FSU game thread

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I feel the opposite about this. Because they're 83rd in the nation in 'returning production' per Bill Connolly. Last year, they were #1. And a lot of the new starters are transfers. Not guys who were on the depth chart last season. This is pretty much a new team. So, I'm not sure how much motivation/chip they'll have from the 'snub' Does DJ U really care that they got 'snubbed' last year when he was at ORSt?

But the negativity and distraction from the fanbase and lawsuits and all that is probably present.
You make a good point, which I am hoping is the case on the 24th.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I feel the opposite about this. Because they're 83rd in the nation in 'returning production' per Bill Connolly. Last year, they were #1. And a lot of the new starters are transfers. Not guys who were on the depth chart last season. This is pretty much a new team. So, I'm not sure how much motivation/chip they'll have from the 'snub' Does DJ U really care that they got 'snubbed' last year when he was at ORSt?

But the negativity and distraction from the fanbase and lawsuits and all that is probably present.
This is a valid point, although with the current state of college football where nobody has roster continuity because of the Transfer Portal, I think this point is somewhat diminished, plus the HC and staff is still in-place and they are the ones who prepare the team to play ...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He has not been a big runner at his other stops, iirc Haynes had 2-3x his running yards last season

While he wasn't used as heavily as King has been so far here, he was definitely used as a runner during his time at Clemson. He had 300+ yards rushing his second year there and over 500 yards in 2022. Oregon States offense didn't utilize him the same way but he still made some plays with his feet.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
While he wasn't used as heavily as King has been so far here, he was definitely used as a runner during his time at Clemson. He had 300+ yards rushing his second year there and over 500 yards in 2022. Oregon States offense didn't utilize him the same way but he still made some plays with his feet.
He has avg 3.02 yards/rush over his career

Attachments

• IMG_0794.png
    IMG_0794.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 14

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That attachment pretty much shows what I just said. He's a running QB, but he hasn't been utilized the same way King has at GT. Oregon State's offense didn't use him much there either.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That attachment pretty much shows what I just said. He's a running QB, but he hasn't been utilized the same way King has at GT. Oregon State's offense didn't use him much there either.
Ok? What i’m trying to say is he’s meh as a runner. Why are you always trying to start a fight with everyone?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ok? What i’m trying to say is he’s meh as a runner. Why are you always trying to start a fight with everyone?

Not starting a fight, just pointing out that he's got running ability. He's also pretty good with the deep pass. Our key to beating him is to get pressure on him and keep him from bolting, both things our defense has historically struggled with..

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Some detailed stats about DJU as a runner. He was actually pretty good last year.
And it is indeed a strength. PFF gave Uiagalelei a Run Grade of 80.9, which was 10th among QBs in 2023.

Last season at Oregon State, Uiagalelei was in the 86th percentile nationally or better in the following categories among QBs: Rushing Touchdowns (6 - 95th Percentile), Rushing 1st Downs (26 - 95th Percentile), 3rd Down Conversions per Rush (63.6% - 90th Percentile), Yards Per Carry AFTER Contact per Rush (3.16 - 86th Percentile), Tackle Avoided Rate (19.4% - 89th Percentile).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not starting a fight, just pointing out that he's got running ability. He's also pretty good with the deep pass. Our key to beating him is to get pressure on him and keep him from bolting, both things our defense has historically struggled with..
And not having safety 35 yards deep.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
He has avg 3.02 yards/rush over his career
College QBs have minus yards from sacks taken off of their rushing stats (vs. passing stats in the NFL). So not sure how much he was sacked but they can definitely influence your average yards per rush.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Thought this was an interesting breakdown of our offense by some FSU guys as they try to figure out what offense we'll break out against them.

This was the 2022 GT team, QB Gibson. These guys do even know that 15 is Gibson and not H King. They earlier called 17 Pyron on the outside TD run. This is a major mistake by these FS guys. It is a good thing thse guys are not coaches.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Some detailed stats about DJU as a runner. He was actually pretty good last year.
Interesting stats. But they seem counterintuitive. How do you manage to have 3.16 yards/carry after contact but only 3.2 yards/carry average? I realize that sacks lower the yards/carry number, but he only had 10 for the season. Haynes King had 15 sacks, but still managed to net 6.1 yards/carry, roughly twice DJ's. King must be in the 99.9th percentile if those numbers are accurate.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This was the 2022 GT team, QB Gibson. These guys do even know that 15 is Gibson and not H King. They earlier called 17 Pyron on the outside TD run. This is a major mistake by these FS guys. It is a good thing thse guys are not coaches.

These guys are talking about the 2023 GT team but watching and analyzing the 2022 team in an attempt to predict how our offense will attack FSU. What they are watching is pre-OC Faulkner, pre-H King, pre-J Haynes, and pre-Singleton/Blacburn/Lane in a game led by our 3rd string QB. What a major goofup!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting stats. But they seem counterintuitive. How do you manage to have 3.16 yards/carry after contact but only 3.2 yards/carry average? I realize that sacks lower the yards/carry number, but he only had 10 for the season. Haynes King had 15 sacks, but still managed to net 6.1 yards/carry, roughly twice DJ's. King must be in the 99.9th percentile if those numbers are accurate.
Maybe U guy is good but King is gooooood. Hope he has 400 yds less rushing and 800 yds more passing. I d take 360 yds passing and 50 yds rushing w 4 wr 75 yds each.