FIU, Coastal, Albany versus GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The wet field may have had an impact.

I think the field was an issue plus our team was out in the cold/rain for 4-5 hours more than Coastal. FIU made 5 errors. Coastal had no errors and played a cleaner game overall.

Anyway, in big ACC games yesterday, UNC, Louisville and Miami all lost. That is bad for us (n) http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com...CollegeBaseballDaily+(College+Baseball+Daily)

I like the early game today since I have an afternoon party. But it looks like rain in Conway - start off at 57F which is a lot better than 37F yesterday to start.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yup, another error and 3 unearned runs. We won't go far unless we get better fielding and pitching.

Playing two games in the cold is a big disadvantage when the other team gets one game and it's warmer. But we had our chances and played sloppy. Coastal only scored in one inning and got so many runs since Hall is slow to pull pitchers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I figured we'd go 2 for 3 this weekend. So just need to beat Albany tomorrow.

I agree COMPLETELY with everything you said above. What drives me nuts is NOT that we gave up 2 HR's that inning, sometimes you are going to get beat. What drives me nuts is how that inning got started...a walk, an error and a hit batsman. That's 3 right there we GAVE them, and giving someone runs is a sure way to get beat. Frankly, if I were Howell and/or Hall, I would be more inclined to pull pitchers or demote them from their starting roles for walks and hit batsmen than anything else. NB-I am NOT saying we should demote Parr because of this....yet. I am saying if he can't get it straightened out, then we should but he certainly deserves a couple or three more starts to see if he can get turned around. Parr yesterday walked 6 and hit 1, while giving up only 4 hits. You can't do that and stay on the mound, imho.

But overall, we cannot continue to give up 8 runs a game to competition the likes of Coastal and FIU (both decent but neither likely candidates for Omaha) and expect to go very far. The defense was very solid last year, so I expect that to come around. Same kid who made that error yesterday was near flawless in the 2nd half of the season last year, so we will be OK there I believe. But boy it drives me nuts that Danny Hall does not seem to be able to either recruit the top pitching talent, or develop it (take your pick, I am not sure which it is) compared to other top programs. When is the last time GT had a pitcher good enough to make it far in the pros? //end rant

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
FYI, so far this weekend, Fordham has lost to Illinois and Florida Gulf Coast to drop to 1-4 on the season. Our loss to them last weekend is certainly looking like a bad loss right about now.

Can Kel Johnson pitch? ;)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's a reason we weren't in the Top 25. After these two losses to Fordham and Coastal, we won't be there for a while. Probably mid-season at best.

The only thing I disagree with is questioning whether the staff is good at developing pitching talent. Clay, Heddinger, Isaacs, Grimes, Farmer, Bard, Bradley, Pope, Esch, Jacob were all MLB drafted pitchers from GT since 2011. Only Farmer, Grimes and Jacob were drafted out of HS. And only one has been good enough so far to make it to the majors - Farmer. But I think that is because the raw talent wasn't there to start with. And Smelter not making it was not on the pitching staff - just bad luck. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft/research.asp?Y1=&Y2=&R=&RS==&Ov=&Ovs==&T=&Player=&School=Georgia Tech&Pos=&HL=&Region=&P=June-Reg&CT=&Bonus=0&Signed=&Active=&Source=&Bats=&Throws=&Sort=

So while I agree that we don't in general get great pitching talent; the staff does a good job of developing them. Contrast that to UVa or Miami that get bunches of top 100 pitchers and pitchers who are drafted out of HS.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FYI, so far this weekend, Fordham has lost to Illinois and Florida Gulf Coast to drop to 1-4 on the season. Our loss to them last weekend is certainly looking like a bad loss right about now.

Can Kel Johnson pitch? ;)

I saw a stat for Kel that said his throw from the outfield was clocked at 95 mph .........

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT 3-0 after one. This is going to be the first game of the year we lead from beginning to end. Mark it down.

Stanton - 15 pitches and 13 strikes in the first. He keeps that up and it will be a quick game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Stanton gives up 5 runs (so far) with three walks including based loaded walks.

Once again Hall waited way too long. I hope not to see Parr or Stanton start next weekend. Let someone else start and see how they do. We have so many pitchers that we need to try more.

We are playing what is supposed to be the worst team in a no-name conference.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Hall needs to recruit better pitchers. Remember when we had weekend starters and aces like Pope, Bradley and Farmer?

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Albany leads 8-6 now. Tech loaded the bases two straight innings, but left them stranded. Cole Pitts comes on in the 8th and gets a 1-2-3 inning. Middle of the 8th now, Tech trails 8-6.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Failed to mention that the 8th run was on a fielding error by Gonzo. After strikeout, Pabst threw to Gonzo who muffed it and allowed the steal to third rather than end the inning.

The Coastal fans are rooting for the underdog, Albany. If I were in their position, I would too.

We just wiffed the 8th and will need two or more to tie in the 9th.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We still gave up 8 runs per game to the likes of Albany, FIU and Coastal. Decent but not superlative teams. We were good enough to hit our way to wins in 2 of 3 games, but against very good teams, that isn't going to be the case.

Hall needs to find a way to shore up the defense. Giving up 8 runs per is just not going to cut it.