Future Opponents: Bama and Ga State

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
As many as possible.

Think like a prospective recruit. The buying process goes something like this:

Awareness: Do I know the school, the conference, the schedule?
Familiarity: Do I understand what they offer? The reputation? The coaches?
Consideration: Are they one of the X schools I would consider playing for?
Trial: Would I visit and apply?
Reward: Are they glad to have me and did I make a good decision?

I speak to football players all the time. Several are in classes and I ask them who they considered. Almost universally, it’s 4 SEC schools. We see them, we play them, we know them. Friends and relatives played there.

Tech, to recruit, has to excel at Awareness, Familiarity and Consideration in the top recruiting areas consistently. Tech is not relevant in Alabama (they used to be) nor West Georgia (they used to be). Kids here don’t care about playing Carolina schools ... they want to play their friends, against the best programs, and in front of their parents.

We aren’t leaving the ACC. But I’d drop Alcorn, Gardner Webb and those schools and play where it raises our profile so that a kid can say, “I see myself playing there.”

If I asked a kid here if he’s considered GT, I may as well asked him if he considered Holy Cross. Our scheduling has reduced our profile and along with the TO, hit the consideration set.

So to answer your question, I’d play 2 strong OOC opponents (UGA + 1 National program) and the other two should be regional for awareness ... Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.
So you want to play the toughest schedule in football every single year? No one in their right mind would schedule 12 P5 games, especially with at least 2-3 CFP contenders on it, unless they were okay with going 6-6 every year. LSU played 15 games this year and was by far the best team in the country, and they only scheduled 9 P5 teams. By the end of the year they had only played 12. Scheduling 12 is insane if you ever want to compete nationally. What good does playing regional teams do if you only win 6 games a year? I’m sure a lot of recruits know Vandy plays UT, UGA, UF every year, why don’t they go there? Arkansas and MS State play AU, Bama, LSU every year. Why don’t they go to those schools? Playing a good schedule is important for perception, but so is winning. You say nobody wants to play against Carolina schools, but Clemson sure doesn’t have any problems bringing in recruits.

Winning 9-10+ games a year, and beating UGA, Clemson, and ND semi-regularly is all Tech needs to do to stay relevant nationally. Problem is, that hasn’t happened recently. UGAg and Clemson have rocketed to the top of college football, and Tech has stayed about the same, or even fallen backwards. Clemson, UGAg, and 1 other P5 (or Notre Dame) is a plenty good enough schedule to attract recruits, and bring relevance to Tech if they win those games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As many as possible.

I speak to football players all the time. Several are in classes and I ask them who they considered. Almost universally, it’s 4 SEC schools. We see them, we play them, we know them. Friends and relatives played there.

Tech, to recruit, has to excel at Awareness, Familiarity and Consideration in the top recruiting areas consistently. Tech is not relevant in Alabama (they used to be) nor West Georgia (they used to be). Kids here don’t care about playing Carolina schools ... they want to play their friends, against the best programs, and in front of their parents.

We aren’t leaving the ACC. But I’d drop Alcorn, Gardner Webb and those schools and play where it raises our profile so that a kid can say, “I see myself playing there.”

If I asked a kid here if he’s considered GT, I may as well asked him if he considered Holy Cross. Our scheduling has reduced our profile and along with the TO, hit the consideration set.

So to answer your question, I’d play 2 strong OOC opponents (UGA + 1 National program) and the other two should be regional for awareness ... Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, etc.

That would be a perennial top-5 schedule. If we could hang in there, I would love to play that schedule. Brutal. It would probably be a tougher SOS that anyone on it.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
As many as possible.

What you are suggesting would be absurd! We are already one of the few P5 teams that consistently CHOOSE to play 2 P5 OOC teams. In 2020 ugag is the ONLY sec team playing 2 (UVA and us) and FSU is the only other ACC team that is playing 2 (WVU and UF), with the exception of Clemson and Louisville who are forced to with ND and their annual SEC game. With our three selectable OCC games we always try to pick one P5 team (often SEC), one G5 team, and one FCS team. Sometimes (like this year) we are not able to arrange that for various reasons like some SEC teams backing out of a previous arrangement, which has happened a lot recently due to teams not wanting to play the triple option.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
As many as possible.

Yeah, that is a suicidal schedule and those teams don't want to give up a cupcake to play us, either. Like it or not, if you don't schedule a couple automatic w's, you are putting yourself at a big disadvantage. I think that, yes, it would be better to play some of the teams you mentioned rather than Pitt, uva, syracuse, BC, etc. but that is not an option, obviously.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Scheduling 12 is insane if you ever want to compete nationally.

Is it better to schedule a nobody or a weak P5? I'd rather have the weak P5 and go for visibility.

Vandy plays UT, UGA, UF every year, why don’t they go there?

Vandy has stated publicly it could care less about sports. I think most athletes would not want to attend a school that is so honest about it's lack of interest.

Winning 9-10+ games a year, and beating UGA, Clemson, and ND semi-regularly is all Tech needs to do to stay relevant nationally.

Fair enough. But you have to recruit to do that and we have become irrelevant in our own yard. Not fun.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What you are suggesting would be absurd! We are already one of the few P5 teams that consistently CHOOSE to play 2 P5 OOC teams. In 2020 ugag is the ONLY sec team playing 2 (UVA and us) and FSU is the only other ACC team that is playing 2 (WVU and UF), with the exception of Clemson and Louisville who are forced to with ND and their annual SEC game. With our three selectable OCC games we always try to pick one P5 team (often SEC), one G5 team, and one FCS team. Sometimes (like this year) we are not able to arrange that for various reasons like some SEC teams backing out of a previous arrangement, which has happened a lot recently due to teams not wanting to play the triple option.

Yes but … you're assuming all P5 schools are roughly the same. They're not.

I would gladly play Tennessee and Auburn rather than the Lower Slobodia U and Dumpster State. Oh … and we lost to Citadel. That worked well.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Is it better to schedule a nobody or a weak P5? I'd rather have the weak P5 and go for visibility.

Vandy has stated publicly it could care less about sports. I think most athletes would not want to attend a school that is so honest about it's lack of interest.

Fair enough. But you have to recruit to do that and we have become irrelevant in our own yard. Not fun.

Scheduling is way down the list of reasons we became irrelevant. With the option gone, we immediately jumped to 5th in the acc and top 25 nationally. Should get a tick better from there, too, in the coming years.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Old people with bad opinions.... nothing new in this thread.

Let’s look at reality here. Georgia State is not some cupcake team like you guys are making them out to be. They are becoming a stronger G5 team every year. News flash, they went to a bowl game this year and we did not.

Also I think their fan base would be bigger than ours too. So we wouldn’t be dominating them in terms of attendance. Their alumni care a lot more about football than most of ours.

As Tech it’s a no brainer, and away game of a decent G5 opponent that requires no travel. Sign me up for that in a heartbeat. I do agree that it is a must win game.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Let’s look at reality here. Georgia State is not some cupcake team like you guys are making them out to be. They are becoming a stronger G5 team every year. News flash, they went to a bowl game this year and we did not.

Also I think their fan base would be bigger than ours too. So we wouldn’t be dominating them in terms of attendance. Their alumni care a lot more about football than most of ours.

As Tech it’s a no brainer, and away game of a decent G5 opponent that requires no travel. Sign me up for that in a heartbeat. I do agree that it is a must win game.

Nahh. Their attendance is miniscule and their alumni, by and large, don't care about the fledgling football program. (I am 39, dunno if that makes me old and work with/know lots of gsu grads). Maybe current students will be a different story when they become alums, but the people who graduated previously barely know or care the program exists, for the most part.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I’m curious. Why is your opinion well thought and noble and others, bad? I’ve contributed a helluva lot of money to Tech and Tech athletics, only to see our program right back in the toilet where we were in 1981. And yes, I’m one of the “old people”.

I feel very strongly that we have diluted the football program.The reasons are many ... leaving the SEC, prioritizing research, the schedule, and the TO.

An urban school faces an uphill battle unless it plays teams people want to see. And GA State isn’t a team people want to see. Take a recruit to the Auburn Georgia game. And then take the same recruit to the Tech - GSU game and see which one he prefers.

Note: I’m an alum of both schools and could give two rips about GSU athletics.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

There alumni may care more about football but not always GSU football. They have only been playing football for 10 years so most of the football loving alumni prior to that have another team that they grew up rooting for and care about more than GSU football. I went there for my MBA and know a lot of people that graduated from there before they had football and none of them are die hard GSU fans. They all pull for GSU but are much bigger fans of other P5 programs. I would imagine that the majority of their main fanbase that go to games are more recent alumni that were in school in the last 10 years.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Really? Because Kennesaw hasn’t had a single winning season since beating Tech. Did Georgia Southern beating Florida legitimize them? Did USF beating Georgia Tech legitimize them? UCF beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl, and people found excuses to DE-legitimize them, and they were undefeated. Louisiana Monroe beat Alabama in Saban’s first year. Did that legitimize them? If Tech were to somehow lose to Georgia State, it would be a big deal for a couple of weeks, and State and UGAg fans might run their mouth, but it would basically be a non issue in terms of recruiting and “legitimizing” GSU.

Please turn on your sarcasm detector.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
An urban school faces an uphill battle unless it plays teams people want to see. And GA State isn’t a team people want to see. Take a recruit to the Auburn Georgia game. And then take the same recruit to the Tech - GSU game and see which one he prefers.
You know you can turn this around right? Take him to the Tech vs. Ala/Clem/ND at benz or
Auburn vs. Alcorn State or
UGA vs. ETSU

those are actual teams they are playin this year. If they do it, why can’t we?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You know you can turn this around right? Take him to the Tech vs. Ala/Clem/ND at benz or
UGA vs. ETSU

Fair enough. Auburn has an office in every county of the state, Tech doesn’t. So the “product” is really important. But I get your point. Good.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

Well there you have it, "Old people". This was TIC...right?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Young people without a modicum of common sense.

For what seems like the 10,000th time - it has nothing to do with gsu being a good or bad team.

Just cursing the darkness now.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
UGA vs. ETSU

Unbelievable. Did some of you guys really obtain your critical thinking skills by attending GT? And we claim some sort of academic high ground? Hilarious.

Tell us when Auburn will play AT Alcorn State, or when ugag will plat AT ETSU.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Unbelievable. Did some of you guys really obtain your critical thinking skills by attending GT? And we claim some sort of academic high ground? Hilarious.

Tell us when Auburn will play AT Alcorn State, or when ugag will plat AT ETSU.

Newsflash: we aren't uga or awebarn. We dont have that level of fan support. We dont have that amount of money.

The fans of those schools actually believe they will win every game and will go to away games to take over the stadium, no matter who they play.

Stop wetting your Pampers and join reality. Once we start putting together consecutive 10 win seasons for a decade, then we can complain about going to a g5 stadium. Until then, just support your team man, is it really that hard?