to admit I don't go to a ton of b ball games, but I don't remember our place rocking like it was last night in a long time. The atmosphere was electric. The Thriller Dome was trying to rise from the ashes. Was it that way during the Jarrett Jack years or do you have to go back to the days of Cremins for a similar buzz in atmosphere?
Ive been to the vast majority of home games since the thriller dome reopened as McCamish Pavillion which was 7 seasons or so ago, and I don’t think there has been another game where it was as loud for as long as it was last night. Even during halftime, I could barely have a conversation with the guy sitting right next to me. It was pretty great in there last night. Even coach k acknowledged the crowd and the atmosphere more than once in his post game presser.

It’s just too bad our guys couldn’t pull out the W. That could have been a game-changer, not only for this team, but for the fan base and for the thriller dome setting going forward into the next few games against ND, UVA, etc.

One more point re: the thriller dome last night... even in a loss, that atmosphere had to have made a positive impression on the high profile recruits that were reportedly in attendance. Surely Stegeman can’t compete with that.
I can actually speak on the Stegeman comparison directly. I was at the UGA/Kentucky game the night before to see UGA get beat, and the Duke game last night...two 9:00 games back to back watching royal blue, highly ranked teams. The thriller dome was unlike any time I’ve seen in the last few years last night, but Stegeman is a different animal. That place was insane...yelling the entire night, non stop. Students were in their seats almost 2 hours before the game. It was the same for the UGA/GT basketball game too. I was taking it all in, wishing we could bring that game day/night experience to GT. It makes me hate UGA even more to see that level of excitement and involvement from their fans for a basketball program that has basically been pure crap forever. I have only been to the GT and Kentucky games at uga, which were absolutely packed with UGA fans, but my friends that go to more say they are almost always at capacity. Compared with our (GT) home games where last night was the first game this year I’ve seen us at more than 50% capacity. Kentucky fans were completely drowned out...never heard or saw them...you couldn’t over the rabid uga fans constantly yelling. Last night with duke, there were a couple of times they were able to get noticeably loud.
Short answer, yes, the place rocked for full seasons, not just for Duke and Kentucky opponents.

During the Elder/Jack/etc. years, students lined up outside of the stadium for most ACC games. They ran in to the stadium to get to their seats. It wasn't just standing in line like we saw in the Tweets from last night. Students trading out places while in line during the school day so that they could get good seats, with coolers of beverages that helped them keep warm and get rowdy for warm-ups.

We can get there again. I wish our students and fans wouldn't wait for a top opponent or for us to win to support the team, even though that's not unique to GT. The crowd's energy last night gave our team a lift, opponent aside.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We just didn't execute on offense the last 4 minutes. That is when guard play takes over and every possession is critical like a tournament game. We didn't finish at the rim and the wrong player took a 3 at a critical time when the game was still within reach. I think our offense is much better with Jose and we are attacking the paint off the dribble rather than passing back and forth out front and then firing up a 3 ball with shot clock running down. Much improved. Now just finish at the rim and this team is a tough out.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Short answer, yes, the place rocked for full seasons, not just for Duke and Kentucky opponents.

During the Elder/Jack/etc. years, students lined up outside of the stadium for most ACC games. They ran in to the stadium to get to their seats. It wasn't just standing in line like we saw in the Tweets from last night. Students trading out places while in line during the school day so that they could get good seats, with coolers of beverages that helped them keep warm and get rowdy for warm-ups.

We can get there again. I wish our students and fans wouldn't wait for a top opponent or for us to win to support the team, even though that's not unique to GT. The crowd's energy last night gave our team a lift, opponent aside.

I remember some of those days. Even though I played football as my primary sport during youth (I’m 41 years old), as a young GT fan my favorite sport was always basketball. I think it’s a better sport from a spectator aspect. And I loved the relatively few times I got to go to a GT basketball game. Seemed like the tickets were hard to get, and it was always rocking, with a great student section and fan base. Continued mostly through my time as a student at GT in the late 90s.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we continue to play the way we have the last two games it won't take long for the crowds to come back in force. Not only will we have better teams, but more fun ones to watch. As someone mentioned, we have to be able to have that kind of energy and execution even when we aren't facing a blue blood. The way we played last night would probably be enough to win 12 or 13 of the remaining 16 games. Now obviously every team plays up and down to some degree but keep it close to that level should lead to a lot of wins the rest of the way and a lot of momentum going into next year. That could lead to a much better home crowd against non blue bloods.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I remember the days when it was Alexander and about 6000 max. During Morrison era I lived off campus and we lost power due to an ice storm. My wife and I came to a basketball game to get warm. Walked right in and choice of seats. You could hear the players calling plays and warning of screens it was so quiet. Last night was terrific. A few wins and the fans will be back. Unfortunately we had too many losses earlier in the season to have much of a shot at the post season. Great effort by the team. Jose adds intensity that was needed.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm torn about how I feel about this game.
We played hard, we were right there with Duke, nothing to point at as far as coaching, but we still lost.
If this game is what we needed to propel us on a run of 5-6 wins IAR, I'll look back at it as a turning point.
But if we sink back into the abyss, it means nothing ... hate to be pessimistic, but our 15 year rebuilding program has bled my patience.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
That's not a fair assessment. He's a really good college player. What are folks expecting to see? Freaking Bill Walton or something.
I expected to see improvement from last year, especially for a guy that’s been mentioned as a NBA prospect. Statistically, he’s the same player.