From a fan of 55 years and what i see

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If they ever axe CPJ, and I hope they don't, I would like to see if we can find a guy who can close on a few more of the Donavaughn Campbell's and Romeo Finley's of the world. Just based on some kids I've talked to in my line of work, I think kids are more enthusiastic about playing with other talented kids than ever before, and bringing in a few higher profile kids would get the ball rolling. Do I believe they'd necessarily play better than the guys we're getting? No. But with every elite hs kid you bring in, the odds that one of them is a game-changer goes up. And before you say "Travis, I didn't think you believed in star rankings." I don't. But I do believe in talent.
Campbell was playing us to get the free trip to Atlanta.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You left out getting a different uniform supplier and selecting the right shade of gold. Those seem to be the major issues year after year!
I did read the AJC piece that says Tech is stuck with Russell through '18, but the AD is aware of the problems.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
"A calculus course is required in Area A2 for all engineering majors and for all programs at Georgia Institute of Technology. While students may fulfill this requirement with a math course higher than a first course in calculus, institutions may not require them to do so."

http://www.usg.edu/academic_affairs_handbook/section2/C738/
Augusta Buzz I am fully aware that the requirements have changed. (Really changed back) But there was a period of time where there was an alternative to Calculus. Trust me I have a BS in Business Management and did not have to take Calculus to receive it. I would have taken Calculus if it had been required but at that time it was not for those in the Ivan Allen College.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot of talk about being competitive and competing for championships, and then there's talk that being a GT fan is expecting going 7-5 every year. Those two things just don't go hand in hand to me. Our academics are tough, but pointing out ND and Stanford does show its possible to compete in both academics and athletics. We have other great programs too (golf/baseball possibly others that I'm not paying attention to) amidst a tough academic environment. So is it possible that the problem lies with the coach or AD? Why can't the problem we identify in the football program not be solved by fixing the football program - not trying to change academic standards or move divisions, etc.? Just throwing thoughts out there... up for discussion!

Have Notre Dame and Stanford really that more successful than us in football in the past 20 years? They've had some nice top end seasons, but they've also had a good amount of mediocrity too, haven't they?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Have Notre Dame and Stanford really that more successful than us in football in the past 20 years? They've had some nice top end seasons, but they've also had a good amount of mediocrity too, haven't they?
How many coaches has ND been thru in the last 25 years? They made the championship game by the skin of their teeth one year and were beaten like a drum. Tech would have given Bama a better game. Thank Heavens that Bama beat uga in the SECC that year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Don't let facts get in the way of posts. We should be beating our chests, grunting, and blaming everything on Bobo.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
For me, also a 55+ year fan since my Grandfather (a sidewalk fan) taught me the words to Ramblin Wreck as a small boy, it comes down to GT maximizing my pleasure. I love going to football games (32 year season ticket holder), I love we have a MNC since uga has (and I was there for all but two games), I still have a warm glow from the Cremmins years when I had Bball season tickets and was in Charlotte in 1990 when we won the championship, I love playing Clemson and winning more than our fair share, I love the baseball games I get to go to and that we share the record for most ACC baseball titles with only about 35 years in the conference, I love that I've been to the Orange Bowl twice in the last 7 seasons. In my lifetime, I've seen Tech take Clemson, FSU, ND, Miami, uga, Auburn, and a bunch more factories to the woodshed and beat the hell out of them.

I love the fact that no matter the challenge I received when still working, Tech had prepared me. I love knowing GT dragged out and developed (very painfully) every bit of mathematical, technical, and scientific talent that I had inside me. I loved hearing my father introduce me as, "This is my son. He went to Tech."

I love reading the university rankings and seeing Tech's name prominent and uga's not. We are living in a Golden Age of Engineering, and Tech is one of the best in the country at Engineering. I get to strut around town in my Tech t-shirt like I'm some sort of engineering genius, when I would not come close to getting in today.

But the thing I love most is that I have steered 2 nieces and a nephew to Tech. The nieces married Tech men. They are all much more successful than I was at their age. They will be rich and happy barring catastrophe, and they love football games. I love that my extended family has come to me to talk about what Tech is and how to get their kids in.

So when I add up all of those elements, I thank the BOR for making calculus mandatory (if they did) to hurt Tech athletics because like most dawg plans it backfired to Tech's benefit. Bama and all the other factories can stuff it because I have the best of all worlds.

Boy howdy, did I get taken to the wood shed by Mr. Red Mule. He is, of course, on the money with some very interesting personal sidelights to boot. I still think that the calculus requirement was intended to stifle any hopes Tech had of competing with UGA and to some extent they have succeeded but as RM pointed out this has also backfired in ways that may have surprised our "friends" at the BOR. Televised games inevitably draw attention to Tech's unique place in the college football world. Bob Griese mentioned the calculus in a game not to long ago and others have commented on it. Does UGA get that kind of billing? No sir. It remains a backwater even with all their built in advantages. It is what it is. Let's play ball this fall and let the chips fall where they may.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Augusta Buzz I am fully aware that the requirements have changed. (Really changed back) But there was a period of time where there was an alternative to Calculus. Trust me I have a BS in Business Management and did not have to take Calculus to receive it. I would have taken Calculus if it had been required but at that time it was not for those in the Ivan Allen College.
So, they discontinued the requirement for a few years in the late 1990s. And we proceeded to beat them three years in a row, so they had to reinstate for the same reason as in the 1950s. By the way, "Survey of Calculus" is still calculus. That didn't happen to be your substitute; did it?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we are set up to have year to year big years like a factory. We are the kind of program that does really well every few years when things line up correctly with the roster in terms of talent and experience. We were already in a rebuilding year last year when we were hit with an avalanche of injuries. Fans are keenly aware of our injury problem, but I think the graduation losses hurt us more.