FSU @ GT 1/30/2021

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Box Score from Bing.
View attachment 9816

I watched some of the game, and listened to some on the radio. It was kind of cool hearing Randy on the radio going through all the teams that FSU had scored a ton of point on in their winning streak. Hats off to the defensive play--FSU was having a terrible time shooting and keeping the ball.

We were close in rebounds, which is outstanding for us. We tied for blocks, when even with Khalid we were the team in the "short" lineup.

We still didn't have the crazy shooting percentage we had in some of our other wins, but we did better than FSU. I don't care if anyone says FSU had an off night--they had an off night because of us.

I hope Bubba and his family are OK. The radio report was that it was a death in the family.

Ken Suguira interviewed Jerry Palm (re Bracketology). We're on his radar, but we're not getting focus. We both need quantity wins and quality wins. FSU is a quality win--now we just need quantity.

Our next game is Louisville on February 1. I'm looking at the Ramblin Wreck schedule here.

Then Notre Dame, Virginia, Clemson, BC, Miami, VT, Syracuse, Duke, Wake, then the Tourney (plus three postponed games). Some rough games in there, but we have some we'll be favored in.
What stands out about these stats? We shot poorly from behind the ark and still won.

slugboy

Staff member
What stands out about these stats? We shot poorly from behind the ark and still won.
FSU has been killing it lately--they've been crushing everyone. What stands out is that we shut FSU down.

Sports Reference has a nice graphic going for what your more recent games look like (GT isn't in yet for FSU)
1612058497121.png

In FSU's last five games,
  • They beat Miami 81-59, with an offensive rating of 117 and an effective field goal percentage of 56.5%
  • The beat Clemson 80-61, with an offensive rating of 109 and an effective field goal percentage of 58.3%
  • They beat Louisville 78-65, with an offensive rating of 118 and an effective field goal percentage of 57.3%
  • They beat UNC 82-75, with an offensive rating of 112 and an effective field goal percentage of 56%
  • They beat NCST 105!!!-73, with an offensive rating of 150!!! and an effective field goal percentage of 81%
They've been scoring like crazy and crushing their opponents up until today. We held them to 65, when they've been scoring a lot more than that. We slowed the game down, knocked their shooting percentage way down (they had an effective field goal % against us of 45.5%, way below the high 50's where they'd been averaging). Their offensive rating went way down against us (down to 89). There are some advanced stats here.

To me, the story isn't as much about us on offense (though, it's not bad). It's that we choked them out on defense.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, we need to play a deeper bench. It's the only way we'll be fresh enough to win these types of games.
On the opposite end, do you guys feel like FSU rotates their guys way too much? I don’t know how anyone ever gets into an offensive groove.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Gonzaga is #2 behind Baylor on KenPom. How good must Baylor be?

For the ACC
  1. #8 UVA (home 2/10)
  2. #16 FSU
  3. #25 Duke (home 3/2)
  4. #35 UNC
  5. #40 VT (away 2/23)
  6. #41 Louisville (away on 2/1)
  7. #44 Syracuse (home 2/27)
  8. #50 Georgia Tech
  9. #62 Clemson (away 2/13) (they're sinking pretty fast these days)
  10. #69 Pittsburgh
  11. #72 NCST
  12. #83 Notre Dame (home 2/6)
  13. #95 Boston College (home 2/16)
  14. #109 Wake Forest (away 3/5)
  15. #125 Miami (away 2/20)
There were postponements the first two weeks of January for Notre Dame, Louisville, Pitt, and NCST.

We have at least 5 upcoming games where we'll be underdogs right now, and 5 where we'll be favored. We'd be favored in 3/4ths of the postponed games.
How are Duke and UNC that far ahead of us, especially when we beat UNC? Serious question! Did the opening two games hurt us that badly?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We had 6 players with 10 min or more - they only had 8 with 10 min or more. It wasn't like they were substituting in waves today. They played a pretty set lineup actually.

slugboy

Staff member
On the opposite end, do you guys feel like FSU rotates their guys way too much? I don’t know how anyone ever gets into an offensive groove.
Until today, they'd had zero issues getting their guys into an offensive groove playing that deep a bench. In fact, they'd been getting into a heckuva groove.

What they had been doing was playing intense full court defense and wearing their opponents out while giving their players a rest.

(BTW, I don't know if today was coaching, or guttiness of the players, or both, but what a solid game by the Jackets).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Until today, they'd had zero issues getting their guys into an offensive groove playing that deep a bench. In fact, they'd been getting into a heckuva groove.

What they had been doing was playing intense full court defense and wearing their opponents out while giving their players a rest.

(BTW, I don't know if today was coaching, or guttiness of the players, or both, but what a solid game by the Jackets).

Give credit to both. And one by product of Bubba's family issue (which he should have focused on) is that we played a bigger lineup than normal. Not huge by any stretch but easier to matchup with FSU's length with Moore than Bubba. Kept Jose and especially Devoe out of big mismatches that were an issue first time around. And that recognizes that Jose, Devoe and Moses really didn't get a break all game in part because Bubba wasn't here.

slugboy

Staff member
How are Duke and UNC that far ahead of us, especially when we beat UNC? Serious question! Did the opening two games hurt us that badly?
How are Duke and UNC that far ahead of us, especially when we beat UNC?
UNC is 11-5. We're 8-5. UNC is 6-3 in conference. We're 4-3 in conference. They've played more games and have more wins but no more losses.
Duke is 7-5 overall, and 5-3 in conference, and beat us. I'd say "being Duke" might be a factor. Three of their five losses are against top 25 teams, and the other two are away games. They don't have any wins against ranked teams, though. Their resume isn't great, though--it looks a lot like ours, without early losses, but also without a top 25 win.

Did the opening two games hurt us that badly?
Yeah, I think they did. Two more wins and we'd be up more in win quantity, at least.
Missing two weeks might have more to do with it, though.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
How are Duke and UNC that far ahead of us, especially when we beat UNC?
UNC is 11-5. We're 8-5. UNC is 6-3 in conference. We're 4-3 in conference. They've played more games and have more wins but no more losses.
Duke is 7-5 overall, and 5-3 in conference, and beat us. I'd say "being Duke" might be a factor. Three of their five losses are against top 25 teams, and the other two are away games. They don't have any wins against ranked teams, though. Their resume isn't great, though--it looks a lot like ours, without early losses, but also without a top 25 win.

Did the opening two games hurt us that badly?
Yeah, I think they did. Two more wins and we'd be up more in win quantity, at least.
Missing two weeks might have more to do with it, though.
The key rankings for the committee are supposed to be NET. We are ahead of Duke who doesn't really have any high end wins other than us unfortunately. And we are behind UNC for the reasons you stated. Our issue is we started out so badly that we got hosed in all of the rankings and are having to work our way up. IMHO it is more about those first 2 games than the pause we had. If we had won the first 2 games and then had the same pause we would be solidly in bubble range.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck

True. They have definitely been in a groove. It just seems like guys like MJ Walker and Scotty Barnes should be playing more and shooting more than 5 shots a piece.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think a big key to the game in the absence of 3pt shooting was our transition offense.

We rebounded and broke to our basket with purpose & crispness, resulting in easy points.
Basketball is normally a game decided by who gets easy points. I was worried when late in the game we had a couple of live ball TOs for easy points for them and I thought they would come back. Instead we closed out with a flood of easy baskets by Moses. Fun to watch.

slugboy

Staff member
The key rankings for the committee are supposed to be NET. We are ahead of Duke who doesn't really have any high end wins other than us unfortunately. And we are behind UNC for the reasons you stated. Our issue is we started out so badly that we got hosed in all of the rankings and are having to work our way up. IMHO it is more about those first 2 games than the pause we had. If we had won the first 2 games and then had the same pause we would be solidly in bubble range.
Yes, NET is the one you care about for the NCAAs, and we're doing well there. We need to be in better shape to make the tourney, though--there are a lot of small conference teams, and being #50 in NET is probably on the wrong side of the bubble.
However, I was talking about KenPom, because that was one that was being discussed in the thread. It starts with a stack ranking based on last season and pre-season biases, and those get worked out over time. UNC and Duke started higher than us, and we haven't overcome that in regards to Duke.
We're bubble-area, but we're on the wrong side. I don't think the ACC is getting 7 or 8 teams in the tourney this year, and we're about 7th in the ACC right now. We need more wins.