FSU @ GT 1/30/2021

slugboy

Staff member
Box Score from Bing.
1612049764676.png

I watched some of the game, and listened to some on the radio. It was kind of cool hearing Randy on the radio going through all the teams that FSU had scored a ton of point on in their winning streak. Hats off to the defensive play--FSU was having a terrible time shooting and keeping the ball.

We were close in rebounds, which is outstanding for us. We tied for blocks, when even with Khalid we were the team in the "short" lineup.

We still didn't have the crazy shooting percentage we had in some of our other wins, but we did better than FSU. I don't care if anyone says FSU had an off night--they had an off night because of us.

I hope Bubba and his family are OK. The radio report was that it was a death in the family.

Ken Suguira interviewed Jerry Palm (re Bracketology). We're on his radar, but we're not getting focus. We both need quantity wins and quality wins. FSU is a quality win--now we just need quantity.

Our next game is Louisville on February 1. I'm looking at the Ramblin Wreck schedule here.

Then Notre Dame, Virginia, Clemson, BC, Miami, VT, Syracuse, Duke, Wake, then the Tourney (plus three postponed games). Some rough games in there, but we have some we'll be favored in.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will be the first to admit I didn't see this coming. Kudos to Jose for willing this to happen. Devoe played well against a team I thought he would struggle. Shows what I know.

On the other side I do know there will be multiple margaritas tonight. :cigar: :beercheers::beercheers::beercheers:
The stars are truly in alignment. Zing Zang and tequila both on sale tonight. ;)

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope we can close out the season and make the tournament, but I will selfishly be upset if I can’t attend one of the tournament games as I assume that will be the case.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As of now this stands as a quad 1 win with FSU at #18, before today's result is factored in. They will drop and could teeter around that #30 mark the rest of the season, which could tip this into a quad 2.

For that reason, we really want FSU to do well and stay on the right side of the 30-mark.

There are probably four quad 1 opportunities remaining on our regular season schedule:
  • Feb 1 @ Louisville (#47 in NET; criteria is top 75 on the road)
  • Feb 10 vs. Virginia (#5 in NET; criteria is top 30 at home)
  • Feb 13 @ Clemson (#50 prior to today's loss to Duke)
  • Feb 23 @ Virginia Tech (#42)

We are currently 1-2 in quad 1 games. For NCAAT chances, I think we need to grab at least two of the remaining four, provided we hold serve everywhere else, meaning we finish 3-4 in quad 1 games. If we can nab 3 of the remaining 4, which is a tall order, I think we tip from bubbly to feeling good on selection Sunday.

As I say that, who knows if we'll actually play the games as scheduled. Another reason today was huge.

slugboy

Staff member
Gonzaga is #2 behind Baylor on KenPom. How good must Baylor be?

For the ACC
  1. #8 UVA (home 2/10)
  2. #16 FSU
  3. #25 Duke (home 3/2)
  4. #35 UNC
  5. #40 VT (away 2/23)
  6. #41 Louisville (away on 2/1)
  7. #44 Syracuse (home 2/27)
  8. #50 Georgia Tech
  9. #62 Clemson (away 2/13) (they're sinking pretty fast these days)
  10. #69 Pittsburgh
  11. #72 NCST
  12. #83 Notre Dame (home 2/6)
  13. #95 Boston College (home 2/16)
  14. #109 Wake Forest (away 3/5)
  15. #125 Miami (away 2/20)
There were postponements the first two weeks of January for Notre Dame, Louisville, Pitt, and NCST.

We have at least 5 upcoming games where we'll be underdogs right now, and 5 where we'll be favored. We'd be favored in 3/4ths of the postponed games.