Ga Tech at UVA - 730PM

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What's the easiest way to get Armstrong hung over and lost before kickoff?

It's UVA, so....

1634567681735.jpeg

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Tragically for you guys, we've got a teetotaler coaching staff, and they have recruited a LOT of mormons. He wouldn't let our players attend Foxfield (imagine every single stereotype about UVa you can imagine, and then imagine they're all true, at the same time, on the same weekend), and I'm guessing there's not much of a drinking culture for the pigskin hoos.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Tragically for you guys, we've got a teetotaler coaching staff, and they have recruited a LOT of mormons. He wouldn't let our players attend Foxfield (imagine every single stereotype about UVa you can imagine, and then imagine they're all true, at the same time, on the same weekend), and I'm guessing there's not much of a drinking culture for the pigskin hoos.
Thanks for telling us how NOT to do it.

Now can you please answer @slugboy's question? Geez. Sounds like we're left with kidnapping, but I hate making assumptions.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
@ilovetheoption, 3 questions....how good is your QB vs. Pickett or Howell? If you were defending your O, how would yo go about that? Conversely, how would you attack your D? I will hang up and listen. thanks for taking questions.
  1. He's good, but he's not as good as Pickett. Pickett's the real deal, IMO. That dude'll be playing on Sundays. Howell? I mean, which Howell are we talking? The guy who played us, or the guy who played you? Armstrong has a lower ceiling than howell but a higher floor. he hasn't played one crappy game this year.
  2. Pressure pressure pressure, and catch interceptions. As I said, Armstrong is good, BUT
    1. We have no run game to speak of. We don't really even try. (Think of us as a Big 12 team)
    2. He gets a little loosey goosey with the ball. His TD/INT ratio is 19/6, but it could EASILY be 11 or 12 picks, as he's thrown some right through the hands of DB's. He's actually got AWFUL mechanics as a passer (wait until you see, you'd say he throws like a girl if he didn't have a cannon), and because our entire offense consists of "Drop back and try to find one of our big, strong WR's" he often finds himself running around trying to make something happen, and tossing it up for grabs because our guys are more likely to come up with it than other guys. There will be opportunities for Turnovers. You juyst can't let him sit in the pocket and deal, because he's good enough to do that, and our WRs/TE's are big enough to make you pay
  3. However you want. We suck on defense. We're slow and we don't have playmakers. Honestly, I'd cram it right now our throats. It's dangerous because if you don't score early, we can get ahead of you and put a ton of pressure on you, but we're there to be run on, if you've got the jimmies and joes.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for telling us how NOT to do it.

Now can you please answer @slugboy's question? Geez. Sounds like we're left with kidnapping, but I hate making assumptions.

Well, this is what he looks like:
8676099.jpg

With that knowledge in play, I'd say your best bets are Guinness or maybe some Whiskey (or, if you're looking to do it on the cheap, a few grenade bottles of Mickeys)

slugboy

Staff member
  1. He's good, but he's not as good as Pickett. Pickett's the real deal, IMO. That dude'll be playing on Sundays. Howell? I mean, which Howell are we talking? The guy who played us, or the guy who played you? Armstrong has a lower ceiling than howell but a higher floor. he hasn't played one crappy game this year.
  2. Pressure pressure pressure, and catch interceptions. As I said, Armstrong is good, BUT
    1. We have no run game to speak of. We don't really even try. (Think of us as a Big 12 team)
    2. He gets a little loosey goosey with the ball. His TD/INT ratio is 19/6, but it could EASILY be 11 or 12 picks, as he's thrown some right through the hands of DB's. He's actually got AWFUL mechanics as a passer (wait until you see, you'd say he throws like a girl if he didn't have a cannon), and because our entire offense consists of "Drop back and try to find one of our big, strong WR's" he often finds himself running around trying to make something happen, and tossing it up for grabs because our guys are more likely to come up with it than other guys. There will be opportunities for Turnovers. You juyst can't let him sit in the pocket and deal, because he's good enough to do that, and our WRs/TE's are big enough to make you pay
  3. However you want. We suck on defense. We're slow and we don't have playmakers. Honestly, I'd cram it right now our throats. It's dangerous because if you don't score early, we can get ahead of you and put a ton of pressure on you, but we're there to be run on, if you've got the jimmies and joes.
Yeah, we don't play well from behind; we press instead of sticking to our guns and waiting for our opponents to screw up. I think youth is a part of that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
On the contrary, that is precisely what I meant. We can and should score points, perhaps a lot of points but that is not the game we want. Ideally, we need to have a game in the twenties. Again, I say we do not want a track meet with both teams going up and down the field. Eventually, we will feel the pressure of trying to score on every possession to our detriment.
Upon further review, as they say on TV, I watched the Louisville - UVA game from a few weeks ago. Louisville has given us the template on how to beat this team. At the end of the third quarter, Louisville was ahead 30-13 and seemed comfortably ahead. How did they do this? By running the ball and remarkably it was with a two tight end set with one of them in the backfield as a blocking back. Just plain power I with a pulling guard. They ran that play over and over again with Malik occasionally pulling the ball and scooting off in the opposite direction or throwing to a receiver. Unfortunately, for the Cardinals they had used up all their luck and turnovers in building that lead. The critical play early in the fourth quarter came on a 3rd and short play which the Malik, the Cardinal quarterback, pulled the ball dropped back and heaved a long pass to a receiver who had done a deep post. It was a beautiful pass but the receiver had to stretch for it in traffic and did not catch it. UVA as they are wont to do, scored 21 points in the final quarter with Armstrong winging passes all over the field while Louisville only managed a field goal. UVA scored its final touchdown with about a minute to go and survived a last second field goal attempt for the win. Armstrong completed something like 40 of 60 for over 400 yards passing. It's a wonder his arm has not fallen off. Maybe it will this week.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I went to Foxfield once. It is unquestionably an excuse to party. :)

slugboy

Staff member
Upon further review, as they say on TV, I watched the Louisville - UVA game from a few weeks ago. Louisville has given us the template on how to beat this team. At the end of the third quarter, Louisville was ahead 30-13 and seemed comfortably ahead. How did they do this? By running the ball and remarkably it was with a two tight end set with one of them in the backfield as a blocking back. Just plain power I with a pulling guard. They ran that play over and over again with Malik occasionally pulling the ball and scooting off in the opposite direction or throwing to a receiver. Unfortunately, for the Cardinals they had used up all their luck and turnovers in building that lead. The critical play early in the fourth quarter came on a 3rd and short play which the Malik, the Cardinal quarterback, pulled the ball dropped back and heaved a long pass to a receiver who had done a deep post. It was a beautiful pass but the receiver had to stretch for it in traffic and did not catch it. UVA as they are wont to do, scored 21 points in the final quarter with Armstrong winging passes all over the field while Louisville only managed a field goal. UVA scored its final touchdown with about a minute to go and survived a last second field goal attempt for the win. Armstrong completed something like 40 of 60 for over 400 yards passing. It's a wonder his arm has not fallen off. Maybe it will this week.
I’d like to see us use an H back or a blocking back. Our RBs have been blocking better than our TEs, when I’d hope the TEs would at least be even

ETA: In a world where the TEs were making a lot of blocks and catching a healthy number of passes, you could see some 2 or even 3 TE formations (1 or 2 RB, 1-3 TEs), but we might be better off with 2 RBs and fewer TEs. We've had blocking issues the last two games, and it's critical that the TEs block effectively if we're going to use them.

Last edited:

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In regards to 2.2 here, I would hope Zamari Walton has a big day this weekend. He's a big CB that could challenge those toss up with big WR's. Would be a mistake to rely on a jump ball against him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Perfect. My impressions exactly after watching both the UNC game, and the Louisville game. You did not mention some good receivers, like the big all purpose ex-quarterback Thompson(?), the two really fast wideouts, one of whom just ate Louisville up (Henry?) and the little short guy who is everywhere (Kemp?) plus that huge tight end that caught the touchdown pass in the fourth quarter. Also, UVA has much better pass blocking from their line than does UNC. Armstrong is not the athlete that Pickett and Howell are but he is an outstanding quarterback. Down 17 points in the fourth quarter against Louisville and he is cool as a cucumber.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to see us use an H back or a blocking back. Our RBs have been blocking better than our TEs, when I’d hope the TEs would at least be even
The tight ends don't catch passes and don't seem to block all that well. I don't know if that option is really open to us. It's bad enough having one of them on the field, put two of them in there and the offense will grind to a halt.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
In regards to 2.2 here, I would hope Zamari Walton has a big day this weekend. He's a big CB that could challenge those toss up with big WR's. Would be a mistake to rely on a jump ball against him.
They have two of them that are long and can run pretty well. Thompson (?) is a guy they use in all kinds of clever ways as a former high school quarterback. UVA uses a lot of formations and likes to swing Kemp, the short receiver, in motion as eye candy a lot. Coach Thacker is going to earn his money this week.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
No. This is just my opinion but when Duke lost their game with us through a mix of bad coaching decisions and a foolish holding penalty that was it for them. Stick a fork in them they were already done by the time they played UVA. The week off could not have come at a better time for us. On the other hand, the Charlottesville House of Horrors is, unfortunately, very much a reality with Tech. This game will be decided, again in my opinion, by two main factors: Pressure by Tech on the UVA quarterback is a must. Keep in mind though that they have no running game worth mentioning and they have an experienced, tough, offensive line that is outstanding in pass blocking. No other team on our schedule, not even UNC, is as one dimensional as the Cavs. The other main factor is Tech's running game. We must run the football, limit their possessions, and score TDs. Field goals mean nothing in this game. Multiple three and outs will turn this game into a track meet as they are averaging over 500 yards a game in total offense. We can beat this team in a football game but not in a track meet.
Wow. We havent been very good for the most part at either (actually three things) that are your keys.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Per OddsShark,
UVA -7
Over/Under: 61

For those looking at other games,
Pitt over Clem by 3.5, OU = 41 (people not expecting Clemson to score, I guess). VT over Cuse by 3.5, OU = 46. Louisville over BC by 6.5, OU = 57. Bama over Tenn by NaN; OU = StackOverflow Core Dump.
Clemson has not scored more than 19 points in regulation against FBS this season. Pitt's defense is probably the 2nd best they'll play all year. The question will be: can Pitt score on Clemson. I think they can.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
They have two of them that are long and can run pretty well. Thompson (?) is a guy they use in all kinds of clever ways as a former high school quarterback. UVA uses a lot of formations and likes to swing Kemp, the short receiver, in motion as eye candy a lot. Coach Thacker is going to earn his money this week.
Is he #99? I noticed him when i watched UVA vs. Miami, He’s a tall dude but a deceptively hard to tackle it seems

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

ETA: In a world where the TEs were making a lot of blocks and catching a healthy number of passes, you could see some 2 or even 3 TE formations (1 or 2 RB, 1-3 TEs), but we might be better off with 2 RBs and fewer TEs. We've had blocking issues the last two games, and it's critical that the TEs block effectively if we're going to use them.
Would be cool to see us come out under center with Gibbs or Dontae Smith at RB, Jordon Mason at FB and use an extra tackle at TE, you could do some B-back hand-offs and mid-line stuff with Mason too