FSU game thread

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Probably all of them, if I had to guess

That was terrible and funny all at once...

kimmy schmidt dog GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think the RB room is going to be okay. I think with 2 veteran runners (one who had to learn the hard way last year not to lose the football) and the young blood, we're going to be better than some think. Just my opinion.
We are very experienced now with RB's but we still don't have that big back that can pound inside like Days and Laskey could. Also the smaller backs have trouble blocking for the QB when those big guys get loose.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
The M/L on the GT- FSU game is +400. Our odds to win the ACC conference is +7500. Given all of the the excitement on this forum, I'm planning to bet on both of these odds!!

I know this is a bit pedantic but +7500 isn’t a great price. You may want to see if you can wager on “to make playoffs” in lieu of ACC title, depending on the odds. If GT wins the ACC, it should be a guaranteed playoff spot since it’s no longer Coastal / Atlantic but two best teams, but there could be scenarios like going 11-1 in season, losing ACCCG and still likely making playoffs.

I consider fanduels pricing pretty fair and they have us at +8000 to make playoffs and +10000 to win ACC.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I’m interested to see how Carrie will do. 6’0” 200#. Tre Cooley is 5’10” 205. That’s pretty stout. No 220# guys, but we didn’t have that last year either.
We are very experienced now with RB's but we still don't have that big back that can pound inside like Days and Laskey could. Also the smaller backs have trouble blocking for the QB when those big guys get loose.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I’m interested to see how Carrie will do. 6’0” 200#. Tre Cooley is 5’10” 205. That’s pretty stout. No 220# guys, but we didn’t have that last year either.

The true freshman Maddox, 6-1 210 may be the big back answer in the future, especially if he grows into 6-2 220. He was hurt early in the year and missed the Spring Game but lately has gotten some good words from one who has seen some practice. The smaller backs are more effective as short receivers with an extra tight end blocking for pass plays. We have 3 experienced big TEs to rotate to block.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
DJ Uiagalelei has started against us twice (2021 and 2022 with clempson) and has career stats of 37/57 passing (65%) and under 70 yards rushing total in those combined games. Not the craziest numbers in the world by any means, but the thing that stood out to me was he had 0 turnovers in the two starts against us. The passing yards combined weren't too high, meaning a lot of slants/short passes throughout the game. FSU will be more prone to run and test our new defense, which they should. I believe the key for Tech to win is to be opportunistic on defense and try and force a turnover or two. Although we know what our offense is going to do, so does FSU... on the flip side of that coin, FSU along with all of us know very little about what our defense is going to be with TML in Ireland. For that, I will stay optimistic and say our defense takes a huge step forward this year and IMO, would be the deciding factor on if we pull out the W in Ireland (It's still too early for a formal prediction and... that's a different thread :))

Go Jackets!

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
DJ Uiagalelei has started against us twice (2021 and 2022 with clempson) and has career stats of 37/57 passing (65%) and under 70 yards rushing total in those combined games. Not the craziest numbers in the world by any means, but the thing that stood out to me was he had 0 turnovers in the two starts against us. The passing yards combined weren't too high, meaning a lot of slants/short passes throughout the game. FSU will be more prone to run and test our new defense, which they should. I believe the key for Tech to win is to be opportunistic on defense and try and force a turnover or two. Although we know what our offense is going to do, so does FSU... on the flip side of that coin, FSU along with all of us know very little about what our defense is going to be with TML in Ireland. For that, I will stay optimistic and say our defense takes a huge step forward this year and IMO, would be the deciding factor on if we pull out the W in Ireland (It's still too early for a formal prediction and... that's a different thread :))

Go Jackets!
Somebody please feel free to fact check me on this, my memory is pretty bad. IIRC, DJ did most of his damage on us with RPO style passes, not drop back passes. Our defense really messed Clempy up when we played with him at QB, and we were within a miracle from Jordan Yates from beating them. I think the key will be shutting down their running game and putting pressure on them to keep up offensively. The higher the total score, the better chance we have at winning IMHO. Let Haynes and the O cook, and force DJ to keep up through the air.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Nice post.
I think that FSU will try to run run run pass at first. They think our dl, while bigger than last year, will not have good gap discipline. As do I, they have no idea about our LB s will do. Tackling technique in space is more like rid um cowboy = giant yac. They expect to not punt.
I hope we gradually prove that to be a bad plan by winning a few 3rd downs and our offense scoring.
Their stud qb had several seasons with NFL 39th pick in draft Coleman and 186th pick jones. Now they have new qb and wr. Early they pass throw a few short passes but try deep one to elite transfer from osu. Our safeties are or strength at db , so it could be good. Against us, I fear any max protect offense pass play w lb , nb or cb has to cover. The longer it takes to gdt to that point the better..

I am hoping that in second quarter our dl and our ol turn it on.
Go jackets.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
The notable quiet spot in our fall camp press conferences has been about our LBs. Key has practically raved about the DL, but hasn’t said much about the LBs. I hope that means the DL improvement has given them an opportunity to shoot gaps and make plays on run defense

Or, maybe he’s playing coy about our LBs to give FSU a surprise come game day!

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I've previously compared last year's GT team to the 2007 Alabama team on this forum. If you'll forgive my indulgence, let's compare what happened 2007/08 to GT 2023/24:

Year 1 - 2 Marquee wins over top 15ish teams - Tennessee + Arkansas/North Carolina + Miami
Year 1 - Hard-fought close loss against top competition - LSU/UGA
Year 1 - Embarassing loss to lower competition, followed by a strong response - Louisiana-Monroe/Bowling Green
Year 1 - Bowl win - Colorado/UCF
Year 2 - Get boosters aligned behind new program and raise a record amount of money - Mal Moore/J Batt
Year 2 - Hire young up-and-coming defensive coordinator - Kirby Smart/Tyler Santucci
Year 2 - Sign headliner in-state 5-star recruit, sending a message to recruits - Julio Jones/Josh Petty
Year 2 - Upset top-10 ACC opponent on a neutral-site field, signaling you're back - Clemson/FSU <-- you are here

Now I'm in no way saying that we will go 12-0 next year or will win 5 of the next 10 national championships. I'm just saying, history is like poetry, it rhymes, and I'm ready to watch a game I have a feeling we'll remember for a long time.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I've previously compared last year's GT team to the 2007 Alabama team on this forum. If you'll forgive my indulgence, let's compare what happened 2007/08 to GT 2023/24:

Year 1 - 2 Marquee wins over top 15ish teams - Tennessee + Arkansas/North Carolina + Miami
Year 1 - Embarassing loss to lower competition, followed by a strong response - Louisiana-Monroe/Bowling Green
Year 2 - Get boosters aligned behind new program and raise a record amount of money - Mal Moore/J Batt
Year 2 - Hire young up-and-coming defensive coordinator - Kirby Smart/Tyler Santucci
Year 2 - Sign headliner in-state 5-star recruit, sending a message to recruits - Julio Jones/Josh Petty
Year 2 - Upset top-10 ACC opponent on a neutral-site field, signaling you're back - Clemson/FSU <-- you are here

Now I'm in no way saying that we will go 12-0 next year or will win 5 of the next 10 national championships. I'm just saying, history is like poetry, it rhymes, and I'm ready to watch a game I have a feeling we'll remember for a long time.
I hope you are right.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck

Very interesting. The writing is on the wall and this feels like GT is pushing towards a better place. I do think the scale of everything is very different between Bama and GT (especially as it relates to $$$), but the trends are very similar and I hope you're the genius that noticed it first!

The fact that we're gaining momentum for financial support is the biggest domino, IMO. We need to continue that to be competitive, but it's a HUGE first step. Getting Petty to commit is the fruit of all of these labors and is hopefully the first of many recruiting wins, but it all starts with financial support.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
FSU is easily the most important game on the schedule. This is make a "Georgia Tech the talk of the country for the entire leadup to Week 1" material. This is a "put 45-50k in Bobby Dodd for Under The Skyline against Georgia State" moment. This is a "renew the fandom of tens of thousands of long, lost alumni" opportunity. It would be great to have a 6-6 season and beat Georgia, but program momentum would be reset by the time August 2025 rolls around.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I don’t have to go 12-0, I can live with 11-1 .