Future Opponents: Bama and Ga State

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Hate to burst anybody’s bubble but if you think GA Tech is above playing @GA St, my other alma mater, Rice (a smaller school than GA St), is hosting/has hosted in the last three and next three seasons, Baylor, Wake, Texas, and LSU.

If LSU can play @Rice, then GT can play @GASt.
Those games weren’t at Rice. They were at Reliant Stadium

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I hate the idea of stooping to play in their rinky dink stadium. The closest comparison I can find is Miami played away at FIU this year, but they played in Marlins Park, not FIU's 20k stadium.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
GT may never be ranked No. 1 in football again, but we sure do rank No. 1 in whiniest fan base.
People on here complain about everything.

Others might say also that some will accept anything because no GT administrators could ever be wrong about anything. That GT men have acted in such a brilliant way for the past 56 years that we always sell out and are awash with cash.

Just sayin.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT may never be ranked No. 1 in football again, but we sure do rank No. 1 in whiniest fan base.
People on here complain about everything.

If you want to appreciate CGC's getting a top 25 recruiting class, keep in the mind our staff probably had to recruit against our own fans crappy attitudes. We are our own worst enemies a lot of times.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’ve thought about it some more, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I love the H&H with GSU. It adds so much more anticipation and excitement than a regular G5 OOC game would. Regardless of whether or not it helps GSU recruit, Tech should be consistently pulling top 25 classes by then and it won’t matter. You want to claim you own Atlanta? Beat the other team in the city. Go to their own stadium, fill it with your fans, and beat them there. It’s literally the same mentality that Georgia has with Tech. If you stripped the history away from COFH, and just saw where UGAg had scheduled a H&H with Tech, the arguments against it on their side would be damn near identical to the arguments you guys are having against GSU. Smaller stadium, smaller fan base, not recruiting the same players, legitimizing their program, high risk-low reward, etc. Tech should destroy State, just like Georgia should destroy Tech in the current states of the programs. You want to stop the jokes about State being the 2nd best team in the state? Beat em. You want to have a legitimate claim to the city’s ownership? Beat em. Want to claim the entire state of Georgia? Beat Georgia.

Hell, honestly I wouldn’t be opposed to making Ga. State an annual game. Somehow get UGAg to schedule Southern annually, and we’ll find out who really runs this state. Obviously neither of those scenarios will probably happen, but it would be fun if it did.

I also wanted to drop this here. It’s a list compiled by a Southern fan of P5 teams playing on the road at G5 stadiums. There’s some schools very comparable to Tech on this list.

Notable omissions are:
  • Oklahoma State (ranked #11 at the time) at South Alabama
  • Missouri at Wyoming
  • Stanford at UCF
I saw earlier in this thread someone say elite programs don’t play G5 teams on the road. Well, I hate to break it to you, but Tech isn’t elite.... yet. Besides, there’s probably only 10-15 teams in the country that have a legitimate claim of being “elite”. But this list just goes to show it’s not uncommon for above average, to very good teams to play G5 teams on the road.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I saw earlier in this thread someone say elite programs don’t play G5 teams on the road. Well, I hate to break it to you, but Tech isn’t elite.... yet.
I think we have a clue on that one. We couldn't even beat the Citadel this year. However, our head football coach has been preaching since day 1, GT football will be playing at an elite level. There has been a lot of money involved and buy in by Tech fans. In six years that should be the standard.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hate to break it to you, but Tech isn’t elite....

OIP.R6LQ9HOud2POjNOxAVopIwHaHa
but I thought CGC said ………...……..

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
And why are we worrying about losing to ga state? Never makes any sense to me. Do we worry year in and year out about losing ALL our games? No. It's just pathetic to go into a game worrying about losing. That, ladies and gentlemen, is called a losers mentality. There is alot of it floating around here.

We FANatics should go into each game, regardless or who or where it is played, with the mindset that we will win. Seemed to work well for Bowden, Schnellenberger and others. I'm not comparing Collins to those guys in all aspects, but the one thing that is the same is the "show no fear" mentality.
As a GSU grad I asked why GT hadn't scheduled them yet, and I thought it would be a great match-up for an all Atlanta perspective, and all the people on here told me I was an idiot, and that it is a lose lose for GT because if they win, its a game they should have won, and if they lose they look like $hit.

Not sure how the outcome of the game is any worse than USF/Citadel/Temple etc... but i guess since they are in GT's back yard it makes he thought of losing scarier.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I kind of agree, but it appears that UNC and Vandy have also scheduled home and homes against them. Not quite sure how they are getting power 5 opponents to do this.
They play in a good G5 conference, and have been to a bowl 3 out of the last 5 years, and it also gives some P5 schools another chance to play in GA where there is more talent than their states.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
There’s no sense in playing at a 24k stadium. No sense at all

No, there is sense in it. If GSU was only going to play at GT, then we’d have to pay them a ton of money since we wouldn’t be returning the favor. We would get an extra home game out of that and could make up for that cost in ticket sales. Problem is, have you seen the attendance at Tech games,m? We aren’t making up the costs of the buy games with ticket sale revenue unfortunately. Bobby Dodd has been dead for years, with the exception of Clemson and UGA games.

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
I love the Georgia State home and home. Very cool idea. ATL vs ATL matchup will generate buzz for both teams, it's a fun storyline for ESPN, etc. to cover. It doesn't hurt our program to play at their stadium.