Five Ala players have tested positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My wife won't let me go grocery shopping. I literally haven't been inside a building besides my house and my moms house since early March. When my wife goes she wears a mask, and gloves which she promptly disposes of when she gets home. She also immediately takes a shower and washes her clothes when she gets home and completely wipes down everything that isn't produce. I obviously don't see her at the store, but knowing her she is staying as far away from everyone as possible. That is about the best we can do. We have to eat. Thats not nearly the same as voluntarily getting shoulder to shoulder with 50k people.
You and your wife have to do what you think is best, but here is the advice I got from my neighbor, an ER nurse at Carolina East Medical Center:

Stop wearing gloves to the grocery store. They are not protecting you and are simply spreading whatever you touch around the store and to your car and home (if you still have them on). Her advice is to sanitize before you go into the store, wear a mask to keep you from touching your face, shop, checkout, sanitize before you leave the store, open your car and put the bags inside,take off the mask, sanitize again, drive home, unload and store the groceries however you feel safe, then wash your hands and face thoroughly. She also tells us frequently that a cloth mask does not protect the wearer except to prevent face touching. It protects other people around the wearer in the event he/she is infected and cough or sneeze in a public place. But, keeping safe distance is still the best protection.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
One thing I feel very confident about -- there will NOT be another nationwide shutdown. The people, rightly or wrongly, will simply not stand for it.

This is probably very true. I know our NC governor would face a revolution if he tried to return us to Phase I. That said, the data in our state are looking worse every day.

I agree with this to a certain extent. If another complete lockdown were to come, people will complain. A lot. I don't know you'd see complete revolt, though. For the most part, Americans are law abiding citizens. There will be protests and social media will have 5,321,163,954 different memes posted daily comparing our leaders to the most vile dictators in history, but as long as there is another round of stimulus, people will pretty much stay home.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Well let's also not forget that the reason for the lockdowns (including no sporting activities) was to flatten the curve and allow hospitals to prepare and not become over burdened. That has been done. it was never to eradicate or stop the virus. Open things up. Example; My small town had a peaceful protest this past Saturday with a few hundred people crammed into our small city park. But yesterday, the city announced that the 4th of July fireworks would not be held because a few hundred people would be in the same park.

Also, take away the 30K to 40K deaths in New York where people were returned to nursing homes with the virus, and the infection to death rate is relativity on par with seasonal flu.

I find it hilarious that doctors' offices' everywhere are requiring masks and what not now, but during flu season, people can just hack cough and sneeze all over you. So only now did infectious disease's become a thing? Just reinforces the notion that the person who finished last in their med school class is still called "Doctor".

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well let's also not forget that the reason for the lockdowns (including no sporting activities) was to flatten the curve and allow hospitals to prepare and not become over burdened. That has been done. it was never to eradicate or stop the virus. Open things up. Example; My small town had a peaceful protest this past Saturday with a few hundred people crammed into our small city park. But yesterday, the city announced that the 4th of July fireworks would not be held because a few hundred people would be in the same park.

We are currently ready to open back up as the curve has indeed been flattened. This is not the issue. The issue is will the virus return in the fall pre-vaccine and require more shutdown.

Also, take away the 30K to 40K deaths in New York where people were returned to nursing homes with the virus, and the infection to death rate is relativity on par with seasonal flu.

Where are you getting your numbers from? There are between 3500-4500 deaths in NY state due to COVID 19 where the patient was in a nursing home or assisted care facility. This is, again, nowhere near the seasonal flu.

https://www.health.ny.gov/statistics/diseases/covid-19/fatalities_nursing_home_acf.pdf

I find it hilarious that doctors' offices' everywhere are requiring masks and what not now, but during flu season, people can just hack cough and sneeze all over you. So only now did infectious disease's become a thing? Just reinforces the notion that the person who finished last in their med school class is still called "Doctor".

Humans have antibodies to influenza. We don't have antibodies in our system for this disease. From the tone of this last sentence it would appear that no amount of empirical data, which is readily available, is going to convince you that we are enduring a true pandemic for the first time in 100 years. That being said, I truely hope you are right and this turns out to be a bunch of bunk. None of the scientific data leads me to believe that, though.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

(as I commonly do, I admit my goofs. I did use the sum of NYC deaths and New York deaths, just a rush on my math.)

Current deaths in USA as of today: 114K
Current positive tests in USA as of today: 2.02 million (and very very few people are getting tested)
Death rate of .05% (I'll even round it up .06%) ((Original reporting said the death rate would be 6%!!!! Big difference))
Common seasonal flu death rate .02-.03%

And as far as not having antibodies, I guess all those people who are asymptomatic are cyborgs here to rule over us.

Yea the sky is falling.

(My grandmother died alone in a nursing home last month, not from the virus but from being shut in and not being able to get and love on her family, so I have felt heartache from this)

AND don't forget, even if a person has the virus and does not die from it, it could still be classified as a covid death. Look at the WHO and CDC, they can't get their stories straight as to whats going on. Once all the data is in in a year or 2, the deaths will be reduced. As far as a re-occurrence, we will be ready for it. We weren't ready for it originally. But we cannot live in fear of this virus. Wash your hands often, don't talk to people nose to nose for extended periods of time, get out of the house or apartment for fresh air and sunshine and you will be fine, unless you have preexisting conditions that make you susceptible to the seasonal flu as well, then yes take more precautions-as you already should be doing.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...hUKEwiU84CowffpAhUVQjABHRZ0CL4Q4dUDCAw&uact=5

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I'm curious about is this: So far every report coming about teams opening facilities up is that it's "voluntary" for players. I'm sure the NCAA and colleges have lawyered up and have termed it "voluntary" for now to cover some rear ends. At what point does it become "mandatory" or else players get in trouble?

In past years all summer workouts were "voluntary" until training camp opened up, usually around Aug 1st. So it's still 'voluntary". Most of the true freshman would start the summer semester in early June and do some orientation things and classes. I cant remember if they participated in the "voluntary" workouts or not. In the past at most programs, if you skipped the "voluntary" workouts, you would be in danger of getting "processed". This things may be a little different this year because of the virus.

Well, one reason for that, to be fair, is that there are vaccines available every year for the various strains of flu.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Well, one reason for that, to be fair, is that there are vaccines available every year for the various strains of flu.

Very true, but even that is a crap shoot as to which strain of the flu will emerge. I've heard that the normal success rate of the average flu vaccine is only 20 to 30%.

Very true, but even that is a crap shoot as to which strain of the flu will emerge. I've heard that the normal success rate of the average flu vaccine is only 20 to 30%.
That may be true, but I have gotten flu shots every year for at least the past 20 years, and I haven't even had but one cold in all that time, and it only lasted a day. Not that flu shots have anything to do with colds, but regardless, I have no regrets getting those shots and will continue to do so.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe someone brought up the flu again. lol

These numbers are worse than the flu with the whole country shut down to prevent it.

Not to mention, flu deaths are over reported every year, too. If someone dies with flu-like symptoms during flu season with no clear cause, it is assumed to be the flu and reported as such.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Current deaths in USA as of today: 114K
Current positive tests in USA as of today: 2.02 million (and very very few people are getting tested)
Death rate of .05% (I'll even round it up .06%) ((Original reporting said the death rate would be 6%!!!! Big difference))

Your math is wrong. 114k of 2m is 5%, not .05% 114k/2m then multiply the answer by 100 to get your percent. 5% is not far off 6% and exponentially greater than .02% for the flu.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
AND don't forget, even if a person has the virus and does not die from it, it could still be classified as a covid death.

Comorbidity has been around for a very long time. As we have stated before, literally no one dies of AIDS, yet AIDS is responsible for the death of over 700,000 people every year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Im not sure a real flattening of the curve ever really happened. There is a reason why most other developed nations very cautiously opened up their economies even at the appearance of a flattened curve and have not seen any real resurgence spikes. Meanwhile in Texas, where they obviously reopened way too early, they are seeing huge spikes in cases and have set a record for hospitalizations for three straight days.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Im not sure a real flattening of the curve ever really happened. There is a reason why most other developed nations very cautiously opened up their economies even at the appearance of a flattened curve and have not seen any real resurgence spikes. Meanwhile in Texas, where they obviously reopened way too early, they are seeing huge spikes in cases and have set a record for hospitalizations for three straight days.
In NC right now we are supposed to be in Phase 2 of our reopening. There are some serious restrictions still in place that far too many people are simply ignoring. The state had to close down a racetrack this week because the local sheriff refused to follow the law he "disagrees with." Locally, our annual 4th of July festival was canceled a few weeks ago because the organizing committee felt it could not assure people it would be safe to attend. Then, two GOP members of the County Commission raised money and will stage their own version of the festival. So, we will have an event the governor and the local committee feels would be unsafe. This is just one of the reasons the data in NC are looking very bad right now. And, it could affect the reopening of our colleges and the football season.

We are having a political pissing contest about how to deal with the virus while other countries are simply doing what they have to do. This is stupid.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We are having a political pissing contest about how to deal with the virus while other countries are simply doing what they have to do. This is stupid.

This is true, but it is also not surprising. 244 years of individual freedom have conditioned us to resent being told what to do by our government. That's a part of our culture here in the USA that inhibits our leaders from curtailing the very dangers we face right now. Balancing liberty and safety is always a tricky decision, especially when it's the safety of others.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I was a history major, math went in one ear and out the other with out bouncing around.

But 6% death rate means that 94% of people who catch it will live. Pretty good odds.

300,000,000+ in the USA with 114K dead represents .038%. (work hard enough and the argument will match the stats lol)

All kidding aside, there is more and more evidence everyday that we knee jerked reaction the heck out of this. Some precaution is/was needed, but not shutting down life as we know it.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Just reinforces the notion that the person who finished last in their med school class is still called "Doctor".
There’s a reason it’s called medical practice. You don’t hear people referring to the Plumber as a Plumber’s practice, a Welder or an Electrician as a practice. Those talented individuals know what they’re doing. Doctors on the other hand, practice is what they need, on someone else but not me. I want someone that knows what they’re doing working on me, not some dude practicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.