Game 8 #UNCvsGT Postgame

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Just a couple of observations from an old guy back in BDS for the first time since ‘21 COFH

BDS under the lights has always been special for me. I had a good feeling going into the game. I had west stands season tix for years but the weekend car trips were wearing me out. A friend offered me his lower East tix at the last minute, so I went and took one of my sons with me. We had a blast. Close to the student section and the band. Great atmosphere.

On the deep ball to Singleton in the first half, I thought it was overthrown. Singleton is FAST. The comparisons to Campbell are spot on.

On the play where Haynes pulled it from Dontae, I noticed the pre-snap shift. Four receivers all shifted out wide. Opened up the middle of the field. You just don’t get to see things like this on TV. Great play call and execution. Dontae was killing them at the time.

On the 2pt conversion play. Great design and execution. Seemed almost too easy.

My view was blocked for the second Seither catch, although HK was right in front of me. The delayed signal and then BDS exploded.

TV is fine, but nothing beats BDS especially at night. Nothing against the folks that weren’t there, I’m usually at home watching too nowadays - I just love the live game experience.
Wonderful review.I too love the night -time atmosphere.The loudest I can ever remember was vs VaTech in '14? It was a chilling sound that nite..--and I've been watching for 60 yrs.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The only time I have personally seen Tech beat UGA was my senior year at Tech, though I have watched a few on TV.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The win was incredible...but some of the defensive calls/scheme/execution is still gnawing at me. We can't expect to rush for 250 yards in the 4th quarter in future games.

This one play in particular had me baffled.
View attachment 15002

We had just scored our first touchdown to pull within 7 and of course let UNC march down the field. They're 1st and goal on the 7 and....what are we doing here?

We just don't have a DE on the open side of the field. Our last DL on that side is Makius Scott who gets double teamed, it looks like both of our DE's are on the short side of the field??? And both LBs and one safety are close enough they could hold hands. Why? If we're overloading one side of the line with DE's shouldn't an LB step up to cover contain on the edge? The result of this play was the LB took a poor pursuit angle, got blocked by an OL, and LaMiles Brooks was the only person who could even attempt a tackle at the goal line and it's a quick TD for UNC. Whaaatttt.

Really need to clean up all the confusion right before snap
I have watched and been frustrated on several of these plays. Our line shifts one way leaving our outside guy on the other side lined up inside of a blocker with the angle to seal him inside. We have lost outside leverage on the line so who has the outside responsibility? It is either a nearside LB or a safety. Most times they line up too far inside, are too slow to react, and too slow in pursuit. If you have any D coaching experience at all you can see this coming. It is an alignment problem combined with players not reacting quick enough and too slow afoot to make the play. Come on coaches WAKE UP. In this case the LB or S should be more positioned outside and should be more aware of his first responsibility. He just cannot wait for the running back to take three full speed steps before he flows outside.
You can only get away with this D scheme if you line up and react to get there to stop the play, not to just chase the back into the endzone.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have watched and been frustrated on several of these plays. Our line shifts one way leaving our outside guy on the other side lined up inside of a blocker with the angle to seal him inside. We have lost outside leverage on the line so who has the outside responsibility? It is either a nearside LB or a safety. Most times they line up too far inside, are too slow to react, and too slow in pursuit. If you have any D coaching experience at all you can see this coming. It is an alignment problem combined with players not reacting quick enough and too slow afoot to make the play. Come on coaches WAKE UP. In this case the LB or S should be more positioned outside and should be more aware of his first responsibility. He just cannot wait for the running back to take three full speed steps before he flows outside.
You can only get away with this D scheme if you line up and react to get there to stop the play, not to just chase the back into the endzone.
How bout this next week with uva notvhaving great qb and w all this alignment finger pointibg, we just put 8 men in box and send 5,6, 7,or 8 abd play on other side of los?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Sims hasn't played since giving away their first two games. Nebraska is 5-1 since and has a decent shot at going to the B1G championship game as the West representative.
It was the second game against Colorado I was referencing when in the second quarter he fumbled on a first down play and it was pretty much downhill from there. He did have a nice 50 plus run for a touchdown but it is telling as you pointed out that since Heinrich has started the last few weeks they have won.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not entirely true. He was in for about 3 plays this weekend. One of them involved him mistiming the snap and almost hitting the crossing route runner in the backfield.

Then he fumbled the ball and turned it over for a pick six.

(I don't believe he'll be making another appearance.)
I was posting about the Colorado game which he started but he did get in for a few plays last week, I think. If he fumbled and it was a scoop and score it would not be surprising. Nebraska seems to be doing better the last few weeks without him playing much.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
One other thing: I watch highlights and our crowd for once looks uniformly in gold aside from the pockets of Carolina blue. People are getting the memo. Good job all!
I'd like to believe that, but I had several people sitting in front of me that, while cheering for Tech, were wearing baby blue and red.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
IMG_4518.jpeg
I just wanna say how sharp our unis looked. I might catch hell for this, but I think the white hat is our best look. What I like best though? No 404 ATL Competition is King plus other sh*t tattooed all over. Clean, classic, but modern at the same time.
IMG_4522.jpeg

IMG_4524.jpeg

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Honestly don’t know any stadium that is louder than BDS with a good crowd that is really hyped.
I sat next to a Michigan fan when we played UNCheat several years ago who said BDS was louder (3/4 full) than the big house @ 100% capacity. He could only guess that its because BDS is not wide open like a bowl and the fans are stacked on top of each other.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I sat next to a Michigan fan when we played UNCheat several years ago who said BDS was louder (3/4 full) than the big house @ 100% capacity. He could only guess that its because BDS is not wide open like a bowl and the fans are stacked on top of each other.
When I was in my youth fans would stomp their feet in the upper stands and it felt like an earthquake if you were sitting underneath.