Five Ala players have tested positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Multiple teams across the nation have SAs that have tested positive. That in itself isn't a big deal, but if it starts to spread and players start getting hospitalized, that's where we will have issues.

All we can do is wait and see.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If you test 100 guys, not too surprising to find 5 positives. Will be interesting to see how it is handled as we get closer to the season. Nobody knows how this will go. Hope for the best.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Ryan, Yes!

Tuesday receive testing.
Wednesday practice.
Thursday receive results.

Mindblowing?

Hope GT learns from this!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It would be interesting to know if the tests were virus tests or antibody tests. If antibody tests, then it might not be a concern as they might not currently have the virus at all.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Ryan, Yes!

Tuesday receive testing.
Wednesday practice.
Thursday receive results.

Mindblowing?

Hope GT learns from this!

wasn’t a practice. It was players doing it on their own. However, they should have made it clear the that the players should remain isolated from each other until the test results were returned.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Multiple teams across the nation have SAs that have tested positive. That in itself isn't a big deal, but if it starts to spread and players start getting hospitalized, that's where we will have issues.

All we can do is wait and see.
Yep. This might actually be a good thing. Seeing the coronavirus case count go up via carriers who show no symptoms continues to reinforce that the virus is LESS bad. Severe symptoms or hospitalization = MORE bad.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep. This might actually be a good thing. Seeing the coronavirus case count go up via carriers who show no symptoms continues to reinforce that the virus is LESS bad. Severe symptoms or hospitalization = MORE bad.
108 thousand dead is pretty bad, more that Vietnam war and Korean war combined

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
108 thousand dead is pretty bad, more that Vietnam war and Korean war combined
Agreed. Hopefully these guys are in the low risk category. The fact that they presented no symptoms seems like a great thing on the surface, provided they don't pass the virus to others. I would love it if we continue to drive the confirmed case count up solely via folks who demonstrate no symptoms.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Hopefully these guys are in the low risk category. The fact that they presented no symptoms seems like a great thing on the surface, provided they don't pass the virus to others. I would love it if we continue to drive the confirmed case count up solely via folks who demonstrate no symptoms.

The other thing here, which isn't discussed much, is a slow micro level herd immunity within teams. Obviously we can't tell how each individual will react to the virus, especially among the OL/DL group that's in the BMI danger zone (which I discussed in another thread), but if each team can develop a theoretical herd immunity over the coming months, there may be some safe distance for resuming full athletic normality during the playing season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the recent news about 5 Bammer players testing positive for the virus may put a fork in the season. I expect similar results for the players who participated in off season workouts at many schools.

We'll see, but, if I was a parent of a player at a major program and my child was threatened, that kid would be home and isolated in a New York minute.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I think the recent news about 5 Bammer players testing positive for the virus may put a fork in the season. I expect similar results for the players who participated in off season workouts at many schools.

We'll see, but, if I was a parent of a player at a major program and my child was threatened, that kid would be home and isolated in a New York minute.

If they were in New York, they would already have had it. ;) We are trending in a positive direction. Basketball is coming back at end of July. They will be playing baseball (unless they are total idiots) by July 4th. Golf starts this weekend. Disney World is opening back up. Why in the world are you so negative?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If they were in New York, they would already have had it. ;) We are trending in a positive direction. Basketball is coming back at end of July. They will be playing baseball (unless they are total idiots) by July 4th. Golf starts this weekend. Disney World is opening back up. Why in the world are you so negative?
The holdup with MLB has NOTHING to do with the virus. If only they could get past the financial deadlock... then we could see how they'll address the implications of the virus. :mad:

herb

Helluva Engineer
The holdup with MLB has NOTHING to do with the virus. If only they could get past the financial deadlock... then we could see how they'll address the implications of the virus. :mad:

Lol, I knew that, hence the total idiot aside. They are going to lose a lot more than one year if they don’t start soon.

Milwaukee

Banned

Huh/What?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Why would it , it won't stop Alabama ?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Coronavirus cases in Texas are going through the roof now and they have reached a record number in hospitalizations. That has prompted the Governor to increase the amount of fans that can attend sporting events for some reason. Nothing is stopping this from coming back now, probably with full mask less attendance. America is bored with the virus.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coronavirus cases in Texas are going through the roof now and they have reached a record number in hospitalizations. That has prompted the Governor to increase the amount of fans that can attend sporting events for some reason. Nothing is stopping this from coming back now, probably with full mask less attendance. America is bored with the virus.
In NC the governor has moved us into Phase Two of reopening. Some people felt he was too optimistic and now we are seeing all of our data moving in the wrong direction. In my small town we are having a serious conflict between people who want to open the economy and those who want safety. I am not sure who will win. But NC is looking very scary right now and I am personally back in Phase I. NC is a bellwether for the country. Dem gov and increasing cases in spite of a slower reopening.

Status
Not open for further replies.