Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we'll ever see a repeat of that. I don't think we'll see the random facemask (that doesn't happen that often), and i don't think Kennard will crackback block anymore, which will take care of the illegal blindside block and the taunting. I figured he layed the guy out and then stood over him. That's the type of taunting I envision happened. No one ever showed it, to my knowledge.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we'll ever see a repeat of that. I don't think we'll see the random facemask (that doesn't happen that often), and i don't think Kennard will crackback block anymore, which will take care of the illegal blindside block and the taunting. I figured he layed the guy out and then stood over him. That's the type of taunting I envision happened. No one ever showed it, to my knowledge.
Agreed on all counts. And yes that’s what happened (was at the game)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It was the one from the recap here (about 30 sec in):

Thanks. interesting angle. It appears that he had the ball in his hands and then it ends up between his forearms. The question would be at what point does he secure it? Hands? Forearms? where are his feet/foot when it gets secured?

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks. interesting angle. It appears that he had the ball in his hands and then it ends up between his forearms. The question would be at what point does he secure it? Hands? Forearms? where are his feet/foot when it gets secured?
I think having the ball between both forearms; simultaneously while on direct opposite sides of the ball would be considered having control.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Something I don't think I've seen mentioned yet - last season it took until game 4/5 for the defense to start working. While I would prefer the defense work from game 1, hopefully it's just taken a few weeks to start gelling and we'll see better production from here on out again.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Something I don't think I've seen mentioned yet - last season it took until game 4/5 for the defense to start working. While I would prefer the defense work from game 1, hopefully it's just taken a few weeks to start gelling and we'll see better production from here on out again.
I'd love to believe that. I just suspect the answer is more one of match-ups and that the WF O line simply wasn't as good as most of the other O lines we had played thusfar.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
From a local ref:

If ball is moving around between the receiver's hands or arms, he doesn't have control. He may eventually have control, but not while the ball is moving.
I didn't see it move. He had it firmly vised between his forearms and his body with a foot down in bounds, and then between his hand and his body after that. His hand moved over the ball, but it never jiggled, bobbled, or was loose in any way. His hand moved down over the ball, but it was being held firm against his body the whole time.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see it move. He had it firmly vised between his forearms and his body with a foot down in bounds, and then between his hand and his body after that. His hand moved over the ball, but it never jiggled, bobbled, or was loose in any way. He held it firm.
TBH, I saw it that same way....but I fail to understand why everyone is arguing about it. It actually baffles me.....

The booth reviews all scoring plays, and they did not stop the game to look more closely at this play. If it were considered close, they would have done so (or should have done so). So, yoiu're left with either (1) the booth reviews guy REALLY screwed up; or (2) his opinion disagreed with yours BIG TIME (since he could have ordered a more in depth review and stopped the game, but he thought it was clearly a TD and did not do that).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
TBH, I saw it that same way....but I fail to understand why everyone is arguing about it. It actually baffles me.....

The booth reviews all scoring plays, and they did not stop the game to look more closely at this play. If it were considered close, they would have done so (or should have done so). So, yoiu're left with either (1) the booth reviews guy REALLY screwed up; or (2) his opinion disagreed with yours BIG TIME (since he could have ordered a more in depth review and stopped the game, but he thought it was clearly a TD and did not do that).
I think had it been called incomplete and reviewed, the call should have been overturned. It was a catch. It was a touchdown.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It seems odd that using your forearms allows someone to have control over a football.
Pinning the ball between your one and chest constitutes control. Between forearms is no different. Once you have control, ball movement alone does not constitute loss of control. The booth ref was satisfied with what he saw, as he didn’t call for a field review. Obviously, in his opinion Singleton has possession with a foot down. From one angle it looked unclear. From the other angle it was less unclear.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Kyle Kennard accounted for over 1/3 of our team’s penalties (4/11).

And I agree that Key needs to deal with that and I am sure he will (especially the taunting), but also Kennard accounted for 50% of the sacks and many of the QB pressures. The pre snap and post snap penalties are more of a problem as they can be prevented.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see it move. He had it firmly vised between his forearms and his body with a foot down in bounds, and then between his hand and his body after that. His hand moved over the ball, but it never jiggled, bobbled, or was loose in any way. His hand moved down over the ball, but it was being held firm against his body the whole time.
It was a very smooth motion catch which greatly helped sell the "control" issue. There was no sign of "struggle" in the catch. This is really not an issue.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
And I agree that Key needs to deal with that and I am sure he will (especially the taunting), but also Kennard accounted for 50% of the sacks and many of the QB pressures. The pre snap and post snap penalties are more of a problem as they can be prevented.
Key specifically mentioned in his presser that he had a meeting with Kyle to discuss this. He also had high praise for Kyle's play in the game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I sent the video link to him he said it's a close call. Not everyone would call it the same way. But he agreed the call should stand.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Often there is nothing wrong with the play call rather the players simply fail to execute their assignments. Sometimes defensive players beat their man one on one.
No doubt.

I'd be concerned if the staff decided to come out and run 3 "take a knee" plays in a row then punt. Then you could blame the coaches. But, I have never seen any team do that except at the end of a game, but of course without the punt.