Francis Kallon

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
This kid's sole problem is that he has failed to live up to the lofty hype decorated on him by a bunch of Internet talent scouts.

He was always going to be a project. He signed at Tech playing far fewer years of football than his peers and yet people expected him to basically dominate them from day 1 because of his athletic build. It doesn't always work that way. He's still got plenty of time to achieve big things at Tech, but even if he doesn't HE didn't waste anything. He was always a gamble by the staff.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
It took Darren Waller until his Senior year to make an appreciable impact despite having tremendous physical tools from the start. A lot of times when kids are highly ranked it is based more upon physical potential than whether they are a polished, productive player coming out of high school. This is especially so for kids that came to football late. I always figured that it would take until his redshirt junior year for Francis to make any impact at all as a result of his lack of experience. He has great physical tools, but to expect him to be anything more than serviceable his freshman and sophomore year despite having played one year of football prior to setting foot on campus is a little much.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The guy didn't grow playing football here in the south.

Just stop after the word football. "The guy didn't grow playing football." That's my reason. It's got nothing to do with being in the south. That's where the elitist part came from.

Why are we comparing players ?? This is a Francis Kallon thread.
But to compare the two players at this point is pointless.

You're the one who invited the comparison when you described a set of criteria (originally from the South and played Pop Warner) that applies to both players, and many others, and then used it as your reason for why he hasn't performed well to his point. It's a bad one.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
SirFrancis_zps979b9251.png

Apropos as this was his high school stadium...
stadium.jpg

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Some guys just do enough to get by and do not maximize their opportunity. I would put Kallon in that category. It's time for him to make a larger contribution to the team.

This is garbage. You have no idea how hard that kid is working and we have heard zero reports about him in this manner from anyone. It's ridiculous to say something like that. It's one thing to talk about him not getting on the field and performing during games. But to imply he's he's just coasting along until graduation, based on nothing, is ridiculous and pretty mean spirited. This isn't the first time you've done it either. You're too quick to write off players.

Well, fwiw @Jerry the Jacket said similar things about Snoddy before this season. He knows what he's talking about?

Also said that "Erin Joe is a bust. He is just not serious about the game." That's a direct quote.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Good athletes who haven't been trained properly take time to mature as ballplayers, and Francis has only been playing "organized" football for 4 years or so, with college level training for two of them. Technique isn't natural and for some players, even those who have played since they were young, the lights don't come on until their Senior year of college, like Nick Fairley, from Auburn, a few years ago (he became a 1st Round Draft Choice of the Detroit Lions).

Kallon has shown improvement since Pelton has taken over as his position Coach, and I expect him to continue to improve as he works against our Offensive Line and learns more techniques to use with his re-sculpted body and position.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Snoody and Joe finally did some good things this year. Some times you just have to point out someone's lack of production to inspire them to greater achievements. I know a lot of society today does not want to risk hurting anyone's feelings and that everyone should get a little trophy for just being on the team, but you don't get results from being satisfied with average. Fact is every team has some guys that need additional motivation to get the best out of them. Different coaches do it in different ways. I'm just a fan but I follow the program very closely. If we can get a little more production out of several more players we can be not just a good team but a great team. We are close.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Snoody and Joe finally did some good things this year. Some times you just have to point out someone's lack of production to inspire them to greater achievements. I know a lot of society today does not want to risk hurting anyone's feelings and that everyone should get a little trophy for just being on the team, but you don't get results from being satisfied with average. Fact is every team has some guys that need additional motivation to get the best out of them. Different coaches do it in different ways. I'm just a fan but I follow the program very closely. If we can get a little more production out of several more players we can be not just a good team but a great team. We are close.

Go Jackets!
Some guys are late bloomers. In fact, GT regularly goes after guys considered "projects" because they're a helluva lot easier to land than the marquee blue chippers. We all knew Kallon was a project from the outset no matter what our fantasies were of him making freshman AA.

I've heard no reports of him slacking off on the job so I'm going to assume he's been giving it his all the whole time. That's really all you can ask. If they don't pan out, well there's plenty of blue chippers that follow that path, too.

This is garbage. You have no idea how hard that kid is working and we have heard zero reports about him in this manner from anyone. It's ridiculous to say something like that. It's one thing to talk about him not getting on the field and performing during games. But to imply he's he's just coasting along until graduation, based on nothing, is ridiculous and pretty mean spirited. This isn't the first time you've done it either. You're too quick to write off players.

Also said that "Erin Joe is a bust. He is just not serious about the game." That's a direct quote.
Why are you getting a little heated ? Just because someone doesn't think along the lines as you , doesn't mean you take it to the heart. The guy has not performed at this point. Do you have a reason why he hasn't performed up to par ? You have yet to imply your reason. Nobody knows the truth at this point. Everyone is going off speculation. Cool off and smoke you some weed.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!
Are you really taking credit for Snoddy's and Joe's performance this year? I can almost guarantee CPJ does not hand out participation trophies.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Why are you getting a little heated ? Just because someone doesn't think along the lines as you , doesn't mean you take it to the heart. The guy has not performed at this point. Do you have a reason why he hasn't performed up to par ? You have yet to imply your reason. Nobody knows the truth at this point. Everyone is going off speculation. Cool off and smoke you some weed.
I don't mean to speak for Squints, but I suspect the reason he's heated is because the person he is responding to attacked Kallon's character without any basis. You're exactly right that nobody (outside the program) knows the truth and any judgments are completely speculative. In my mind, that is a time to treat people, particularly our SAs, with respect instead of derision. After prematurely writing off multiple players as "busts", you'd at least hope for a little humility.

I don't mean to speak for Squints, but I suspect the reason he's heated is because the person he is responding to attacked Kallon's character without any basis. You're exactly right that nobody (outside the program) knows the truth and any judgments are completely speculative. In my mind, that is a time to treat people, particularly our SAs, with respect instead of derision. After prematurely writing off multiple players as "busts", you'd at least hope for a little humility.
So you have never said one thing wrong about a former player (Reggie Ball)??

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey I am pulling for Kallon and all of our guys. I just think some of them need a little more tough love. Hopefully Coach Pelton and Coach Roof are working on that.

Go Jackets

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hey I am pulling for Kallon and all of our guys. I just think some of them need a little more tough love. Hopefully Coach Pelton and Coach Roof are working on that.

Go Jackets
One thing I've noticed is that CPJ knows how to approach each player. Some guys he really chews their butt and others he never does. It's not about favoritism it's more about knowing how to motivate. Everybody doesn't respond the same way to the same approach.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

Go Jackets!
Seriously? You think think your comments on this blog will inspire these players? So if Sir Francis has a breakout year, you will take credit for his achievements?