Game 8 #UNCvsGT Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So... I guess Key is the answer again this week?

Seriously, I get the impatience after the years of TFG. With Key taking over last year and there being some holdover, the bar felt higher. But this is year one for this staff. TFG left behind a terrible program, bad habits, bad culture, 3.5 years of bad coaching... All of the issues were never going to be fixed in one offseason. But this is a better team than any TFG fielded and it's not close. There's improvement across the board. We're competing and beating good teams (sometimes). Plenty of work still to do. But the program is moving in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

I expect the rollercoaster to continue next weekend, though. F***ing Charlottesville. Get the 'fire Key' and 'Pyron time' posts queued back up ;)
Each week the team has to learn all over again how to beat a particular team. They learned how to beat UNC but we don’t play them again so there is no carry over from week to week. I said a couple weeks ago that each game on our schedule is going to be its own unique experience.

That’s just the way it is with a young team and a new program.

As someone else has said, just enjoy. This is like watching a child learn how to walk. The world awaits them.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know that it fits in this thread, but this type of win, at night, on homecoming could propel the program forward. King is a stud. The same way McCollum left to play with Maye, others will look at what King and the offense has done and make the same decision about us. Couple that with the excitement and energy you see from Key with the team....I think we will be a destination spot in the portal.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There's only one thing I know for sure, I will never figure this team out. This feels big for the program somehow. Dec through January is going to be very interesting to watch IMO.
I thought the coaches had a really good game plan, they did an excellent job of scouting UNC and game planning around what they saw IMO. I somehow wish HK could correct the mind farts he seems to have, throwing more than once into triple coverage sure needs to be corrected. Someone said he seems at times to get set on going somewhere with the ball no matter what and I see it the same way. Don't get me wrong the kid is extremely talented, just seems to have the already mentioned problem from time to time. Get that corrected and I see him playing on Sundays. He has an NFL arm IMO. He's mentally tough as well as physically. I still believe CBK and company will bring GT back to it's glorious past but only if Angel and J Batt get us enough money and it needs to be done already. My barber says it has.:). Hope he knows what he's talking about.
That RPO play with King KEEPING the ball for 50 yds was SWEET.That is NOT easy at all riding with that ball so long with the RB before pulling it out. He is a talented QB.Then see the last TD.--oh.my o,my

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That RPO play with King KEEPING the ball for 50 yds was SWEET.That is NOT easy at all riding with that ball so long with the RB before pulling it out. He is a talented QB.Then see the last TD.--oh.my o,my
That last TD was amazing. I was all ready for him to run out of bounds. Great play to spot the receiver at the last millisecond and deliver a pinpoint perfect pass with just the right touch.
It had to be perfect, and it was. On third down, too. We settle for a field goal and a tie if he doesn't make that play.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Oh, you could dig out comments well into the third and part of the fourth quarters
I stand by any in game comments I made about Thacker and our inability to manage the correct number of players on the field on defense. If I vented about the squib kicks, well I hate those also. Kick the damn ball thru the endzone.

Team showed real grit, found a way to win.

The change in linebackers was very helpful, think the RB situation is resolved, getting Singleton back opened up the passing, they used the TEs, King's footwork was massively better than last week.

Had some really key plays- obviously the hit, but also the fake to Dontae where King darted up the middle and Seither getting that toe down when King scrambled and was running out of options.

Avery Boyd being back is a huge help. He only had 1 catch, but watch out. Kid's a breast.

FG kicker still solid. We blocked a punt.

Kudos to whoever "fixed" the PA guy.

OL finally looked like we re-learned how to run block. They gave King enough time to throw also.

uncheat was holding all game, sometime so egregiously it defied logic as to what a hold may actually look like to that crew. The wave off of hold call was unbelievable. 1-2 timely holding calls in 4th quarter helped, and their guys unable to stay set prior to snap was big.

Concerning that Maye could cook himself dinner, eat & get dessert before our pass rush arrived. QB contain was not very good.

Bobby Dodd was electric. Not sure we win a noon start, we were lucky to get night. Students showed out and were rewarded. Games like this help build fanbases. We really needed this one.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That last TD was amazing. I was all ready for him to run out of bounds. Great play to spot the receiver at the last millisecond and deliver a pinpoint perfect pass with just the right touch.
It had to be perfect, and it was. On third down, too. We settle for a field goal and a tie if he doesn't make that play.
That throw and catch aren't getting the kudos they deserve. Seither was forced OOB but worked his way back into the play and got open a step. King never gave up but kept working for a shot at a TD. It would have been easy for either or both to give up on the play and settle for the FG. It was there. However, both kept working and King put the pass into a tiny hole and Seither grabbed it and got a toe down. If King puts that toss two feet further left, it might be picked, but is certainly knocked down. That was just a great football play by both King and Seither.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I can't stand to hear Mack Brown when he talks about McCollum saying "things are going well at Georgia Tech so he (McCollum chose to come to NC". He takes a dig at GT every chance he can.
He takes a dig at us in interviews because he can’t beat us in the field.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
And Rutherford carried us early.
The play right before Malik scored his first TD of the night he was pretty upset with one of the UNC DBs and I thought was going to get called for a dead ball personal foul. Whatever it was that happened he was on fire the rest of the night showing what he’s capable of. He’s tough and showed last year that there was reason to believe he could step in and be a huge contributor and he’s doing exactly that!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He takes a dig at us in interviews because he can’t beat us in the field.
Mack Brown has to be one of the biggest crybaby coaches in the game, up there with Beamer and Cutcliffe during the CPJ days. Guy just whines left and right about how tough life is for UNC and how they deserve better.

He hates us because he's ain't us anus.