Game 8 #UNCvsGT Postgame

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Dontae Smith, a senior running back who has been around the program longer than almost any current player, had a night to remember Saturday.

Playing in front of former Tech coach Paul Johnson, who had recruited Smith to come play for the Jackets as a freshman in 2018, Smith ran for 178 on 22 carries – an average of 8.1 yards per carry. It was a surprising performance for the 5-foot-11, 198-pound back who only had 61 yards on 13 carries this season.

Key said the reason for Smith’s absence in the running game through the last five games (Smith had 12 carries for 50 yards in the first two contests of the year) would be kept in house, although he made it known Smith was under no disciplinary or injury restrictions. Key and Smith both said after the win they found each other amidst the see of fans who had rushed the field to share an embrace.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of No. 4,” Key said.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The blocked punt has been mentioned in a few posts. What I thought was particularly impressive was his technique. The kid (#18 - Abdul Janneh) didn't run directly AT the pointer. he appeared to attack a point just next to the pointer and then stick out his arm. I have never really seen this and have to assume (?) this technique is coached. If so, it's impressive as it takes the "roughing the kicker" outcome out of the equation.

I thought at the time we should have started estabilishing our run game rather than going for the knockout punch. Fortunately the ensuing turnover on the first play after the block did not affect the outcome but we remained rather flat for the duration of the entire 3rd quarter on offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Team win. When the announcers announced H King " impact player of the game" I could see that from the stands and STATS. My daughter said Singleton and Rutherford for getting us back into the game. I saw Dontae as completing the win that he so helped to create. I later thought about all the tackles made by the DBs that the LBs did not. But after watching the replay today I would would say the OL as they gave King the protection and Dontae the run blocking Maybe the coaching adjustments to slow down the NC run game made everything else possible There were many other contributors as well..

Great game and team win and hope we can maintain the effort and focus. Put this game's accomplishments together with better first down yardage, ability to better stop the run and get better LB play, ability to get one yard when we need it, and a develop real pass rush and we have a top 10 team.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The blocked punt has been mentioned in a few posts. What I thought was particularly impressive was his technique. The kid (#18 - Abdul Janneh) didn't run directly AT the pointer. he appeared to attack a point just next to the pointer and then stick out his arm. I have never really seen this and have to assume (?) this technique is coached. If so, it's impressive as it takes the "roughing the kicker" outcome out of the equation.

I thought at the time we should have started estabilishing our run game rather than going for the knockout punch. Fortunately the ensuing turnover on the first play after the block did not affect the outcome but we remained rather flat for the duration of the entire 3rd quarter on offense.
I saw that as well and thought the same thing. In hindsight, Janneh's technique makes perfect sense for a couple of reasons. A. As you said, you don't want to risk a roughing penalty. B. With the exception of our prior struggles, most kickers can get the kick in the air before an attacker gets there. So if your aim point is where the ball is likely to be when you arrive (that is, already in the air a bit past the kicker's foot), you stand a better chance of contacting it.

AKABuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Dry eyes? My wife has that and it is the most annoying, aggravating thing in the world. Your description of the inside of your eyelids suddenly turning to sandpaper is just how she describes it. She recently had cataract surgery which has inflamed her eyes a bit. Hope you feel better in the morning. Rest and dream of Jacket comebacks.
I feel for you with dry eyes. My tear ducts dried up. Doctors referred me to Dr. Gavin Cohen here in Atlanta. He fitted me with some sclera contact lens. Has made a big difference. Even if you don’t need corrective lenses, you can get clear ones. DM me if interested.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I feel for you with dry eyes. My tear ducts dried up. Doctors referred me to Dr. Gavin Cohen here in Atlanta. He fitted me with some sclera contact lens. Has made a big difference. Even if you don’t need corrective lenses, you can get clear ones. DM me if interested.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. My wife says that she cannot wear contacts because of the extreme curvature of her lens? I am not up on eye stuff because the good Lord compensated my severe hearing loss from birth with very good vision even after 69 years. My wife can hear much better but struggles with all kinds of eye issues. It takes all kinds.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Dontae Smith, a senior running back who has been around the program longer than almost any current player, had a night to remember Saturday.

Playing in front of former Tech coach Paul Johnson, who had recruited Smith to come play for the Jackets as a freshman in 2018, Smith ran for 178 on 22 carries – an average of 8.1 yards per carry. It was a surprising performance for the 5-foot-11, 198-pound back who only had 61 yards on 13 carries this season.

Key said the reason for Smith’s absence in the running game through the last five games (Smith had 12 carries for 50 yards in the first two contests of the year) would be kept in house, although he made it known Smith was under no disciplinary or injury restrictions. Key and Smith both said after the win they found each other amidst the see of fans who had rushed the field to share an embrace.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of No. 4,” Key said.
More things in college football should be kept "in house". IMHO. These are still kids for the most part. They do stupid stuff, don't go to class when they should and so on. Best to handle it in private "in house" and not splash it all over social media when its no one's business except the player and the coaches. Off Rant.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A couple of weeks ago, after that Miami game, I opined on this board that I thought Coach Cristobal — and his Offensive Coordinator, I forgot his name — simply had a brain fart when they didn’t go into victory formation.

Well, I’ve changed my mind. I now believe they wanted to keep running the ball, just to rub our team’s noses into the dirt.

It backfired on them, big
He may have wanted to get his RB over 100 yards for the game as someone posted earlier. He has done the same thing before he came to Miami. Slow learner.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Nate turned in the single best play I’ve ever seen by a Yellow Jacket, maybe by a football player, against UCF last season. I was embarrassed that we booed him.
Disappointed he left and went to an ACC competitor. I think he went because he was told he would get to hook up with Maye and our QB situation was unknown. He has had a couple of good games with them but Tez Walker is their main target now. Wonder if he has any regrets. They do have a better record than us and easier schedule.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah Nate turned in the single best play I’ve ever seen by a Yellow Jacket, maybe by a football player, against UCF last season. I was embarrassed that we booed him.
yep, but he left . not enough love for the jackets. Wish him luck in the future ( but I HOPE HE REGRETS HIS DECISION. 9Nil)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He takes a dig at us in interviews because he can’t beat us in the field.
he hasn't yet leaarned "the blueprint" for winning down here. Yo Mack, don't be bringing ranked teams or even teams that the oddsmakers think are better than the Jackets or teams with better talent and NFL prospects. That's a recipe for disaster. If you wants to win, go ahead and lose 4 or 5 games in advance of the scheduled date down here. It's even better if one of those losses is to a MAC or SoCon team or such. Roll into the ATL as 7 point road dogs. That is how you do it.