Five Ala players have tested positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The virus is not a hoax, but the potency of it has been blown way out of proportion.

Not quite sure how you define "way out of proportion" but the current overall death rate for COVID-19 in the USA is 5.6% (Seasonal Flu is .02%) and the current death rate for resolved cases is 14.6%, though this final number is likely to continue to lower until the total number is in the 5-6% range. (It was over 20% a month ago) That's on par with what we are seeing worldwide statistically. This is far worse than the flu. Even if they co-opted every single flu case since February, as you alluded to earlier, it doesn't nearly account for the sheer number of infections and deaths this virus has wrought. We can debate reasonably the restrictions that should/shouldn't be put into place to control it, and I get that. As a society of freedom minded individuals, we chafe at authority and restrictions. What we shouldn't do is downplay the real threat of the issue to justify our positions in that debate.

As for myself, if the option to come to the games exists, I will be sorely tempted to take it. I'm as ready as everyone else to get back to "normal."

Just out of curiosity, are you going to self quarantine for 14 days after going to the game? Do you expect everyone who goes to the game to do the same? If not then it isn't exactly the grown up personal decision you are pretending it is. You bring up smoking, 26 states have laws prohibiting smoking in enclosed workplaces, including restaurants and bars. Why did they do that, do you think? You bring up drinking. For some reason it is illegal to drink and drive. Why do you think that is? When you start affecting the lives of others, things change.
Do you self-quarantine every time you go to the grocery store or some other open place like that? Your chance of getting exposed or being exposed in those places is good too.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Do you self-quarantine every time you go to the grocery store or some other open place like that? Your chance of getting exposed or being exposed in those places is good too.
My wife won't let me go grocery shopping. I literally haven't been inside a building besides my house and my moms house since early March. When my wife goes she wears a mask, and gloves which she promptly disposes of when she gets home. She also immediately takes a shower and washes her clothes when she gets home and completely wipes down everything that isn't produce. I obviously don't see her at the store, but knowing her she is staying as far away from everyone as possible. That is about the best we can do. We have to eat. Thats not nearly the same as voluntarily getting shoulder to shoulder with 50k people.

My wife won't let me go grocery shopping. I literally haven't been inside a building besides my house and my moms house since early March. When my wife goes she wears a mask, and gloves which she promptly disposes of when she gets home. She also immediately takes a shower and washes her clothes when she gets home and completely wipes down everything that isn't produce. I obviously don't see her at the store, but knowing her she is staying as far away from everyone as possible. That is about the best we can do. We have to eat. Thats not nearly the same as voluntarily getting shoulder to shoulder with 50k people.
So does she self-quarantine? Based on your logic, she should. We have no idea what kind of seating will be allowed at Grant Field, or any stadium. It won't be perfect, but at the same time, it might not be and need not be as bad as you project it will be.

So she leaves the gloves and mask on while she drives and introduces the virus into your car? Advise her to dump the gloves and mask at the grocery store in an outdoor trash can if she is worried.
If you leave the protective confines of your home, you run a risk, no matter where you go. So everybody should just stay in and go bananas and starve to death, I guess.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So she leaves the gloves and mask on while she drives and introduces the virus into your car? Advise her to dump the gloves and mask at the grocery store in an outdoor trash can if she is worried.
She leaves the gloves on so she can unload the groceries when she gets home. Not sure if she leaves the mask on on the drive home. She isn’t that worried about the car because she doesn’t get back in it for at least several days after that. I agree though, the other way may be better.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So does she self-quarantine? Based on your logic, she should. We have no idea what kind of seating will be allowed at Grant Field, or any stadium. It won't be perfect, but at the same time, it might not be and need not be as bad as you project it will be.
She rarely leaves the house for anything other than grocery shopping.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Whew,

Cigars are not nearly as bad as cigarettes, because you don't inhale. Mouth and esophageal cancer are still risks, but smoking fewer than 10 cigars a month, I generally smoke 5 a month, does not raise your cancer risk any more than sitting in traffic with your window down.

Drinking doesn't always have to result in a dui for it to become bad, ever hear or cirrhosis?

The virus is not a hoax, but the potency of it has been blown way out of proportion. You can see this as the CDC is now regularly scaling back what they originally put out about the virus.

Wash your hands before you eat. Don't stand nose to nose with someone for 10 minutes talking. Follow those 2 things and you will be ok. I'm not a doctor, but I have friends who are and I also (most importantly) don't get my news from any mainstream news source; including Fox News, CNN MSNBC etc.

And @Supersizethatorder-mutt, I'll remember that this fall, but I usually only smoke alone on the porch after work or with other cigar smokers because many don't like the smell of them so no ill will brother!

@takethepoints The CDC just announced this week that asymptomatic people, are NOT carriers, just like children are NOT carries.

You do realize one of the main reasons they have scaled back predictions Is because the whole world has been shut down. They said from the start that if we social distance correctly, it will make everything look like an overreaction. 100,000 people still died with the whole country down. That’s...not good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You do realize one of the main reasons they have scaled back predictions Is because the whole world has been shut down. They said from the start that if we social distance correctly, it will make everything look like an overreaction. 100,000 people still died with the whole country down. That’s...not good.

I think a lot of people conveniently miss that part. Look at the numbers starting to come in after a 1-2 weeks of removing shelter in place and lockdowns. It's not pretty, and the incubation period for the virus has a 10-14 day lag, which means there's a LOT of people walking around will be a statistic soon. Numbers a week to two weeks from now are probably going to start returning to pre lockdown numbers. Also, there are a few states hiding numbers which isn't giving decision makers a full picture.

Rounding this back to college sports this fall, the hope is numbers don't get so crazy that we go into another full blown shut down. I'm not sure we'll be able to get college sports off the ground, and I'm not sure the economy can take another hit if we have to go through another shutdown.

One thing I'm curious about is this: So far every report coming about teams opening facilities up is that it's "voluntary" for players. I'm sure the NCAA and colleges have lawyered up and have termed it "voluntary" for now to cover some rear ends. At what point does it become "mandatory" or else players get in trouble?

I think a lot of people conveniently miss that part. Look at the numbers starting to come in after a 1-2 weeks of removing shelter in place and lockdowns. It's not pretty, and the incubation period for the virus has a 10-14 day lag, which means there's a LOT of people walking around will be a statistic soon. Numbers a week to two weeks from now are probably going to start returning to pre lockdown numbers. Also, there are a few states hiding numbers which isn't giving decision makers a full picture.

Rounding this back to college sports this fall, the hope is numbers don't get so crazy that we go into another full blown shut down. I'm not sure we'll be able to get college sports off the ground, and I'm not sure the economy can take another hit if we have to go through another shutdown.

One thing I'm curious about is this: So far every report coming about teams opening facilities up is that it's "voluntary" for players. I'm sure the NCAA and colleges have lawyered up and have termed it "voluntary" for now to cover some rear ends. At what point does it become "mandatory" or else players get in trouble?
One thing I feel very confident about -- there will NOT be another nationwide shutdown. The people, rightly or wrongly, will simply not stand for it.

Milwaukee

Banned

lol I’m cryin over here. It all makes sense now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One thing I feel very confident about -- there will NOT be another nationwide shutdown. The people, rightly or wrongly, will simply not stand for it.
This is probably very true. I know our NC governor would face a revolution if he tried to return us to Phase I. That said, the data in our state are looking worse every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.