Game 1 Media #FSUvsGT

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Boyd to start at TE.

Well that does stink was feeling that Seither had basically established himself as Mr. Reliable both receiving and blocking so it's gonna take a combination of kids to sorta out that spot. Avery Boyd has the best overall physical talent to play TE but he has to prove that he can be a adequate blocker. If not they will have to find someone rather that's Rylan Geode, Hawes, Long, or Harpring

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Well that does stink was feeling that Seither had basically established himself as Mr. Reliable both receiving and blocking so it's gonna take a combination of kids to sorta out that spot. Avery Boyd has the best overall physical talent to play TE but he has to prove that he can be a adequate blocker. If not they will have to find someone rather that's Rylan Geode, Hawes, Long, or Harpring

Some random thoughts:

- Boyd is listed as a WR on the current roster.

- He’s also listed at 6’3” 240. Don’t know that I’ve seen many WRs at 240+ at Tech (or anywhere else). Think Calvin was even 235ish at 6’5”. I wonder if he just outgrew WR or if it was planned because he was buried on the depth chart like Haynes was.

- Speaking of Haynes, coaches have a lot of cred with position switches for me right now with JH standing as one of the better RBs in the conference after being an afterthought at WR.

- Doesn’t say much for our TE transfers that we felt the need to switch from within rather than play them.

- Boyd is from Tallahassee. Game on.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Some random thoughts:

- He’s also listed at 6’3” 240. Don’t know that I’ve seen many WRs at 240+ at Tech (or anywhere else). Think Calvin was even 235ish at 6’5”. I wonder if he just outgrew WR or if it was planned because he was buried on the depth chart like Haynes was.

- Speaking of Haynes, coaches have a lot of cred with position switches for me right now with JH standing as one of the better RBs in the conference after being an afterthought at WR.

- Doesn’t say much for our TE transfers that we felt the need to switch from within rather than play them.

The third point actually isn't a knock. We would have only had 2 TE's on the roster and Boyd is a monster. We often go 21 personnel in run heavy sets so it really doesn't mean anything. Boyd may just be a better choice to split out while the other TE's are better choices for close run formations.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Anyone catch that major press conference before the opening game with no sound? Me too. That was so fun.

Tech having the same mistakes and technical difficulties over and over over, season after season after season is really maddening. I swear we do our best to do the worst job possible with the simplest things 😭😭

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Some random thoughts:

Based on recent coach's remarks Boyd has been practicing some TE last season and this season. He should have been a TE all along. He can already run and catch. He needs to learn the TE playbook (probably already has) and the pre-snap motions and formations. No reason why he cannot learn to be an effective blocker. Hate to lose Seither but the pass game is a wash and the run game with Boyd TBD. This probably means we see more of Hawes/Goede and Harpring.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Some random thoughts:

I think on your 4th point, it's more about us having really good 3-deep WRs, so they wanted to give Boyd another path to the field.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Really feels like Boyd is either more of an offensive weapon that has to be listed somewhere or a secret weapon who's been crushing it at tight end in camp without the word getting out. Either way, he has the potential to be a matchup nightmare.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer