Five Ala players have tested positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milwaukee

Banned
Coronavirus cases in Texas are going through the roof now and they have reached a record number in hospitalizations. That has prompted the Governor to increase the amount of fans that can attend sporting events for some reason. Nothing is stopping this from coming back now, probably with full mask less attendance. America is bored with the virus.

Lol look at the death statistics and stop being a drama queen. Live in reality, not in political hypochondriac’s hypothetical “worst case” scenarios.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Lol look at the death statistics and stop being a drama queen. Live in reality, not in political hypochondriac’s hypothetical “worst case” scenarios.
Ok sure. Texas had its three deadliest days 2-3 weeks after reopening their economy and numbers still aren’t looking great there. That’s on top of the very coincidental huge increase in pneumonia deaths they have had.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Which death statistics?

Deaths as a % of total population of the USA? (0.034%)

Deaths as a % of total infections in the USA? (5.58%)

Deaths as a % of total cases that have had an outcome, i.e. recovered or died? (14.62%)

It's easy to debate using statistics, but we should agree to use all the statistics to paint the whole picture.

Milwaukee

Banned
Which death statistics?

Deaths as a % of total population of the USA? (0.034%)

Deaths as a % of total infections in the USA? (5.58%)

Deaths as a % of total cases that have had an outcome, i.e. recovered or died? (14.62%)

It's easy to debate using statistics, but we should agree to use all the statistics to paint the whole picture.

Absolutely. It’s not a death sentence.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Absolutely. It’s not a death sentence.

Ah but it is if you die from it..

Seriously though different people have different threat thresholds, there is nothing wrong with that.

My guess is that we will likely have a season barring a large spike post protests (in 2-4 weeks) from now. If there are isolated spikes I could see fabless games and schools isolating the players but this gets messy if hospitals start filling up rapidly in the fall.

My bigger question is will we get a complete season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
For either 99.97% or 94.5% or 85.4% that is correct. For the ones outside of that it certainly is.

I get what you are saying, and I tend to agree with cautiously opening up society, but this isn't "seasonal flu" death rates we are looking at.

Interesting since no one has died from the flu or pneumonia since mid February. Did we suddenly cure them?

Ah but it is if you die from it..

Seriously though different people have different threat thresholds, there is nothing wrong with that.

My guess is that we will likely have a season barring a large spike post protests (in 2-4 weeks) from now. If there are isolated spikes I could see fabless games and schools isolating the players but this gets messy if hospitals start filling up rapidly in the fall.

My bigger question is will we get a complete season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, but so is driving on I-285, if you have a wreck and die from it.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Dude, it's real simple, if you don't want to go, then don't go. But don't preach to those who know the "risks" and want to go.

Same for drinking and smoking. If you don't like it, don't do it. I don't drink anymore (7years sober next month) yet I some how am able to not get my panties in a wad when I see others drink. But I enjoy my cigars and will blow smoke in your face if you come up to me and start whining about the risks of it.

We are all grown ups who can make our own decisions. I mean, we've made it this far right?

Yep, you can die from falling in your home, so there is no need to take precautions during a global pandemic.
Precautions are fine; overreacting is not. I walk carefully in my home, and everywhere I go, for that matter. But I don't use a cane or a walker, because that would be overreacting. The same is true with the pandemic; precautions SHOULD be taken, but some measures are nothing short of overreacting.

Dude, it's real simple, if you don't want to go, then don't go. But don't preach to those who know the "risks" and want to go.

Same for drinking and smoking. If you don't like it, don't do it. I don't drink anymore (7years sober next month) yet I some how am able to not get my panties in a wad when I see others drink. But I enjoy my cigars and will blow smoke in your face if you come up to me and start whining about the risks of it.

We are all grown ups who can make our own decisions. I mean, we've made it this far right?
You'd better not go blowing smoke in my face when we finally meet. It won't be because I don't think it's not safe for you though; it will be because I HATE the smell of cigar smoke. My dad smoked them when I was a kid, and I hated the smell then and hate it even more now.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Just out of curiosity, are you going to self quarantine for 14 days after going to the game? Do you expect everyone who goes to the game to do the same? If not then it isn't exactly the grown up personal decision you are pretending it is. You bring up smoking, 26 states have laws prohibiting smoking in enclosed workplaces, including restaurants and bars. Why did they do that, do you think? You bring up drinking. For some reason it is illegal to drink and drive. Why do you think that is? When you start affecting the lives of others, things change.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

The difference is you can’t spread alcoholism to people you come in contact with.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

My one-time secretary made the same choice: she quit drinking and kept smoking. I told her and I'm telling you: reverse the choice. Your chances of dying from smoking are much, much higher then dying from drinking. But I'm guessing you already know that.

The rest of this post is based on a faulty analogy. A contagious disease is very different from even ambient tobacco smoke. You are potentially putting a lot of people at risk in a large gathering if you are an asymptomatic virus carrier. Especially if you are doing something like cheering or yelling. So here's the deal: you figure out a way that we can get everybody who comes to a Tech game tested before the game starts so we can exclude the people who are infected and we'll all go to the games and be happy when Tech wins. Otherwise, I expect you won't see many fans at the games, even if they are allowed. Remember, Tech's fanbase is largely older people. The choice: watch Tech win or risk dying in isolation from having your lungs liquify. I love Tech football, but not that much.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Whew,

Cigars are not nearly as bad as cigarettes, because you don't inhale. Mouth and esophageal cancer are still risks, but smoking fewer than 10 cigars a month, I generally smoke 5 a month, does not raise your cancer risk any more than sitting in traffic with your window down.

Drinking doesn't always have to result in a dui for it to become bad, ever hear or cirrhosis?

The virus is not a hoax, but the potency of it has been blown way out of proportion. You can see this as the CDC is now regularly scaling back what they originally put out about the virus.

Wash your hands before you eat. Don't stand nose to nose with someone for 10 minutes talking. Follow those 2 things and you will be ok. I'm not a doctor, but I have friends who are and I also (most importantly) don't get my news from any mainstream news source; including Fox News, CNN MSNBC etc.

And @Supersizethatorder-mutt, I'll remember that this fall, but I usually only smoke alone on the porch after work or with other cigar smokers because many don't like the smell of them so no ill will brother!

@takethepoints The CDC just announced this week that asymptomatic people, are NOT carriers, just like children are NOT carries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.