Game 7 #GTvsUNC Media

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

At 3-3, UNC fandom is pessimistic
They have usually started fast with wins early and then swoon last part of the season. They might be challenging FSU for the cellar by the end of the year. I sure don't want them to get well against us.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think we “run the bawl” them into the ground in the 2nd half of this game enforce our will and make Geoff’s boys quit, unless God forbid- they get up on us big and we have to start passing a lot

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

At 3-3, UNC fandom is pessimistic

"And with the current defensive coordinator Geoff Collins' defense currently ranking 15th in the ACC and allowing 28.7 points per game, it's the same old, same old. "

slugboy

Staff member
I think we “run the bawl” them into the ground in the 2nd half of this game enforce our will and make Geoff’s boys quit, unless God forbid- they get up on us big and we have to start passing a lot

I can tell you a couple of things:
UNC has passed for 7 TDs this season, in 6 games. Omarion Hampton has rushed for 7 TDs. UNC has 17 TDs on the season. Hampton is a BIG part of their offense.

Nate McCollum has run 3 times for 12 total yards and caught 14 passes for 151 yards (10.79 yards per catch). He went from being our #1 receiver a secondary guy. He still gets fed the ball, but it looks like Jones, Hampton (RB), and Copenhaver (TE) are more favored targets.

If I’m TFG, I’ve been telling all my UNC defensive players “shut down the run and you win the game”. If I’m Santucci, I’m trying to keep everything contained and force UNC into 3rd and long, and I’m making sure our tacklers make clean tackles, or hold on for help to show up.

If I’m Faulkner, I’m probably looking at the JMU tape.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you a couple of things:
UNC has passed for 7 TDs this season, in 6 games. Omarion Hampton has rushed for 7 TDs. UNC has 17 TDs on the season. Hampton is a BIG part of their offense.

Nate McCollum has run 3 times for 12 total yards and caught 14 passes for 151 yards (10.79 yards per catch). He went from being our #1 receiver a secondary guy. He still gets fed the ball, but it looks like Jones, Hampton (RB), and Copenhaver (TE) are more favored targets.

If I’m TFG, I’ve been telling all my UNC defensive players “shut down the run and you win the game”. If I’m Santucci, I’m trying to keep everything contained and force UNC into 3rd and long, and I’m making sure our tacklers make clean tackles, or hold on for help to show up.

If I’m Faulkner, I’m probably looking at the JMU tape.
We need to pass early to set up the run.

slugboy

Staff member
Preview from Raleigh--more of a look back at games from previous years: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article293557529.html

Another Raleigh News & Observer article (oddly, on MSN): https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...xplosive-misses/ar-AA1rQFpH?ocid=BingNewsVerp

And a quote from their DC:

“This whole offense is designed around the quarterback,” Collins said of the Jackets. “That kid is a really good player. He operates the offense really well, sees the defense and knows when to spit the ball out on the perimeter, knows when to give it when the give is there, knows when to keep it when he’s supposed to keep it. With his skill set and his competitive nature, I think he’s really good.”

Radical concept, putting a QB at the center of an offense.

slugboy

Staff member
This might qualify as "media". Tarheel Illustrated gives an hour-plus preview and overview of UNC.

I don't have 1:11 to watch the whole thing, but in the first 10 minutes, they go into UNC's issues over the last few years. Offense and defense have been MIA in the fourth quarter for years. They've been giving up explosive plays, including a fourth and forever to Charlotte.

Here's a team profile from GameOnPaper. It's recently updated. It shows what they talked about in the podcast--explosive plays are killing them. I'm sure they'll try to stuff the run against us.

IMG_0390.jpeg

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Nervous about this game. Just seems like every news article has headlines like “What’s Next for Mack Brown and His Flailing Carolina Team?” Like we’re walking into a setup with a cornered, injured animal. I think about our team last year and the previous year. When we seemed down for the count, we’d unexpectedly win the next game. Even when the former guy was here, we’d always beat a Carolina team we weren’t supposed to beat. Add in that he’s now their DC. IMO that would be the type of thing that happens to us. Kinda like sh*tting on the option…then losing to a terrible Citadel team at home who runs the option.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Nervous about this game. Just seems like every news article has headlines like “What’s Next for Mack Brown and His Flailing Carolina Team?” Like we’re walking into a setup with a cornered, injured animal. I think about our team last year and the previous year. When we seemed down for the count, we’d unexpectedly win the next game. Even when the former guy was here, we’d always beat a Carolina team we weren’t supposed to beat. Add in that he’s now their DC. IMO that would be the type of thing that happens to us. Kinda like sh*tting on the option…then losing to a terrible Citadel team at home who runs the option.
I feel the same. We have been lucky against them several years in a row. It feels like we owe them one. The universe has a way of humbling us as GT fans..... probably because we do so well in other areas of life

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I feel the same. We have been lucky against them several years in a row. It feels like we owe them one. The universe has a way of humbling us as GT fans..... probably because we do so well in other areas of life
They are likely ready to prove they are not as bad as their record and are at home. They will be motivated. We better bring our A game.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I hate to agree with this but I am feeling the EXACT same way. UNC is hearing nonstop how bad they’ve played… how they’ve lost the fourth quarter… how they’re out of position and missing tackles… how the QB can’t hit their talented wide receivers (not to make you more nervous but did you hear them say that Tuesday was his best practice yet?) :oops:
I see a fan base that’s disinterested, a team that’s frustrated, and a staff and players not living up to potential. It could spiral on them if we smack them in the mouth. We need to provide them with PLENTY of “here we go again” moments. If we are flat and/or give them any confidence, this is going to be a really uncomfortable afternoon.