Game 8 #UNCvsGT Postgame

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I sat next to a Michigan fan when we played UNCheat several years ago who said BDS was louder (3/4 full) than the big house @ 100% capacity. He could only guess that its because BDS is not wide open like a bowl and the fans are stacked on top of each other.
Yeah you really can't sit far away from the field uness you go to the back of the upper north seats. Compare that to the huge stadiums where half of the crowd sits like 500 yards away from the field.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Which of yall rushed the field and wrecked the Wreck window? ACC network says one-a yall jack legs cracked the window, dropped your phone, came back for it, snatched it from security, and disappeared into the night.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

Angry Mad GIF by Pokémon
Wow. Didn’t hear about that! Disappointed in whoever did that. I was too busy running around and hugging our players to notice where the Reck was.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Wonderful review.I too love the night -time atmosphere.The loudest I can ever remember was vs VaTech in '14? It was a chilling sound that nite..--and I've been watching for 60 yrs.
VT ‘14 was a road game, you might be thinking of the ‘09 game when we beat them when they were in the top 5.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Honestly don’t know any stadium that is louder than BDS with a good crowd that is really hyped.
Years ago, when FSU and Miami first joined the ACC, an enterprising reporter for a Tallahassee newspaper interviewed a few FSU football players for their reactions to the other ACC teams, stadiums, etc. One was asked what surprised him most? He said that he was shocked at how loud Grant Field was for a comparatively small crowd. Another relayed how he was surprised to find how feisty Wake Forest was in their game. They would talk smack and the Demon Deacons would give it right back. It was interesting.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah you really can't sit far away from the field uness you go to the back of the upper north seats. Compare that to the huge stadiums where half of the crowd sits like 500 yards away from the field

I went to a GT game at Clemson several years ago. Our tickets were in the Second deck about 25 rows up. It literally seemed like you were looking down in a big Well. I couldn't read the player's numbers without binoculars. When I stood up, it felt like I was going to topple headfirst onto the field. Talk about Steep! I would not waste $20 for a seat there.

My wife and I left after a few minutes and found an Italian Restaurant in Greenville and watched the rest of the game on TV.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
My take on it is positive in the long run. And I’m typically a negative person here.

2024 will be rough for a couple reasons:

1) Scheduling and

2) Season ticket sales (big time IMO) - we play only 5 home games. Calling FSU and ND home games is bull****.

But those are sins of the past and 2025+ looks better.

I went to a GT game at Clemson several years ago. Our tickets were in the Second deck about 25 rows up. It literally seemed like you were looking down in a big Well. I couldn't read the player's numbers without binoculars. When I stood up, it felt like I was going to topple headfirst onto the field. Talk about Steep! I would not waste $20 for a seat there.

My wife and I left after a few minutes and found an Italian Restaurant in Greenville and watched the rest of the game on TV.
Oh yea the Clemson upper is notoriously steep. If you slip you going down the stairs it could be all she wrote.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Had that exact same experience for one game at LSU's Tiger Stadium in the Upper, Upper Deck. It was a joke and we left after just a few minutes and enjoyed the game on TV at a nearby pub.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oh yea the Clemson upper is notoriously steep. If you slip you going down the stairs it could be all she wrote.
Many, many moons ago I saw us play UT up there in Knoxville when Coach Curry was our coach. I think the game ended in a tie. Or maybe we won. Or perhaps lost. Who knows? What i do know is that we were in the upper deck. And the steepness of that descent had me holding the hand rails tightly going down to the consessionsstand and/or bathroom. After my fourth Johnny Walker, Jim Beam and Sprite combo drink I scooted down to the bathroom on my butt one step at a time as I knew one stumble would have me ended up dead af out there on the football field. Those steps were steep. I am happy to say that I survived. My wife probably isn't. To this day, steep steps, unannounced quizzes, and scary clowns remain the stuff of my Halloween nightmares.

Jolly Good Fellow
As I have written here before, loudest I've heard BDS (from the field) was 1976 vs ND as clock ticked away and it became apparent we were going to win 23-14.... Crappy Tech team, ND ranked Top 10, and Grant Field still held 60K... and noise grew and grew.
In 1985 vs UGa, night game, misting fog, Gary Lee catches a short KO and goes 85yds.....stadium was shaking...even though UGa fans in south bowl were dead silent......Tech fans in West stands hugging each other, some crying...

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
Many, many moons ago I saw us play UT up there in Knoxville when Coach Curry was our coach. I think the game ended in a tie. Or maybe we won. Or perhaps lost. Who knows? What i do know is that we were in the upper deck. And the steepness of that descent had me holding the hand rails tightly going down to the consessionsstand and/or bathroom. After my fourth Johnny Walker, Jim Beam and Sprite combo drink I scooted down to the bathroom on my butt one step at a time as I knew one stumble would have me ended up dead af out there on the football field. Those steps were steep. I am happy to say that I survived. My wife probably isn't. To this day, steep steps, unannounced quizzes, and scary clowns remain the stuff of my Halloween nightmares.

You are correct; it was a 6-6 tie. That was my first GT game, and the night I decided that Tech was my first choice for college, since they had great academics and athletics. And the bagpipe player in the band was cool, too.

You’re also right about the seating at Neyland Stadium. My dad had season tickets in the upper deck and it felt like watching the game from the Goodyear blimp.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
When I was in my youth fans would stomp their feet in the upper stands and it felt like an earthquake if you were sitting underneath.
True story. My senior year we played UT in Knoxville and a friend and I went. TBH, Neyland Stadium back then was a dump! It just looked old and when you were inside it looked even older. Anyway, it rained all game and all those Vols fans all had on those tacky orange rain slickers but were totally silent all day because we beat the crap out of them that day. It was 24-0 late in the 4th and then their little water bug QB broke loose for about a 60-yard TD run and the place came unglued! One of the loudest noises I had ever heard to that time. Then they started stomping on those bleachers and the place started vibrating. I wondered about the harmonic and if it was going to be my last day alive.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
True story. My senior year we played UT in Knoxville and a friend and I went. TBH, Neyland Stadium back then was a dump! It just looked old and when you were inside it looked even older. Anyway, it rained all game and all those Vols fans all had on those tacky orange rain slickers but were totally silent all day because we beat the crap out of them that day. It was 24-0 late in the 4th and then their little water bug QB broke loose for about a 60-yard TD run and the place came unglued! One of the loudest noises I had ever heard to that time. Then they started stomping on those bleachers and the place started vibrating. I wondered about the harmonic and if it was going to be my last day alive.
Yeah, stomping in rhythm might be catastrophic. 😊

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Neyland is where I grew up and no large Stadium is louder. The mutts stadium is pittifully quiet in comparison. Bobby Dodd when rocking is a damn close 2nd and one of the best "small" stadiums.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It may have been about 1985 when unheralded Tech gave 17th ranked Tennessee all they wanted but their great kicker Reveiz saved them by kicking a game tying field goal from way out. He had earlier missed a chip shot but came through when it counted. I think the score was 6-6. We won 9 games that year lost 2 (one was to UVA, natch and the other was to #8 Auburn with Bo Jackson) and the one tie with Tennessee. Black Watch days.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 15013I just wanna say how sharp our unis looked. I might catch hell for this, but I think the white hat is our best look. What I like best though? No 404 ATL Competition is King plus other sh*t tattooed all over. Clean, classic, but modern at the same time.
View attachment 15012
View attachment 15014
Top photo was the early 70's uni. That was a sharp look. Modelled by Calvin c. 2006 against UVA. That top photo shows (IIRC): Rick Lewis (13), Bubba Hoats (34), Gary Faulkner? (38), and is that Smylie Gebhart? (94). Tough, tough D with bunch of headhunters in the DB. Oh, for that D today! Where's deepsnap? Somebody get deepsnap in here to get positive ID's. :p

ETA: That's Buck Shiver #94.

Last edited: