From a fan of 55 years and what i see

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think you're right.

But there has got to be a way for our football program to improve. Unless as a fanbase and institution we simply become complacent with 7-5 (with some seasons better and some worse) and that's where GT football will live.

By the way for anyone reading, I'm not trying to get a "fire Paul Johnson" movement started, I simply want to discuss how (if possible) our football program can get better.
I think we're close right now. We just need a few more breaks in recruiting and player development. We just barely missed on several game changer type athletes the past few years. We've also been stung by guys not being able to stay in school or stay healthy. These things have a devastating effect on our roster and we need a roster with the right mix of talent and experience. The less of one means we need more of the other. In '14 we had just the right mix. That's a very precarious mix to maintain from year to year at a school that doubles as a SCHOOL.

Adam B.

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we're close right now. We just need a few more breaks in recruiting and player development. We just barely missed on several game changer type athletes the past few years. We've also been stung by guys not being able to stay in school or stay healthy. These things have a devastating effect on our roster and we need a roster with the right mix of talent and experience. The less of one means we need more of the other. In '14 we had just the right mix. That's a very precarious mix to maintain from year to year at a school that doubles as a SCHOOL.

A school that doubles as a school?? Who woulda thought..

We have had some unfortunate luck in that regard. Hopefully we can power through and build it up.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
For me, also a 55+ year fan since my Grandfather (a sidewalk fan) taught me the words to Ramblin Wreck as a small boy, it comes down to GT maximizing my pleasure. I love going to football games (32 year season ticket holder), I love we have a MNC since uga has (and I was there for all but two games), I still have a warm glow from the Cremmins years when I had Bball season tickets and was in Charlotte in 1990 when we won the championship, I love playing Clemson and winning more than our fair share, I love the baseball games I get to go to and that we share the record for most ACC baseball titles with only about 35 years in the conference, I love that I've been to the Orange Bowl twice in the last 7 seasons. In my lifetime, I've seen Tech take Clemson, FSU, ND, Miami, uga, Auburn, and a bunch more factories to the woodshed and beat the hell out of them.

I love the fact that no matter the challenge I received when still working, Tech had prepared me. I love knowing GT dragged out and developed (very painfully) every bit of mathematical, technical, and scientific talent that I had inside me. I loved hearing my father introduce me as, "This is my son. He went to Tech."

I love reading the university rankings and seeing Tech's name prominent and uga's not. We are living in a Golden Age of Engineering, and Tech is one of the best in the country at Engineering. I get to strut around town in my Tech t-shirt like I'm some sort of engineering genius, when I would not come close to getting in today.

But the thing I love most is that I have steered 2 nieces and a nephew to Tech. The nieces married Tech men. They are all much more successful than I was at their age. They will be rich and happy barring catastrophe, and they love football games. I love that my extended family has come to me to talk about what Tech is and how to get their kids in.

So when I add up all of those elements, I thank the BOR for making calculus mandatory (if they did) to hurt Tech athletics because like most dawg plans it backfired to Tech's benefit. Bama and all the other factories can stuff it because I have the best of all worlds.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For me, also a 55+ year fan since my Grandfather (a sidewalk fan) taught me the words to Ramblin Wreck as a small boy, it comes down to GT maximizing my pleasure. I love going to football games (32 year season ticket holder), I love we have a MNC since uga has (and I was there for all but two games), I still have a warm glow from the Cremmins years when I had Bball season tickets and was in Charlotte in 1990 when we won the championship, I love playing Clemson and winning more than our fair share, I love the baseball games I get to go to and that we share the record for most ACC baseball titles with only about 35 years in the conference, I love that I've been to the Orange Bowl twice in the last 7 seasons. In my lifetime, I've seen Tech take Clemson, FSU, ND, Miami, uga, Auburn, and a bunch more factories to the woodshed and beat the hell out of them.

I love the fact that no matter the challenge I received when still working, Tech had prepared me. I love knowing GT dragged out and developed (very painfully) every bit of mathematical, technical, and scientific talent that I had inside me. I loved hearing my father introduce me as, "This is my son. He went to Tech."

I love reading the university rankings and seeing Tech's name prominent and uga's not. We are living in a Golden Age of Engineering, and Tech is one of the best in the country at Engineering. I get to strut around town in my Tech t-shirt like I'm some sort of engineering genius, when I would not come close to getting in today.

But the thing I love most is that I have steered 2 nieces and a nephew to Tech. The nieces married Tech men. They are all much more successful than I was at their age. They will be rich and happy barring catastrophe, and they love football games. I love that my extended family has come to me to talk about what Tech is and how to get their kids in.

So when I add up all of those elements, I thank the BOR for making calculus mandatory (if they did) to hurt Tech athletics because like most dawg plans it backfired to Tech's benefit. Bama and all the other factories can stuff it because I have the best of all worlds.

Yep. This is what I'm talking about.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I nominate this POST OF THE DAY!

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Folks I think we are a lot closer than people think the 2014 recruiting class will come of age in the next year to two and we saw that we can recruit well and this staff can sell GT........I was not to happy at the spring game.....but it was just a spring game.........and you know its Damn fun when we beat those factories.....

We can compete in basketball due to sheer numbers each team has. In football with the current climate, we either add a major without calculus and physics and take football serious or drop down to a lower division. We cannot have recruiting classes never in the top twenty and compete for championships. Agree or disagree
Been a fan longer than you, but by 'jest a tetch", and I disagree. We can compete. We have competed. The present CFP scenario does effectively lock us out of the title games, but that has more to do with the persona of the ACC than our ability. Double digit win seasons in the past decade, a New Years Six win. It can be done, it has been done. I question whether the present staff is the right staff, but with the right fit at coach we can still be a force to be reckoned with.

Well we won one in 1952 also but, I said todays climate. Again, what is our record with the big boy football under CPJ. I am in no way blaming CPJ, I don't know that we can do better.

Let me reiterate what has been iterated many times before about a bygone era.

a) Dodd-a coach/recruiter/leader that comes once in a generation
b) Atlanta, a media and sports mecca in the post-war south
c) Atlanta, a thriving New South economy that relentlessly demanded engineers--and WINNERS
d) all white teams across the region.
e) no competition whatsoever for the sports dollar; and Georgia sucked.

In many ways it was the perfect storm.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me reiterate what has been iterated many times before about a bygone era.

a) Dodd-a coach/recruiter/leader that comes once in a generation
b) Atlanta, a media and sports mecca in the post-war south
c) Atlanta, a thriving New South economy that relentlessly demanded engineers--and WINNERS
d) all white teams across the region.
e) no competition whatsoever for the sports dollar; and Georgia sucked.

In many ways it was the perfect storm.
I think my post said, in the current climate.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
And that is the problem.
People spewing forth that we can not excel at both like N.D. and Stanford. Losers mentality tainted by the whine az philosophy that our degree will be worth less.

Losers mentality.

Exactly!
If you want to accept the polarizing "we can't win because of a-b or c" paradigm, you have lost before you've tried. What was Clemson's motto this year? "All in." This is what we need to project. If you're looking for a savior to level the playing field, you are probably voting for Bernie Sanders. With the falsely perceived notion that the poor, if given enough, won't be poor. When in fact, it is the poor's mindset that limits them to being poor. Same in football. Even though I'm a tech fan, I went to Alabama. Their fans expect to win every game, they practically do, and I've seen them literally cry when they lose. If you think you can't compete, you are right. If you think you can compete, you are right.
2014 Georgia game- on paper, they should have wiped the field with us. Our boys believed they could win, and did. In football and in life, you win or lose, in your mind first.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
1. GT is not going to drop into a lower division
2. GT is not going to add dummy majors
3. We have been to 2 Orange Bowls under Johnson

Don't know what else to say. Keep up incremental recruiting improvements at QB, WR, & RB, have better luck with injuries & transfers, and improve D-line recruiting and we are going to be damn tough to beat.

The potential to evolve is there....just got to do it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One of my favorite bloggers is the MathBabe. She put her finger on the Tech advantage a few weeks ago. "Remember," she said, "outside academia if you can do math you have superpowers!"

She's right, as usual.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would take OP's assertion as being more genuine if he had made the same statement after 11-3 and Orange Bowl victory.

Things are never as good or bad as they seem.
Well, actually 2014 was as good and 2015 every bit as bad as they seemed, don't you think? But, shoot, Grandpa got the board turned sideways and the fur sticking out to make itself bigger in reaction. Actually kind of fun to read all of it, including Grandpa's grouchy old man pose. Wonder how he'd react if I asked to borrow a few bucks?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Well, actually 2014 was as good and 2015 every bit as bad as they seemed, don't you think? But, shoot, Grandpa got the board turned sideways and the fur sticking out to make itself bigger in reaction. Actually kind of fun to read all of it, including Grandpa's grouchy old man pose. Wonder how he'd react if I asked to borrow a few bucks?

Get off my lawn!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
1. GT is not going to drop into a lower division
2. GT is not going to add dummy majors
3. We have been to 2 Orange Bowls under Johnson

Don't know what else to say. Keep up incremental recruiting improvements at QB, WR, & RB, have better luck with injuries & transfers, and improve D-line recruiting and we are going to be damn tough to beat.

The potential to evolve is there....just got to do it.
You left out getting a different uniform supplier and selecting the right shade of gold. Those seem to be the major issues year after year!

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
If they ever axe CPJ, and I hope they don't, I would like to see if we can find a guy who can close on a few more of the Donavaughn Campbell's and Romeo Finley's of the world. Just based on some kids I've talked to in my line of work, I think kids are more enthusiastic about playing with other talented kids than ever before, and bringing in a few higher profile kids would get the ball rolling. Do I believe they'd necessarily play better than the guys we're getting? No. But with every elite hs kid you bring in, the odds that one of them is a game-changer goes up. And before you say "Travis, I didn't think you believed in star rankings." I don't. But I do believe in talent.