Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I always wonder if there's some kind of orchestration for balancing calls out. Like they didn't review Singleton's TD, but the mothership looked at it afterwards and determined we shouldn't have gotten that TD, so they told the refs to shade calls towards WF.
So, you think the ACC and the refs would cheat? Even most of the wildest critics of the conference won't go there.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The key words are “secure” and “control”.
I just rewatched the catch a few times from the viewpoint of the camera in the end zone, stopping the action at the moment of the catch. Singleton “secures” the ball between his forearms as it comes down. It appears that he allows it to slide from the middle of his forearms into his hands as he goes out of bounds, thus the ball movement we see. However, at no time does it appear to me to be a loss of control, such as a bobble. It happens in one smooth movement. So from that perspective, I didn’t see anything warranting an overturn of the call on the field. Caveat: I am using my gold-tinted glasses.:)
where can someone see this end zone camera view?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
So, you think the ACC and the refs would cheat? Even most of the wildest critics of the conference won't go there.
No I'm saying when they realize they missed a call in favor of one team (e.g. giving Singleton the TD), they lean the 50/50 calls towards the other team (late PI on Johnson) in order to sum up to a net 0 in the calls.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No I'm saying when they realize they missed a call in favor of one team (e.g. giving Singleton the TD), they lean the 50/50 calls towards the other team (late PI on Johnson) in order to sum up to a net 0 in the calls.
I do not think a ref would admit to anyone that he or one of his colleagues missed a call and leaned into a subsequent close call to to balance things out. There are too many video cameras with far too many angles to think those calls would stand. If you ask me whether it happens subconsciously I might agree. I ref'd basketball for a number of years. Every call stands on its own. You don't have time to think like that. In football the flag comes out or it doesn't. Late calls will almost always be reviewed.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why every team doesn't do what the Philadelphia Eagles do in short yardage. Put the QB under center and put three back up linemen in the backfield to just push the pile forward. I always shake my head when I see teams lineup in the shotgun and hand off to a back 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage giving the defense time to bring someone around the end to hit the runner in the backfield. CPJ rarely got stopped with his offense in short yardage because he was either giving it to the B back lined up a yard or two behind the QB or the QB took it himself to whatever gap gave us the biggest advantage.
You need a great center and two really darn good guards to get the low push. Having a QB who is as strong as Hurts, lower body is also needed. Most teams don't have that. Timing is important on the snap as well. Brady was great at sneaks based on his timing of the snap count with the OL.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I do not think a ref would admit to anyone that he or one of his colleagues missed a call and leaned into a subsequent close call to to balance things out.
Of course they wouldn't. It happens in the mind. It isn't documented or talked about. Yes, subconsciously. But I would bet it happens, just from my observation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Of course they wouldn't. It happens in the mind. It isn't documented or talked about. Yes, subconsciously. But I would bet it happens, just from my observation.

I think you should quote my entire comment. I addressed your point.

I do not think a ref would admit to anyone that he or one of his colleagues missed a call and leaned into a subsequent close call to to balance things out. There are too many video cameras with far too many angles to think those calls would stand. If you ask me whether it happens subconsciously I might agree. I ref'd basketball for a number of years. Every call stands on its own. You don't have time to think like that. In football the flag comes out or it doesn't. Late calls will almost always be reviewed.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This offensive line has been by far the most consistent for us in a longggg time. The fact that we don’t notice them in games says a ton. Geep wade has really done well with this group. I actually look forward to watching our offense every game, which is such a change from my eyes bleeding watching the offense the last 4 years…
And we starting a FRESHMAN.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The rules by very nature need to be subjective here, else we'd have refs constantly reviewing to determine if control was established and then held for 1.25 seconds, etc,...
Definitely subjective. Which is why I don’t think any ruling on that particular play could ever be considered the definitive ruling.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not disputing your opinion, but I was unable to see what you are describing in that condensed game video, which didn't include a close-up replay (unless it was presented much later).
Yea, hard to see in that view. I still think the Live version shows the receiver going up with one arm, but very hard to discern. There was a replay angle from behind the players that isn't part of that cut-up nor the ACCDN full-game replay. Someone would have to cut up a recording and .gif it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The key words are “secure” and “control”.
I just rewatched the catch a few times from the viewpoint of the camera in the end zone, stopping the action at the moment of the catch. Singleton “secures” the ball between his forearms as it comes down. It appears that he allows it to slide from the middle of his forearms into his hands as he goes out of bounds, thus the ball movement we see. However, at no time does it appear to me to be a loss of control, such as a bobble. It happens in one smooth movement. So from that perspective, I didn’t see anything warranting an overturn of the call on the field. Caveat: I am using my gold-tinted glasses.:)
this is correct, and is governed by the second half of Rule 3. He had control. It moved, but that does not constitute loss of control.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
  1. Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc., and...
He did. To me, he had control between his arms. As he pulled it to his belly, then ball moved. This DOES NOT constitute loss of control. The refs agreed.

3. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball, even if it touches the ground, will not be considered loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession.