Game 8 #UNCvsGT Postgame

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
One small thing is that they really improved the stadium experience from last week. Music wasn’t interrupting the band nearly as much, announcer was on it, no embarrassing clock / down & distance shenanigans on the jumbotron, etc. Blasting Mo Bamba on third downs really got us riled up in the student section, hope we keep that.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I noticed too that there was bitching and moaning about the refs while none on this board. The r-squared value between number of referee compaints and the outcome of a game has to be almost 1.
My best friend up here in NOVA is a Tar Herl. Based on his comments UNC has never lost a game where they weren’t screwed by the refs. I simply laugh now.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Yea, not good when the LB with the most tackles is only 4th most on the team, and the rest of your LBs have 2 tackles or less. Those guys are taking themselves out of the play constantly.
I watched them specifically a lot of times tonight and they would run right up to line and get blocked and be totally out of the play.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He takes a dig at us in interviews because he can’t beat us in the field.
His post game presser was weird. A couple of things he said that didn’t make sense to me:
  • UNCs kicking game was good. Hmmm… missed a FG, had a punt blocked? Not sure how that equates to a good kicking game but OK
  • UNCs defense was great for 2 quarters and terrible for 2 quarters. Sort of accurate. They were terrific for the first quarter. They were terrible in the 2nd and 4th. And they were barely on the field for the 3rd. They did intercept a ball that no QB should have thrown and we tried to throw the ball even though the run was working on the second drive. So they played 6 plays in the third. The UNC offense dominated that quarter from a TOP perspective.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I watched them specifically a lot of times tonight and they would run right up to line and get blocked and be totally out of the play.
Looked like Kyle Efford, 44, got a lot of playing time last night. Appears from the stats he was the leading tackler of the LBs. He’s a r-Fr. Looks like we are playing a bunch of guys a lot from the 2022 class.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That throw and catch aren't getting the kudos they deserve. Seither was forced OOB but worked his way back into the play and got open a step. King never gave up but kept working for a shot at a TD. It would have been easy for either or both to give up on the play and settle for the FG. It was there. However, both kept working and King put the pass into a tiny hole and Seither grabbed it and got a toe down. If King puts that toss two feet further left, it might be picked, but is certainly knocked down. That was just a great football play by both King and Seither.
For those of us old enough… I was describing the play to my son just now and it occurred to me that it had SOME resemblance to “The Catch”. Don’t worry I’m not comparing King to Joe Montana or Seither to Dwight Clark. Just to way the play looked at the end was a little like that :cool:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
For those of us old enough… I was describing the play to my son just now and it occurred to me that it had SOME resemblance to “The Catch”. Don’t worry I’m not comparing King to Joe Montana or Seither to Dwight Clark. Just to way the play looked at the end was a little like that :cool:
Wait... The Catch isn't Godsey to Watkins???

What world are you living in? :p

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know that it fits in this thread, but this type of win, at night, on homecoming could propel the program forward. King is a stud. The same way McCollum left to play with Maye, others will look at what King and the offense has done and make the same decision about us. Couple that with the excitement and energy you see from Key with the team....I think we will be a destination spot in the portal.
There were a TON of recruits in attendance, and that game no doubt left an impression. The atmosphere, pomp, pageantry, and the W... hopefully we won a few kids over from last night alone.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Someone please send the tape to coach Cristobal.
A couple of weeks ago, after that Miami game, I opined on this board that I thought Coach Cristobal — and his Offensive Coordinator, I forgot his name — simply had a brain fart when they didn’t go into victory formation.

Well, I’ve changed my mind. I now believe they wanted to keep running the ball, just to rub our team’s noses into the dirt.

It backfired on them, big time.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of weeks ago, after that Miami game, I opined on this board that I thought Coach Cristobal — and his Offensive Coordinator, I forgot his name — simply had a brain fart when they didn’t go into victory formation.

Well, I’ve changed my mind. I now believe they wanted to keep running the ball, just to rub our team’s noses into the dirt.

I read that Christobal doesn't believe in spending practice time on 'victory formation'. You don't need it all that often. His philosophy is to play to the final down. Just run it up the middle, unlikely anything bad will happen... right?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My UNC neighbor texted me from BDS and said this is his last trip to Atlanta. "These last two trips have not been fun."

Text this morning: He said the injury to Walker appears to be not too serious. Walker seems like a good kid, so I am pleased for him.
I have made the 6 hour trip from Atlanta to chapel hill many times over the years after a GT loss. It is not a happy drive home.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

As someone else pointed out they may have been trying to get 100 yards for their RB. History says he has done this sort of thing before and lost a game. Maybe he is not as good as advertised.