Future Opponents: Bama and Ga State

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm delighted to see Alabama on the schedule. So much history in that series.

Personally, I don't see any advantage in scheduling Ga Southern, KSU, GSU or similar programs. All it does is legitimize them within the state, our primary recruiting grounds. And it does little or nothing for GT recruiting.

There was a time when football in Georgia meant Georgia Tech. Then, we left the SEC and ceded the state to UGA(g). Now, we are legitimizing downscale schools. What's next? Marist?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm delighted to see Alabama on the schedule. So much history in that series.

Personally, I don't see any advantage in scheduling Ga Southern, KSU, GSU or similar programs. All it does is legitimize them within the state, our primary recruiting grounds. And it does little or nothing for GT recruiting.

There was a time when football in Georgia meant Georgia Tech. Then, we left the SEC and ceded the state to UGA(g). Now, we are legitimizing downscale schools. What's next? Marist?
:rolleyes:

You guys are overreacting waayyyy too much about this series “legitimizing” them as a program. If you want to say that, then Alabama, Georgia, and Notre Dame are legitimizing Tech as a program. What benefit does Georgia get out of playing Tech every year? The series hasn’t been even been remotely close since the 50s. In the entire history of the series Tech has “won” only 3 decades. The 1900s, the 1920s (when only 5 games were played), and the 1950s. Tech hasn’t won 4 games in a single decade since the 60s, and are 4-16 over the last 20. So what does Georgia get out of the game? Bragging rights, and an opportunity to show everyone that Tech can’t compete with them. So why can’t Tech do the same with State?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
:rolleyes:

You guys are overreacting waayyyy too much about this series “legitimizing” them as a program. If you want to say that, then Alabama, Georgia, and Notre Dame are legitimizing Tech as a program. What benefit does Georgia get out of playing Tech every year? The series hasn’t been even been remotely close since the 50s. In the entire history of the series Tech has “won” only 3 decades. The 1900s, the 1920s (when only 5 games were played), and the 1950s. Tech hasn’t won 4 games in a single decade since the 60s, and are 4-16 over the last 20. So what does Georgia get out of the game? Bragging rights, and an opportunity to show everyone that Tech can’t compete with them. So why can’t Tech do the same with State?

Georgia Tech won two (2) national championships before Alabama won its first. If GA State is the new normal and we’re justifying playing them vs Auburn, Bama and other regional rivals ... its over.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I remember Kennesaw State running us out of the gym in basketball and it certainly legitimized that program.
Really? Because Kennesaw hasn’t had a single winning season since beating Tech. Did Georgia Southern beating Florida legitimize them? Did USF beating Georgia Tech legitimize them? UCF beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl, and people found excuses to DE-legitimize them, and they were undefeated. Louisiana Monroe beat Alabama in Saban’s first year. Did that legitimize them? If Tech were to somehow lose to Georgia State, it would be a big deal for a couple of weeks, and State and UGAg fans might run their mouth, but it would basically be a non issue in terms of recruiting and “legitimizing” GSU.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech won two (2) national championships before Alabama won its first. If GA State is the new normal and we’re justifying playing them vs Auburn, Bama and other regional rivals ... its over.

I don’t get this argument. Clemson was in the national championship this year. They played Charlotte and Furman. I don’t care where those games were. LSU won the national championship, on the way, they played Ga Southern and whatever NW State is. Again, who cares where it was played. Obviously, if you win, you get in.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get this argument. Clemson was in the national championship this year. They played Charlotte and Furman. I don’t care where those games were. LSU won the national championship, on the way, they played Ga Southern and whatever NW State is. Again, who cares where it was played. Obviously, if you win, you get in.

Let me clarify that I think playing games on a larger stage against higher tier opponents is better for the programs awareness/marketing. That being said, the goal is getting to the playoffs (at some point) and the committee doesn’t care how you get there.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Okay, and that was before the Civil Rights Act. That basically holds no ground in terms of perception today. Tech hasn’t played Bama in 40 years. Most Bama fans today probably aren’t even aware they even had a rivalry with Tech. They probably don’t even know what the “send the yellow jackets to their watery grave” line in their fight song means. Hell, I didn’t grow up a Tech fan, and had no idea the Alabama-Tech rivalry existed until I dug into Tech’s athletic history once I decided GT was where I wanted to go. Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Army all won multiple national championships before Alabama won their first. Does that mean anything in today’s college football landscape? No.

Also, I’m not trying to justify playing GSU over Alabama or Auburn regularly. I’ve been on record saying I wish Tech had another rotating SEC game against a past rival every year. All I’m trying to say is that the GT-GSU series is no different than the situation with COFH right now. Georgia plays Tech because they want to prove how much better they are than us. I asked why Tech can’t do the same? My statement was that if you want to imply playing GSU is legitimizing them, then you could easily say COFH and Alabama are legitimizing Tech.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
meant the lsu and texas games are at reliant stadium. not at Rice

Rice owns the TV rights, gets the gate, etc so it’s a home game but the NFL stadium has more suites, etc to sell.

To go back to the same example, in its history, Rice has more P5 wins than any non-AAC G5 school (I think SMU and Navy have more).

But ultimately, after we got left behind from the SWC, things went downhill. In modern day CFB, it’s ultimately impossible for G5 schools to “catch-up” to the P5 without a TCU-like rebound. And that’s with an endowment/student (at Rice) virtually unparalleled outside the Ivy/NESCAC (not to mention the prestige differences between Rice and GaSt). I think some in this thread underestimate the “incumbency advantage” that GT has over GSU.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
[QUOTE="Personally, I don't see any advantage in scheduling Ga Southern, KSU, GSU or similar programs. All it does is legitimize them within the state, our primary recruiting grounds. And it does little or nothing for GT recruiting.

There was a time when football in Georgia meant Georgia Tech. Then, we left the SEC and ceded the state to UGA(g). Now, we are legitimizing downscale schools. What's next? Marist?[/QUOTE]

So what data do you have to back up this opinion? Or is this just one of those opinions that comes from emotion and you pulled it out of your rear? Because if you have data to somehow quantify and support your statement I'd love to see it.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you think bama would ever schedule an AWAY game at uab? LSU @ Southern U? FSU @ aFm? Clemson @ Furman?

They wouldn’t. No self respecting P5 would schedule an AWAY game vs a G5 in, basically, their own city. Why? Because it is stupid. And to a great degree, GT is run by stupid people in many areas. We claim academic superiority but are often not smart enough to get out of the rain when we don’t want to get wet.

I assume you know who Whach Hyder was? His last game as H.C. at GT was played AT gsu in a little dink of a gym on Decatur street (I believe). GT lost. I was there. Most embarrassing moment in GT sports I have personally witnessed. Surpassed, in embarrassment terms, the crowd of 17 k at the navy game under curry. Even surpassed the 2 abortions curry put up vs Furman.

Coach Bobby Cremins played gsu a few times during his first few years here. All at GT. He saw that there was nothing to help our program grow from this. He started scheduling tougher OOC teams in addition to the then tough ACC schedule. He saw what Bobby Bowden had done at fsu to build a program as regards scheduling.

NONE of the winning programs worried about the stupid cost of ONE AWAY GAME at a tough opponents place as a reason to schedule in such a stupid manner.
you are so wrong. outside of the top 1% most P5 schools play road games at G5 schools. Was it this big of a deal when Tech went to USF???

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="Personally, I don't see any advantage in scheduling Ga Southern, KSU, GSU or similar programs. All it does is legitimize them within the state, our primary recruiting grounds. And it does little or nothing for GT recruiting.

So what data do you have to back up this opinion? Or is this just one of those opinions that comes from emotion and you pulled it out of your rear? Because if you have data to somehow quantify and support your statement I'd love to see it.[/QUOTE]

Georgia is one of the Top 5 recruiting states in the country. Do you want me to send you a link?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

We are scheduling Alabama, but two OOC P-5's a year seems enough. I also would like to play our old SEC foes, but I wonder how tough our schedule should be.
Honest question, because I would like your opinion - How many regional rivals should we schedule every year OOC? There are four slots, one taken up by Georgia and one by Notre Dame every two to three years. How many others do you think we should schedule?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We are scheduling Alabama, but two OOC P-5's a year seems enough. I also would like to play our old SEC foes, but I wonder how tough our schedule should be.
Honest question, because I would like your opinion - How many regional rivals should we schedule every year OOC? There are four slots, one taken up by Georgia and one by Notre Dame every two to three years. How many others do you think we should schedule?

As many as possible.

Think like a prospective recruit. The buying process goes something like this:

Awareness: Do I know the school, the conference, the schedule?
Familiarity: Do I understand what they offer? The reputation? The coaches?
Consideration: Are they one of the X schools I would consider playing for?
Trial: Would I visit and apply?
Reward: Are they glad to have me and did I make a good decision?

I speak to football players all the time. Several are in classes and I ask them who they considered. Almost universally, it’s 4 SEC schools. We see them, we play them, we know them. Friends and relatives played there.

Tech, to recruit, has to excel at Awareness, Familiarity and Consideration in the top recruiting areas consistently. Tech is not relevant in Alabama (they used to be) nor West Georgia (they used to be). Kids here don’t care about playing Carolina schools ... they want to play their friends, against the best programs, and in front of their parents.

We aren’t leaving the ACC. But I’d drop Alcorn, Gardner Webb and those schools and play where it raises our profile so that a kid can say, “I see myself playing there.”

If I asked a kid here if he’s considered GT, I may as well asked him if he considered Holy Cross. Our scheduling has reduced our profile and along with the TO, hit the consideration set.

So to answer your question, I’d play 2 strong OOC opponents (UGA + 1 National program) and the other two should be regional for awareness ... Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.