Francis Kallon

I agree. He appeared to be athletic and have decent hands last year in his limited role. My hope is that he was overthinking everything, particularly getting his hands ready to shed blocks. This could be an explanation for his upright position after the snap and why it looked like he was on ice skates all the time. This issue can be easily fixed, although previously mentioned issues could also be the problem, and those issues are much harder to correct.

On a side note, I like Psycho for Sir Francis' new nickname.
What games are you referring back to ? I would like to go back and evaluate the lineman he lined up against as well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sir Francis Kallon of Sackinshire at Sackington-Upon-Moresacks.

Coach Pelton will have him ready to play.
SirFrancis_zps979b9251.png

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One thing I enjoyed seeing from Kallon last year was how excited he was about the Ugag win ... he was into it more than anybody ... It's good to see a player like him start to get into it, because with the raw tools he's got, if he can get the desire and fire going, that's more than half the battle.

I love this about him, thats heartwarming to me!

And Jerry i don't see how you can say he's wasting a scholly, the kid stayed eligible and in school unlike 3/4 of his former DL mates and he contributed valuable minutes this year

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I did not say he was wasting a scholarship I simply said he is occupying one. All these guys contribute if only on the practice field for some. I just believe if you are going to earn the right to have a scholarship you need to do just that. Earn it! Some guys just do enough to get by and do not maximize their opportunity. I would put Kallon in that category. It's time for him to make a larger contribution to the team.

Go Jackets!

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Some guys just do enough to get by and do not maximize their opportunity. I would put Kallon in that category.
Putting him in that category is a pretty disrespectful thing to do considering you present no evidence of how hard he works or whether or not he's maximizing his opportunity. As far as I know, nobody who actually has knowledge of the team has said he doesn't work hard enough. Until someone does you're just fabricating an ugly and pointless story.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I did not say he was wasting a scholarship I simply said he is occupying one. All these guys contribute if only on the practice field for some. I just believe if you are going to earn the right to have a scholarship you need to do just that. Earn it! Some guys just do enough to get by and do not maximize their opportunity. I would put Kallon in that category. It's time for him to make a larger contribution to the team.

Go Jackets!
That's still pretty harsh, Jerry. Kallon didn't force anybody to offer him a scholly. There's no production quota written into the scholly contract. Every offer is a gamble taken by the staff. As long as the kid is doing his part which means busting his butt on and off the field and representing himself and school with class, that's all that should be expected. Production that results from that effort is the icing on the cake that feeds the fans. Your comments are pushing the factory mentality envelope.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Putting him in that category is a pretty disrespectful thing to do considering you present no evidence of how hard he works or whether or not he's maximizing his opportunity. As far as I know, nobody who actually has knowledge of the team has said he doesn't work hard enough. Until someone does you're just fabricating an ugly and pointless story.
The post above yours is pretty benign . Not sure where you get this accusation stuff.
Teams, business, life are full of folks that don't come close to even reaching a portion of their potential. My son who played college ball called them steak eaters. Usually reserved for seniors that coast out the door.
Fran Kallon is ( like jerry said) entering his time to shine. I think he will.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The post above yours is pretty benign . Not sure where you get this accusation stuff.
I'm not sure why you're confused. Here's exactly what I quoted:
Some guys just do enough to get by and do not maximize their opportunity. I would put Kallon in that category.
As I said, Jerry has no basis for putting Kallon in that category. Perhaps it applies to him; perhaps he's one of your son's "steak-eaters". But the poster has no way of knowing that without inside information which AFAIK nobody has presented. Until then I just prefer our SAs are treated with respect. Other people can insult them if they choose.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone say that they've watched Kallon's film over the course of this past season and evaluated his progress? If I had the time and the expertise, I think it would be really interesting to see if he made any strides or if he basically played the same all season.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well said.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Well, fwiw @Jerry the Jacket said similar things about Snoddy before this season. He knows what he's talking about?

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
I tried to get it back to technique - too erect

A lot of people have this problem during/after high school.

But seriously, I'm proud to have Kallon on the team. He's getting minutes, which means he's earning them. I hope he continues to do so.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I watched Kallon later in the year when he was playing more and I thought he did ok. He wasn't Bubba Smith or anything, but he was a serviceable reserve. Given his lack of football experience, I think it would be a bit hasty to blow him off as never fulfilling his potential. If he progresses as much during spring and fall practice as he did in the regular season this year, we'll have ourselves a pretty fair country DT to put on the field, imho.

And, btw, I always discount the "you have to be mean to play DL" meme. It helps some players, but some of the best DLs (Big Daddy Lipscomb, for instance) who ever lived were notoriously good natured.