• GT by 7-13

Votes: 42 25.9%
  • GT by 14+

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Dickey is who Dodd had picked to succeed him at Tech, IIRC. The board over ruled him and chose Carson. Dickey was a good coach. Just couldn’t quite get over the hump at UT or UF.
"good coach"? Tell that to the Florida fans of a certain generation. They despised him to a degree that is, well, actually worse than Bill Lewis for Tech fans. On the other hand, he would have probably done just fine at Tech but given the finances and state of the program in 1967 he probably dodged a bullet.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"good coach"? Tell that to the Florida fans of a certain generation. They despised him to a degree that is, well, actually worse than Bill Lewis for Tech fans. On the other hand, he would have probably done just fine at Tech but given the finances and state of the program in 1967 he probably dodged a bullet.
Following Dodd in a program that needed a major facilities update, and which was no longer a dominant recruiting school, plus some of the hardest scheduling in history, was going to be tough for anyone. Always wondered who the best choice would have been.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
This is how it’s gonna go. We’ll score early. 7-0. Then FSU gets 17 pts before half. 17-7 at the half. We score on the opening drive of the second half. 17-14. We score with 1:52 on the clock 4th quarter. Defense stops them to win the game 21-20

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Saw somewhere GT is a record 0-5 in college gameday games... so we're due. I think we come out hot and get a quick lead and struggle to hold on to it late in the game but end up with a close W.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Dickey compiled a 104-58-6 record at UT and UF. He had two losing seasons at UF out of 9. He won two SEC championships at UT (1967 and 69) and is in both UT and UF HoF. UF fans are some of the more delusional that I have met, TBH.

Last edited:

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw somewhere GT is a record 0-5 in college gameday games... so we're due. I think we come out hot and get a quick lead and struggle to hold on to it late in the game but end up with a close W.

You are correct. Unfortunately we hold notoriety for the team with the most college GameDay appearances without a win.

In fairness to GT, we were robbed in 2006 against ND by a bogus personal foul call and the 2019 game against Clempson should have never qualified as a college GameDay game (we were a five TD underdog to Clempson).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. Strength up the middle.
Can our CGC be strong enough and coordinated enough to almost always keep clean pocket for 5 seconds so King has exit or can step into throw? I belive they will.
2. In our second year can our very good Qb, OC, Qb coach improve our predicted end of season finish as much as we improved last year? King was picked near bottom but finished near top. Offense and Qb did what it took and never quit. Coach Key and I believe in King as our leader. Crazy fun guy at Wrek Talk says King will run for 150. I believe King's escaping pocket to pass and run will happen. It is our biggest improvement. King is going to win.
3. WHAT makes this the plan work so much better this year? It's speed and talent on the edge that has been kept under wraps until TML. Only oc knows what adding kings long tile buddy Lane and adding tall and Blackburn ( who has "flashed" even in 1 verse 1 practice where D knows the plays). This talent will open up many passing lanes. King will throw for 300 yds.
4. Key will kept pedal to the medal, bring LB safeties on run blitz to make U try to keep up. No sit and wait or bend and not break till we are 3 scores ahead and have a run game. I think we break U.
5. Our FG kicker is good. We will get points on almost every drive. 2 for 2

6 The Prez to the equipment guys has one goal. They want play football at such an improved level that "they" are the focus whenever the 100-0 ND UGA is mentioned. They want to be the gt brand. Coach Key will never stop pushing for improvement.

GT 42- FSU 24.
Then they go on a winning streak. We have lots of wins, get help and see them in Charlotte.
To quote King's dad. We came here to win championship.

Last edited:

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I like your analysis. The big surprise coming is that we have a salty DL that has salty depth. All those veteran FSU OL have been held out in much of their scrimmages , but 3 of the 5 were listed "questionable" on their injury report. One of the media guys on Wake UP Warchant rated FSU's 2023 OL a 5.5 (out of 10). The center and both tackles return. The two transfer guards weren't elite players either according to this analyst. We WILL WIN OUR DEFENSIVE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. Jackets 30 Seminoles 13.
I think this year our DL is better from a talent perspective, with the transfers and return from injury. HOWEVER, I think the real difference is coaching. I'm optimistic that our new defensive coaches can dramatically improve the existing defense, absent any overall changes in talent. So I think we're going to surprise some people on that side of the ball. I'm not saying we're going to hold them scoreless, but I don't think the defense is going to be the liability it was at times last year.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
1. Strength up the middle.
Can our CGC be strong enough and coordinated enough to almost always keep clean pocket for 5 seconds so King has exit or can step into throw? I belive they will.
2. In our second year can our very good Qb, OC, Qb coach improve our predicted end of season finish as much as we improved last year? King was picked near bottom but finished near top. Offense and Qb did what it took and never quit. Coach Key and I believe in King as our leader. Crazy fun guy at Wrek Talk says King will run for 150. I believe King's escaping pocket to pass and run will happen. It is our biggest improvement. King is going to win.
3. WHAT makes this the plan work so much better this year? It's speed and talent on the edge that has been kept under wraps until TML. Only oc knows what adding kings long tile buddy Lane and adding tall and Blackburn ( who has "flashed" even in 1 verse 1 practice where D knows the plays). This talent will open up many passing lanes. King will throw for 300 yds.
4. Key will kept pedal to the medal, bring LB safeties on run blitz to make U try to keep up. No sit and wait or bend and not break till we are 3 scores ahead and have a run game. I think we break U.
5. Our FG kicker is good. We will get points on almost every drive. 2 for 2

6 The Prez to the equipment guys has one goal. They want play football at such an improved level that "they" are the focus whenever the 100-0 ND UGA is mentioned. They want to be the gt brand. Coach Key will never stop pushing for improvement.

GT 42- FSU 24.
Then they go on a winning streak. We have lots of wins, get help and see them in Charlotte.
To quote King's dad. We came here to win championship.
Do we want King to run for a buck fifty? He’s a tough young man, but we do not need him to get injured.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is how it’s gonna go. We’ll score early. 7-0. Then FSU gets 17 pts before half. 17-7 at the half. We score on the opening drive of the second half. 17-14. We score with 1:52 on the clock 4th quarter. Defense stops them to win the game 21-20
I need more detail I could only drink half a beer reading this (use 5000 words) that would let me finish these 6 beers

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do we want King to run for a buck fifty? He’s a tough young man, but we do not need him to get injured.
I had him at plus 100 yds in this one because its, so important.
100 rush plus 300 passing by King is my hope. The other RB need 100 so we announce 500 yds is our standard.

We need to be a passing team to or by end of year we will be beat down.

The crazy comedy guy on WREK Talk said 150.

Oh on final score ad 3 to our 7 tds. We get to 45!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Dickey compiled a 104-58-6 record at UT and UF. He had two losing seasons at UF out of 9. He won two SEC championships at UT (1967 and 69) and is in both UT and UF HoF. UF fans are some of the more delusional that I have met, TBH.
I am telling you that they hated him especially his last year in 1978 when he won 4 games with a roster loaded with NFL talent including a first rounder. He was replaced by Charley Pell who completely turned that program around in no time worth mentioning although the Gators only won one game the next year.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am telling you that they hated him especially his last year in 1978 when he won 4 games with a roster loaded with NFL talent including a first rounder. He was replaced by Charley Pell who completely turned that program around in no time worth mentioning although the Gators only won one game the next year.
I am not suggesting they didn’t hate Dickey. I am saying they are a bit delusional. Pell did well at both Clemson and UF, but got them both put on probation… 59 violations at UF alone.

Further, Pell’s record at UF was 33-26-3 (.556). Dickey’s at UF was 48-43-2 (.527). Pretty close, with no probation for Dickey. When Dickey left UF, UT hired him back as AD. Pell never coached again.

Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Following Dodd in a program that needed a major facilities update, and which was no longer a dominant recruiting school, plus some of the hardest scheduling in history, was going to be tough for anyone. Always wondered who the best choice would have been.
It did not matter. Whoever followed Dodd was going to run into the dreaded following the legend death trap. Carson couldn't do it. Bowden Wyatt couldn't do it. Ray Perkins could not do it. Ron Zook could not do it. Doug Barfield could not do it. You never want to be the guy following the legend...you want to be the one following the failure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am not suggesting they didn’t hate Dickey. I am saying they are a bit delusional. Pell got them put on probation, too.
Well, no argument for me on that one. The old joke was that the perfect season for Florida fans was to go 11-0, beat Notre Dame 50-0 in the Orange Bowl and fire the coach under goal posts after the game. When Pell went to Clemson, South Carolina fans said that IPTAY had a new meaning: "Its Probation Time Again Ya'll"

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Well, no argument for me on that one. The old joke was that the perfect season for Florida fans was to go 11-0, beat Notre Dame 50-0 in the Orange Bowl and fire the coach under goal posts after the game. When Pell went to Clemson, South Carolina fans said that IPTAY had a new meaning: "Its Probation Time Again Ya'll"
I edited the post you replied to with some facts about both. IMPO, Dickey was a good coach, who had learned under Frank Broyles at Arkansas, and who finished well with two HOF inductions. Pell was a scab on the butt of college football.

I was in Columbia during Danny Ford’s time and remember the IPTAY thing well.